Taxi to the Dark Side wins Oscar

uscitizen

Villified User
Taxi to the Dark Side
Director: Alex Gibney
Cast: Moazzam Begg, Jack Cloonan, Pfc. Damien Corsetti, Sgt. Thomas Curtis, Carlotta Gall, Tim Golden, Brigadier General Jay Hood, Rear Admiral John Hutson, Spc. Tony Lagouranis, Professor Alfred McCoy, Clive Stafford Smith, Col. Lawrence Wilkerson
(ThinkFilm, 2007) Rated: R
US theatrical release date: 18 January 2008 (Limited release)

They’re a very frail people and I was surprised it had taken that long for one of ‘em to die in our custody.
—Pfc. Damien Corsetti, Military Intelligence, Bagram

If the FBI had felt that there was a case to answer for, they wouldn’t have taken me into Bagram where I was held, heard the sounds of a woman screaming next door, had me hogtied and threatened to send me to Egypt in order to get me to sign this.
—Moazzam Begg, Now 2006 July 28

In December 2002, a 22-year-old Afghan taxi driver named Dilawar was picked up and delivered to the Bagram Air Force Base prison. Five days later, he was dead. Sgt. Thomas Curtis, one of the Military Police at Bagram, remembers, “There was definitely a sense of concern because he was the second one. You wonder, was it something we did?”
cover art

As detailed in Alex Gibney’s devastating documentary, Taxi to the Dark Side, Dilawar’s demise was officially termed a homicide, like the first detainee to die at Bagram, Habibullah. Captured by a warlord and handed over to the U.S. just days before Dilawar, Habibullah as deemed “an important prisoner,” hooded, shackled, and isolated, periodically beaten for “noncompliance.” Autopsies showed that Dilawar and Habibullah suffered similar abuses, including deep bruises all over their bodies; according to the Army coroner, Dilawar suffered “massive tissue damage to his legs… his legs had been pulpified.” And yet, despite initial concerns among the guards and interrogators at Bagram over an investigation, instead, the officer in charge of interrogation at the prison, Captain Carolyn Wood, was awarded a Bronze Star for Valor and, following the Iraq invasion in 2003, she and her unit were sent to Abu Ghraib.

Methodically, relentlessly, Gibney’s Oscar-nominated film assembles stories, evidence, and testimony from witnesses and experts (its deliberate structure recalls that of Charles Ferguson’s No End in Sight, both films suggesting that, if the Bush Administration had not already put in place legal protections, more than one member might be subject to criminal charges). The many decisions and oversights that produced the “enhanced interrogation techniques” that would be used at Abu Ghraib, Guantánamo, and other sites have several points of departure, each chilling in its own way. Not least among these is the pronouncement by Dick Cheney that motivates Taxi‘s title, made during an appearance on Meet the Press during the week after 9/11. Describing imminent changes in interrogation policies, the vice president asserted,

We have to work sort of the dark side, if you will, spend time in the shadows in the intelligence world. A lot of what needs to be done here will have to be done quietly, without any discussion, using sources and methods available to our intelligence agencies, if we’re going to be successful. That’s the world these folks operate in. It’ll be vital for us to use any means at our disposal, basically, to achieve our objective.

This working of the “dark side” would be both notorious and secret, planned and haphazard, illegal and, in some instances, calculated to toe a seeming legal line. Above all, the film argues, the work was instigated and often overseen by military officers and administration officials, who created a “fog of ambiguity, coupled with great pressure to bring results,” such that young, untrained soldiers were following orders that were not spelled out. Chief among these sources of confusion is the January 2002 torture memo” written by John Yoo, then deputy assistant attorney general in the Office of Legal Counsel, advising the suspension of the Geneva Conventions in cases deemed appropriate by the president. Taxi describes the memo as giving “legal cover for the CIA and Special Forces to embark on a secret program of previously forbidden interrogation techniques,” including the use of dogs, nudity, stress positions, sleep deprivation and waterboarding. This even as military lawyers disputed such methods, especially as the use of such “extreme acts” left soldiers vulnerable to criminal charges—though, as it has turned out, those who directed them have not been subject to prosecutions.

more at link. Seems like a must read article and must see film to me.
Note the limited release line above...
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/film/reviews/55268/taxi-to-the-dark-side/

It's a documentary about an innocent Afghani who was detained by the US and ended up dead. You would have had an opportunity to see it on the Discovery Channel but apparently reality is too controversial for them.

sounds good. The censoring part sux though. I wonder when it will be on netflix. Or, if I'll have to get my cousin in Ottawa to send me a copy.

I think it might be hard to find. The Discovery Channel owns 3 year rights to the film, and they decided it was too contraversial to air....

Just another method of capitalistic based censorship ?

Americans are an invented people whose concepts of the world and the reality of capitalism amounts to living in the Matrix.

Try, "No End in Sight."

I have read some really horrible autopsies as a criminal defense lawyer, but to read that a mans legs had been "pulpified" at the hands of his captors is very disturbing. But hey, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And ...moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. Right? I imagine that the souls of those that died on 9-11 must rest easier knowing that their avengers pulpified the legs of taxi driver.

I have read some really horrible autopsies as a criminal defense lawyer, but to read that a mans legs had been "pulpified" at the hands of his captors is very disturbing. But hey, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And ...moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. Right? I imagine that the souls of those that died on 9-11 must rest easier knowing that their avengers pulpified the legs of taxi driver.

Yeah. I know mine would.

It's really sick. I think this is going to be showing at the Arts Cinema near me. I know that they have been trying to get it. I don't think I'll go see it though. It's enough for me already. I do wish we could strap war supporters into the seats and force them to watch it...but I guess that would be unAmerican or something. You know, kinda like physical torture used to be.

Back