Sterilize the poor

Cypress

Louisiana State Representative John LaBruzzo is considering proposing a plan that would pay poor women $1,000 to be sterilized. He has said the program would be voluntary, could involve sterilization of both women and men, could encourage other forms of birth control, and could include tax incentives that would encourage people in higher socio-economic classes to have more children.

John Labruzzo

LaBruzzo told the The Times-Picayune that what he is “really studying is any and all possibilities that we can [use to] reduce the number of people that are going from generational welfare to generational welfare.” After witnessing the evacuations from hurricanes Katrina and Gustav, he told the New Orleans City Business that he “realized that all these people were in Louisiana’s care and what a massive financial responsibility that is to the state…I said, ‘I wonder if it might be a good idea to pay some of these people to get sterilized.”

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/labruzzo_sterilization_plan_fi.html

This is bullsh*t. Somebody please show me the morality in creating an economic incentive to sterilize poor people? This is reactionary bullshit at its most horrofic. What century is this?

It's not only racist coercion, it doesn't even make a damn bit of sense as public policy. Want to reduce the number of poor people on welfare? Gee, lets think about this.

1) Sterlize them. Or, create economic incentives for them to self-sterilize. Not much difference.

2) Mandate a living wage, universal healthcare, mandatory paid maternity/paternity leave, and free college education for everybody. We had a trillion dollars for Wall Street, a Trillion dollars for the iraq war, and Sweden does it. So, why the hell not.

Oh, and check out the bit about paying rich people to have more children, while we sterilize poor people. Class warfare, game on!

This is brilliant!; All the wingnut whackery, boiled down to its core essence, to one metaphor in a couple of paragraphs. .

Tell me this isn't serious?

This is not the far right in America, this is the centre-right who support things like this. Look how far they've gone away from American values, and ask yourself, how could anyone support these barbaric madmen?

He needs to send them to San Francisco where the "in" thing among young hippies is to sterilize themselves so as to not contribute to over populating the planet.

Back