Tasmanian Tiger DNA revived

It would be wonderful to see this happen. I heard a scientist on radio saying it would take a long time to achieve it though. But, still on the Tasmanian aspect, sadly the Tasmanian Devil has just been placed on the endangered list. They are suffering from a facial tumour (malignant) that's devastating the wild population. This is really bloody sad.

Bugger it, Thylacene comes back, Devil goes. What rotten irony.

It would be wonderful to see this happen. I heard a scientist on radio saying it would take a long time to achieve it though. But, still on the Tasmanian aspect, sadly the Tasmanian Devil has just been placed on the endangered list. They are suffering from a facial tumour (malignant) that's devastating the wild population. This is really bloody sad.

Bugger it, Thylacene comes back, Devil goes. What rotten irony.

It would never survive back in the wild. It just wouldn't be the same animal. It wouldn't have any culture.

I mean, imagine if all humans on Earth were wiped out by the Dolphins, and the Dolphins decided to bring us back 100 years later or so from genes. Would what emerged bear any resemblence to the old humans? There's a lot more to a species than simply the genes, and that's been destroyed.

It would never survive back in the wild. It just wouldn't be the same animal. It wouldn't have any culture.

I mean, imagine if all humans on Earth were wiped out by the Dolphins, and the Dolphins decided to bring us back 100 years later or so from genes. Would what emerged bear any resemblence to the old humans? There's a lot more to a species than simply the genes, and that's been destroyed.

Damn good point. We'd be breeding captive oddities. I hadn't thought of that. And then I know what would happen, they'd be trendy for fifteen minutes and then we'd find them dumped by the side of the road in the bush (I'm serious).

We re-discovered the Wollemi Pine - http://tinyurl.com/4dfjfm - and that's starting to go all stupid with people wanting cuttings.

In the words of Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park) .. "They only thought about if they could, never thouhgt about if they should."

As comic book as the movie was, I think that should be a real consideration.

Man as God.

Back