Stevens Guilty

Bonestorm

Thrillhouse
I wonder what the people of the great state of Alaska will do in the election. It'll be interesting to see Stevens legislating from prison. If they do elect him, I'd be pissed if anyone tried to kick him out of the Senate.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A jury found U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska guilty Monday of all seven counts in his federal corruption trial.
Sen. Ted Stevens leaves the federal courthouse last week with his daughter Beth Stevens.

Sen. Ted Stevens leaves the federal courthouse last week with his daughter Beth Stevens.

The jury found Stevens guilty of "knowingly and willfully" scheming to conceal on Senate disclosure forms more than $250,000 in home renovations and other gifts from an Alaska-based oil industry contractor.

The jury began deliberations at noon Wednesday, but started anew Monday morning when an alternate replaced a juror who left town abruptly last week because of the death of her father.

The verdict comes after jurors in the corruption trial of Sen. Ted Stevens spotted a discrepancy Monday between the government's indictment of the veteran Alaska Republican and a key piece of evidence.

The judge declined to throw out the related charge against Stevens, who has been fighting seven counts of filing false statements on mandatory Senate financial disclosure forms, involving hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gifts and work on his Alaska home.

The indictment accuses Stevens of checking "No" in response to a question about whether Stevens or his family had "any reportable gift ... more than $260" in 2001. But the form introduced as evidence in court shows he checked "Yes."

The jury sent out a note on the issue, prompting a debate between defense and prosecution attorneys about what instructions Judge Emmet G. Sullivan should send the jury.

Prosecutors said the error was simply a "typo" on the indictment, and that other charges and evidence covered Steven's alleged failure to disclose the home renovations at issue in the case.

Stevens' defense said the judge should toss out the count that no longer matched the evidence.

The judge bristled at the claim by prosecutors that the error was typographical, saying that "presumably someone reads these things" as an indictment is written.

But he did say the defense proposal went too far, instead deciding to tell the jury to match the available evidence with the appropriate charges in the indictment.

"The indictment is merely a charging document, it is not evidence. You must consider all the evidence and my instructions to determine if the government has proven each element in the indictment beyond a reasonable doubt."

The note comes after the jury began deliberations with a new juror replacing one who left town abruptly last week because of the death of her father.

Juror No. 4 is a paralegal in her 40s. She told a U.S. marshal that she had to leave the state for a family emergency after the jury was dismissed Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan dismissed the jury Friday morning after the woman left for California, hoping to resume with her on the panel as soon as possible.

Since then, court officials have made several unsuccessful attempts to reach the woman. It was unclear whether she will return to Washington, the judge said.

She had been asked to speak with Sullivan and attorneys in the case in a phone conversation Sunday afternoon, but they couldn't contact her.

"I think we have been more than reasonable" in trying to reach her, Sullivan told the court Sunday, saying the woman chose "not to further communicate with the court."

The trial was scheduled to resume at 9 a.m. Monday with a brief vetting of the alternate, followed by deliberations.

Defense attorneys for Stevens, who was in court Sunday, had asked the judge to put off deliberations another day as they awaited the return of juror No. 4, arguing against inserting an alternate in the middle of the process.

"They have not been deliberating all that long," Sullivan responded.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/27/stevens.jurors/index.html

Well, how could he serve from prison? What would happen if those fools did elect him?

Don't know. I just have a problem with people coming in after an election where the public was fully aware of the conduct alleged and the candidate's guilt and removing the victor from office. If the people know he is a crook and vote for him anyway, they should get to keep their crook.

I wonder what the people of the great state of Alaska will do in the election. It'll be interesting to see Stevens legislating from prison. If they do elect him, I'd be pissed if anyone tried to kick him out of the Senate.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/27/stevens.jurors/index.html

Good. That idiot should be in jail for a long time.

My guess is they will still elect him.... which means the governor would then appoint his replacement.

Similar to Missouri electing Carnahan after he died.

Good. That idiot should be in jail for a long time.

My guess is they will still elect him.... which means the governor would then appoint his replacement.

Similar to Missouri electing Carnahan after he died.

that's pretty sad.

i see what dh is saying now. they'll vote for a convicted crook just to keep the seat republican.

i agree with him - they should be stuck with him.

that's pretty sad.

i see what dh is saying now. they'll vote for a convicted crook just to keep the seat republican.

by that logic Missouri should have been stuck with a dead man.

by that logic Delaware should be stuck with no one

that's pretty sad.

obviously I disagree. The public should be able to vote for someone that shares their political beliefs. In your scenario the Republicans would all have to vote for a Democrat. They are supposed to have a CHOICE.

I am going to call this right now... Palin steps down as governor, her Lt steps up to be Governor and appoints Palin to take the seat

Let me make myself clear: if Stevens wins and resigns that is fine by me. But Stevens should not be forced out by anyone else. If he wants to stay and is elected, he should stay.

Let me make myself clear: if Stevens wins and resigns that is fine by me. But Stevens should not be forced out by anyone else. If he wants to stay and is elected, he should stay.

Point taken. I would agree with that. But knowing some of the people that work for Stevens, I am guessing he will be convinced resignation is the proper course.

Well, he's got to win first. I don't think he'll win.

I do. If he had not been convicted, he would likely have lost to Begich (sp?)

But now that he is convicted, I think those that wanted a Rep, but didn't want Stevens again will come back into the fold and vote for him.... assuming that he will not be the Rep to represent them.

Just a guess.

Really DH? In Alaska?

How much of a gamechanger do you think this is? They are pretty diehard Republicans.

The race was already close. Notwithstanding their historical support for Republicans, I just don't see how Stevens could win. Voting for a convicted felon that is guilty of public corruption and was convicted 8 days before the election seems to be just a bit too much.

I also don't think the bankshot theory (i.e. voting Stevens to get some other Republican) is credible.

I doubt enough voters would be aware of the procedural mechanisms for replacing Senators for it to be significant.

I do think what might be significant is Alaska's historically Republican lean, and the presence of Palin on the ticket.

But I don't pretend to know. I guess we'll see.

I just think it is a fine thing that this corrupt fucker is going to get to spend some time in Club Fed. Even if it is Club Fed.

Sen. Stevens found guilty on corruption charges
Jurors decide Alaska lawmaker lied about home renovations, other gifts

updated 17 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Sen. Ted Stevens was convicted of corruption charges Monday in a trial that threatened to end the 40-year career of Alaska's political patriarch.

Stevens, 84, was found guilty of all seven felony charges he faced of lying about free home renovations and other gifts he received from a wealthy oil contractor. Jurors began deliberating last week.

Visibly shaken after the verdicts were read, Stevens tried to intertwine his fingers but quickly put his hands down to his side after noticing they were trembling. As he left the courtroom, Stevens got a quick kiss on the cheek from his wife, Catherine, who testified on his behalf during the trial. He declined to talk to reporters waiting outside.

Stevens faces up to five years in prison on each count when he is sentenced, but under federal guidelines he is likely to receive much less prison time, if any. The judge originally scheduled sentencing for Jan. 26 but then changed his mind and did not immediately set a date.

The jurors left the court without comment.

Said U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan: "The jurors have unanimously told me that no one has any desire to speak to any member of the media. They have asked to go home and they are en route home."

The jurors had been shuttled to and from the proceedings each day by court officials.

Dueling accounts
The verdict, coming barely a week before Election Day, increased Stevens' difficulty in winning what already was a difficult race against Democratic challenger Mark Begich. Democrats hope to seize the once reliably Republican seat as part of their bid for a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

The monthlong trial revealed that employees for oil services company VECO Corp. transformed the senator's modest mountain cabin into a modern, two-story home with wraparound porches, a sauna and a wine cellar.

The Senate's longest-serving Republican, Stevens said he had no idea he was getting freebies. He said he paid $160,000 for the project and believed that covered everything.

Stevens had asked for an unusually speedy trial, hoping he'd be exonerated in time to return to Alaska and win re-election. He kept his campaign going and gave no indication that he had a contingency plan in case of conviction.

Despite being a convicted felon, he is not required to drop out of the race or resign from the Senate. If he wins re-election, he can continue to hold his seat because there is no rule barring felons from serving in Congress. The Senate could vote to expel Stevens on a two-thirds vote.

"Put this down: That will never happen — ever, OK?" Stevens said in the weeks leading up to his trial. "I am not stepping down. I'm going to run through and I'm going to win this election.

Democrats have invested heavily in the race, running television advertisements starring fictional FBI agents and featuring excerpts from wiretaps.

Old friend's testimony crucial
Stevens' conviction hinged on the testimony of Bill Allen, the senator's longtime drinking and fishing buddy. Allen, the founder of VECO, testified that he never billed his friend for the work on the house and that Stevens knew he was getting a special deal.

Stevens spent three days on the witness stand, vehemently denying that allegation. He said his wife, Catherine, paid every bill they received.

Living in Washington, thousands of miles away, made it impossible to monitor the project every day. Stevens relied on Allen to oversee the renovations, he said, and his friend deceived him by not forwarding all the bills.

Prosecutors used a barrage of witnesses to question how Stevens could have been in the dark about VECO's work on the project. VECO employees testified to seeing Stevens at the house. One left him a company business card. Stevens sent thank you notes to others.

Stevens' conviction is the highlight of a lengthy FBI investigation into Alaska corruption, but prosecutors noted that it is not the end. Stevens' longtime Republican colleague, Rep. Don Young, remains under investigation for his ties to VECO. Stevens' son, Ben, a former Alaska lawmaker, is also under investigation.

Stevens is a legendary figure in Alaska, where he has wielded political influence since before statehood. His knack for steering billions of dollars in federal money to his home state has drawn praise from his constituents and consternation from budget hawks.

Call for resignation
There was no immediate word on Stevens' campaign plans. His spokesman, Aaron Saunders, did not immediately return a message seeking comment on whether Stevens would stay in the race.

In Alaska, the Democratic Party issued a statement calling for Stevens to resign immediately. "He knew what he was doing was wrong," the party said. "But he did it anyway and lied to Alaskans about it."

Stevens is the sixth senator convicted of criminal charges. The last previous one was Republican David Durenberger of Minnesota, who was indicted in 1993 on charges of conspiring to make fraudulent claims for Senate reimbursement of $3,825 in lodging expenses. He later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges and was sentenced to one year of probation and a $1,000 fine.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press.

Back