Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in DC Gun Ban case today

Little-Acorn

Oral arguments are today, and the ruling is expected I believe in midsummer.

The 2nd amendment, in modern language, says:

Since an armed and capable populace is necessary for security and freedom, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other weapons cannot be taken away or restricted.

Surprising how many people have trouble with it, though. Talking like Shakespeare talked, is difficult for some, I guess, though people of that period had no problem reading and understanding it. It still means now, exactly what it meant then. Neither the 2nd amendment, nor the society it is meant to protect, has fundamentally changed. Cars, iPods, and computers don't change human nature.

The gun issue, generally, revolves around the question of whether politicians trust the citizens to make their own decisions about guns, personal protection, etc. Conservatives (when you can find them) do trust people to do so and learn from their mistakes. The southpaws among us mostly don't, and feel that government (that is, the southpaws) should take that responsibility from them.

The Supreme Court has been asked to decide whether in DC, an attempt to take that right (and responsibility) away from the people, violates the Constitution.

----------------------------

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120579647855943453.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries

Gun-Rights Showdown

by RANDY E. BARNETT
March 18, 2008

Today, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in the case of Heller v. District of Columbia, a suit brought by several D.C. citizens contending that the ban on the possession of operable firearms inside one's home violates the Second Amendment. The Circuit Court of Appeals for D.C. agreed and held the ban to be unconstitutional. However it is decided, Heller is already historic. For the first time in recent memory, the Supreme Court will consider the original meaning of a significant passage of the Constitution unencumbered by its own prior decisions. The majority and dissenting opinions in this case will be taught in law schools for years to come. Here's a layman's guide to the significance of the case:

- Heller will be decided on originalist grounds. Among law professors, enforcing the original meaning of the Constitution is highly controversial. Critics of originalism deny that we should be ruled by the "dead hand of the past." They prefer following Supreme Court precedents that may or may not be consistent with original meaning. Any justice who today professes a commitment to originalism is branded a radical; and all Supreme Court nominees are now grilled on their commitment to the doctrine of stare decisis. But what are old precedents if not the "dead hand" of dead justices?

Significantly, then, both sides in Heller are making only originalist arguments. The challengers of the law contend that the original meaning of the Second Amendment protects an individual "right to keep and bear arms" that "shall not be infringed." In response, the District does not contend that this right is outmoded and that the Second Amendment should now be reinterpreted in light of changing social conditions. Not at all. It contends instead that, because the original intention of the Framers of the Second Amendment was to protect the continued existence of "a well regulated militia," the right it protects was limited to the militia context.

So one thing is certain. Whoever prevails, Heller will be an originalist decision. This shows that originalism remains the proper method of identifying the meaning of the Constitution.

- The Second Amendment protects an individual right. In the 1960s, gun control advocates dismissed the Second Amendment as protecting the so-called "collective right" of states to preserve their militias -- notwithstanding that, everywhere else in the Constitution, a "right" of "the people" refers to an individual right of persons, and the 10th Amendment expressly distinguishes between "the people" and "the states." Now even the District asserts the new theory that, while this right is individual, it is "conditioned" on a citizen being an active participant in an organized militia. Therefore, whoever wins, Heller won't be based on a "collective" right of the states.

Still, a ruling upholding an unconditioned individual right to arms and invalidating the ban is unlikely to have much effect on current gun laws. Here's why:

- Heller is a federal case. Because the District of Columbia is a federal entity, Heller provides a clean application of the Second Amendment which, like the rest of the Bill of Rights, originally applied only to the federal government. Before a state or municipal gun law can be challenged, the Supreme Court will have to decide that the right to keep and bear arms is also protected by the 14th Amendment, which limits state powers.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Is the "modern language" translation of the entire Constitution available somewhere. This I've got to see. Is there a King James version, too? New Life?

Speaking of "hitting it out of the park", here's what Justice Scalia said about the reference to a militia in the 2nd amendment today.

JUSTICE SCALIA: I don't see how there's any, any, any contradiction between reading the second clause as a -- as a personal guarantee and reading the first one as assuring the existence of a militia, not necessarily a State-managed militia because the militia that resisted the British was not State-managed. But why isn't it perfectly plausible, indeed reasonable, to assume that since the framers knew that the way militias were destroyed by tyrants in the past was not by passing a law against militias, but by taking away the people's weapons -- that was the way militias were destroyed. The two clauses go together beautifully: Since we need a militia, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

----------------------------------

I always like it when a Supreme Court Justice agrees with me. :) Shows some President made a good choice at some point.

Speaking of "hitting it out of the park", here's what Justice Scalia said about the reference to a militia in the 2nd amendment today.

JUSTICE SCALIA: I don't see how there's any, any, any contradiction between reading the second clause as a -- as a personal guarantee and reading the first one as assuring the existence of a militia, not necessarily a State-managed militia because the militia that resisted the British was not State-managed. But why isn't it perfectly plausible, indeed reasonable, to assume that since the framers knew that the way militias were destroyed by tyrants in the past was not by passing a law against militias, but by taking away the people's weapons -- that was the way militias were destroyed. The two clauses go together beautifully: Since we need a militia, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I always like it when a Supreme Court Justice agrees with me. :) Shows some President made a good choice at some point.

But isn't Scalia's reading at odds with the Articles of Confederation, which essentially says that the states need to keep a well-regulated militia with sufficient arms, ammunition and camp equipage for the defense of the state?

No vessel of war shall be kept up in time of peace by any State, except such number only, as shall be deemed necessary by the United States in Congress assembled, for the defense of such State, or its trade; nor shall any body of forces be kept up by any State in time of peace, except such number only, as in the judgement of the United States in Congress assembled, shall be deemed requisite to garrison the forts necessary for the defense of such State; but every State shall always keep up a well-regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutered, and shall provide and constantly have ready for use, in public stores, a due number of filed pieces and tents, and a proper quantity of arms, ammunition and camp equipage.

This is exactly where I expected Scalia to be. He is going to protect it as an individual right. However, I think that the other conservatives on the court, who are as pro-police power as they are anything, are likely to hedge, call it an individual right and then list exceptions to it so that states and cities can still, albeit with higher standards, restrict the right. Felons will and should fall into that restriction, but after that, using the standard of strict scrutiny, it is going to be very difficult to pass laws banning gun ownership. I have never cheered so hard for Scalia's view to be the prevailing view in my life.

But isn't Scalia's reading at odds with the Articles of Confederation, which essentially says that the states need to keep a well-regulated militia with sufficient arms, ammunition and camp equipage for the defense of the state?
Articles of Confederation? I don't know if you are aware of this but the AoC have NO BINDING PRECIDENT. They were thrown out when the constitution was ratified.

Articles of Confederation? I don't know if you are aware of this but the AoC have NO BINDING PRECIDENT. They were thrown out when the constitution was ratified.

I realize that Soc. However, Scalia is a professed originalist, meaning he takes the view that the Constitution as a text should be considered in the historical context in which it was written and the words should be construed based upon the meaning such terms has at the time the Constitution was written. Given his perspective on the construction of the Constitution, surely the Articles of Confederation, while not binding precedent, have persuasive value as to what the Framers intended and can illuminate the historical context that should be so important to an originalist.

The Constitution was written for the express purpose of fixing the weaknesses of the AoC. This was one of those weaknesses, now fixed.

This is exactly where I expected Scalia to be. He is going to protect it as an individual right. However, I think that the other conservatives on the court, who are as pro-police power as they are anything, are likely to hedge, call it an individual right and then list exceptions to it so that states and cities can still, albeit with higher standards, restrict the right. Felons will and should fall into that restriction, but after that, using the standard of strict scrutiny, it is going to be very difficult to pass laws banning gun ownership. I have never cheered so hard for Scalia's view to be the prevailing view in my life.

Scalia also asked the gun-grabbing lawyer, isn't it true that "well regulated" as it appears in the 2nd amendment, means "trained", not "massively restricted"?

The lawyer stuttered a little and said nothing. Scalia asked him again, and the lawyer stood there with his mouth open for a moment, then changed the subject.

All in all a good day. :)

Conservatives:

Gun's should be unrestrained in killing power, but there is no right to privacy. That's definitely a nation I want to live in.

Why do conservatives only want to use the government for negative things? Leftists are often naive with what they can do with it, but at least they don't deliberately go out and destroy everything. Conservatives are all about negativity.

Actually there was a move to make the second amendment about individual ownership and that failed as did one that looked more like Pennsylvania's gun amendment that said to keep and bear arms for the public defense or something like that. I read the entire oral arguments once today and they discussed that aspect. Both attempts failed.

The court today was split among 4 justices that seemed to find that gun rights were individual rights (Scalia, Alito, Roberts and Kennedy). There were three that appeared to be firmly in the guns as solely a militia right(Ginsburg, Breyer and Souter). Stevens seemed to be throwing questions from both sides and it is hard to tell where he is at but if I had to bet I would say that Stevens is on the militia side. Thomas did not utter a word today but my bet would be that he is on whatever side Scalia is on.

Back