States Combat Drug Reps to Cut Costs

uscitizen

Villified User
States Combat Drug Reps to Cut Costs

Monday March 3, 7:09 AM EST

ENOLA, Pa. (AP) — Leigh Bradshaw could be mistaken for a drug-company sales rep as she pulls out charts and leaflets to tell Dr. Ernest Josef about the costs and benefits of various cholesterol-lowering drugs.

But notably absent during her visit to his family practice is the swag typical of a pharmaceutical marketing arsenal — the free pill samples, the logo-emblazoned pads and pens, the free lunch for doctor and staff.

That's because Bradshaw, a registered nurse, isn't trying to pitch a product for a drug manufacturer. She works for Pennsylvania taxpayers.

In a David vs. Goliath battle, Pennsylvania is among a handful of states trying — with modest results at best — to counter the pharmaceutical industry's multibillion-dollar marketing and cut costs for prescription-aid programs for senior citizens, who are bombarded with "ask your doctor" advertising.
~
In visits with doctors, Pennsylvania's consultants share findings such as:

—The cost of a 20-milligram daily dose of various cholesterol drugs can range from 13 cents for generics to $4.53 for one of the more expensive brand names.
~
States are clearly outgunned.http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8v5um380&date=20080303

The industry spends more than $7 billion a year on direct marketing to doctors and employs about 90,000 salespeople — one for every five doctors, according to the Prescription Project, a campaign funded by The Pew Charitable Trusts to challenge pharmaceutical marketing practices.

So could the state save me money on my car if they told people not to buy from car salesmen? How about electronics. Maybe my computer would be cheaper if Best Buy had no sales people. Drug reps are just part of the program. States are trying to take the market out of the free market here.

So could the state save me money on my car if they told people not to buy from car salesmen? How about electronics. Maybe my computer would be cheaper if Best Buy had no sales people. Drug reps are just part of the program. States are trying to take the market out of the free market here.

I don't think your analogies are even close. You don't have to go to someone who is supposed to be acting in your best interest and who is responsible for giving you permission to make a purchase when you buy a car or a computer. When you want to buy prescription drugs, you first have to go to a doctor, who is supposed to do what is best for you and on whose expertise and knowledge you rely in making a purchase. A doctor isn't supposed to be a salesperson.

And really, attempting to limit the impact of asymmetric information doesn't make the market less free, it makes it more free.

But what was it in the article one drug pusher for every 5 doctors ? Seems a bit high to me. and that cost is passed onto we consumers in higher health care costs.

Drugs are not cars. You should take what drugs you need to cure your illness, and to know what drugs you need to cure an illness, you need 8 years of school, not a 30-second commercial. A 30-second commercial even pretending to give you accurate information on the subject of the drug is fraud.

Back