Supreme Court rules in favor of showing ID's to vote

WRL

Well...the right is right
Supreme Court says states can demand photo ID for voting

WASHINGTON (AP) — States can require voters to produce photo identification, the Supreme Court ruled Monday, upholding a Republican-inspired law that Democrats say will keep some poor, older and minority voters from casting ballots.

The ruling means the ID requirement will be in effect for next week's presidential primary in Indiana, where a significant number of new voters are expected to turn out for the Democratic contest between Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

Supporters of the law say it's all about preventing fraud.

Indiana has a "valid interest in protecting 'the integrity and reliability of the electoral process,'" said Justice John Paul Stevens in an opinion that was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Anthony Kennedy.

Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David Souter dissented.

Indiana's voter ID law "threatens to impose nontrivial burdens on the voting rights of tens of thousands of the state's citizens," Souter said.
The targets of the law, he said, are "voters who are poor and old."

Stevens wrote that the law does not single out groups of voters for different treatment. "We cannot conclude that the statute imposes 'excessively burdensome requirements' on any class of voters," he said.

Indiana provides IDs free of charge to people without driver's licenses. It also allows voters who lack photo ID's to cast a provisional ballot and then show up within 10 days at their county courthouse to produce identification or otherwise attest to their identity. Stevens said these provisions also help reduce the burden on people who lack driver's licenses.

Indiana Secretary of State Todd Rokita, a Republican, praised the decision. "This says to the voter you can have confidence again in the elections because we're doing some of the things the guy at the video store does when you go and rent a video," Rokita said.

Ken Falk, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana, said the court was willing to burden "tens of thousands of eligible voters who lack a government-issued identification while accepting at face value Indiana's unsubstantiated claim of voter fraud." The ACLU brought the case on behalf of Indiana voters.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iegvd98ph9koi4IJgrhdaPAwZsxQD90B2TM80

Interesting, I guess this finally puts this under wraps, The Supreme Court has spoken, and the timing was great Democrats, trying undo an election law a week before the election...

Will absentee and mail-in voters, who are predominantly white and affluent, have to show ID's at the post office before they mail in their ballots?

Will absentee and mail-in voters, who are predominantly white and affluent, have to show ID's at the post office before they mail in their ballots?
I think the best idea would be to make a copy of their identification to send with the ballot.

Of course, I imagine even poor people can manage the mail system, and most of them can even afford the 10 cents to make a copy at the library.

I think the best idea would be to make a copy of their identification to send with the ballot.

Of course, I imagine even poor people can manage the mail system, and most of them can even afford the 10 cents to make a copy at the library.

Because all we need to do is make voting even less intuitive whenever voting turnout is already at the lowest level in the developed world. You say "ZOMG how could you forget to go to the library ZOMG?!" People do it all the time, Damo. Humans are clumbsy, even highly intelligent ones, and we are designing a voting system for humans after all.

Anyway, mailing a copy of your identification would be just ridiculously easy to break. I'd just copy my dead grandpa's and send another ballot in stamped for Obama.

I will take pleasure in revealing to you people the conservative answer to my well thought out, rational response.

"ZOMG if they're too stupit than that they dont need to vote lol!"

I don't think anyone who voted for Bush has any business judging whether or not anyone else should vote, but they will yet.

Because all we need to do is make voting even less intuitive whenever voting turnout is already at the lowest level in the developed world. You say "ZOMG how could you forget to go to the library ZOMG?!" People do it all the time, Damo. Humans are clumbsy, even highly intelligent ones, and we are designing a voting system for humans after all.

Anyway, mailing a copy of your identification would be just ridiculously easy to break. I'd just copy my dead grandpa's and send another ballot in stamped for Obama.
Yeah, and you could do that now, right without the added inconvenience of grabbing an ID from your dead Grandpa.

Of course, many states purge voting records. I imagine you could also do that just by showing up with a copy of an electric bill edited to show your grandpa's address and name instead of yours. When you do that there wouldn't even be evidence of fraud and according to many people on this board, if you can do it like that then it doesn't exist.

Of course, I assume they could just show up and vote like they do.

Yeah, and you could do that now, right without the added inconvenience of grabbing an ID from your dead Grandpa.

Of course, many states purge voting records. I imagine you could also do that just by showing up with a copy of an electric bill edited to show your grandpa's address and name instead of yours. When you do that there wouldn't even be evidence of fraud and according to many people on this board, if you can do it like that then it doesn't exist.

The vote ID fearmongering is overblown IMHO.

But heck, according to Cypress people who are poor can't figure out how to use the US Postal service.

Yeah, it's an idea.

The point is, nobody is demanding that absentee voters show ID. So, on message boards we can sip our cappacinos and come up with all the ideas we want.

In the real world, I've not heard one republican politician complain that absentee voters need to show ID.

And guess what? The ones they DO want to show ID's typically have darker skin, and lower incomes.

Its doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this scam.

Yeah, it's an idea.

The point is, nobody is demanding that absentee voters show ID. So, on message boards we can sip our cappacinos and come up with all the ideas we want.

In the real world, I've not heard one republican politician complain that absentee voters need to show ID.

And guess what? The ones they DO want to show ID's typically have darker skin, and lower incomes.

Its doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this scam.
Except we are. You keep saying "Nobody is demanding"...

And you keep ignoring the people actually talking about it right under your nose. In fact many people on here today spoke of making it far more difficult to vote absentee to begin with. It shouldn't be used just because your ass is too lazy. It should be used for a REASON like your ass is in Iraq.

Personally I think a copy of the identification, or stopping by the courthouse with our ID within 10 days (like the precinct voting requirement) would do.

Of course, requiring a copy for absentee ballots would basically amount to a poll tax, even if it is trivial. It wouldn't pass constitutional muster. If we could mail out copies of ID cards to everyone in the state, now...

Of course, requiring a copy for absentee ballots would basically amount to a poll tax, even if it is trivial. It wouldn't pass constitutional muster. If we could mail out copies of ID cards to everyone in the state, now...
Hence the "or drop by within 10 days with identification" part. Just like the reason the other one passed. It would be "provisional" until identification was supplied in one form or another.

I think Cypress just chooses his stances on issues by trying to project what a racist would choose and doing the opposite, then assuming all his opponents are racist.

In KY you have had to show your ID to vote for years, unelss the poll worker knows you.

Where I live the poll workers know 80% of the voters.
Different in the city precincts though.

In KY you have had to show your ID to vote for years, unelss the poll worker knows you.

Where I live the poll workers know 80% of the voters.
Different in the city precincts though.
I have to write down what form of ID they bring, so I have to ask from even the people I know. Which is about 80% of the people who come in...

Back