Taylor Swift urged to postpone Los Angeles Eras Tour shows by California politicians

cawacko

This story has multiple levels of intrigue. Eleni Kounalakis is California's Lt. Gov and has declared she will run for Governor in 2026 when Gavin Newsom is termed out. She also happens to be my neighbor and I don't know her but I've met her a couple of times. (Several years ago she picked up my daughter from her stroller when we passed her building on a walk. We've all heard the phrase for politicians of shaking hands and kissing babies - it was fascinating to watch Eleni do it; it was like she had a PhD. Many people have picked up my kid, I don't know if anyone did it like this woman. I don't have the words to describe how good she was it but I guess that helps you become a front runner to be the next Governor of the largest state in the country.)

She is being called a hypocrite for going to Swift's concert in Santa Clara and now calling for Swift to cancel in L.A. There was an article in our paper about how cities and even countries are counting on Swift's concerts to bring an economic boost to their area. And clearly she's playing for the Union vote here but it was also written that Swifties vote and being the reason she cancelled a concert could turn large numbers of people against Eleni (and the others calling for the boycott).

Hard to imagine she'll cancel but we'll find out.

Taylor Swift urged to postpone Los Angeles Eras Tour shows by California politicians

California Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis joined dozens of elected officials from across the state in calling for Taylor Swift to postpone the Los Angeles segment of her Eras Tour in solidarity with striking hotel workers.

In an open letter to Swift stamped with the Unite Here Local 11 logo, the politicians write that Los Angeles hotels “are doubling and tripling what they charge” because of the concerts.

Still, they write, many workers are not paid a living wage. “Hotel workers are fighting for their lives. They are fighting for a living wage. They have gone on strike. Now, they are asking for your support,” they tell Swift.

The pop star is scheduled to play six shows at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood over the next week.

Other signatories of the letter include Isaac G. Bryan, the Assembly Majority Leader; Janice Hahn, chair of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors; and dozens of mayors and assembly members, mostly from Southern California.

Kounalakis, who earlier this year announced her candidacy for governor in 2026, saw Swift perform in Santa Clara last weekend.

“All workers deserve dignity and fair wages,” Kounalakis said in a statement to The Chronicle. “I stand with Unite Here in their fight for a living wage, and I hope we can use this moment to bring attention to the hardworking men and women who are the engine of our economy.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/califor...unalakis-joins-call-taylor-swift-18275682.php

Swift is an entertainer, she is not a politician.

This is like saying actors shouldn't make movies because some worker isn't paid correctly.

The real reason this is happening is that Swift is a Christian and they don't like her popularity.

Well Good Luck to Eleni Kounalakis! If anyone deserves the governorship- It's her!

And Taylor Swift and Eleni Kounalakis are on the right side of things and there won't be much of a sqaubble here!

Many major 3 and 4 star Hotels have been contracting Jamaicans and Dominicans to come here and work for them, and they even provide housing for them to stay here and work for 6 month intervals, and it is hard for Americans to fill these positions anymore.

This is more and more becoming the standard in the Hotel Industry!

Yes, even Donald Trump, the Mr. Bring American Jobs Home guy himself, the save jobs for American workers guy, does this in every hotel he owns! Why? Because he never practices what he preaches! Donnie is a fake!

But, there are better careers, so I'm not sure why these Hotel Workers are on strike. The Hotels are never going to pay better because they love the Dominican and Jamaican labor arrangements.

Just go and get a better job people! There are a lot of new opportunities with better starting wages than any Hotel today can offer- ESPECIALLY IN CALIFORNIA!

Last edited:
Swift is an entertainer, she is not a politician.

This is like saying actors shouldn't make movies because some worker isn't paid correctly.

The real reason this is happening is that Swift is a Christian and they don't like her popularity.

Because Christians are a marginalized group in America.

Lol.

So what did she do and if she failed to do as she was told what is the punishment.....because these are the WOKE......they adore the punishments.

This story has multiple levels of intrigue. Eleni Kounalakis is California's Lt. Gov and has declared she will run for Governor in 2026 when Gavin Newsom is termed out. She also happens to be my neighbor and I don't know her but I've met her a couple of times. (Several years ago she picked up my daughter from her stroller when we passed her building on a walk. We've all heard the phrase for politicians of shaking hands and kissing babies - it was fascinating to watch Eleni do it; it was like she had a PhD. Many people have picked up my kid, I don't know if anyone did it like this woman. I don't have the words to describe how good she was it but I guess that helps you become a front runner to be the next Governor of the largest state in the country.)

She is being called a hypocrite for going to Swift's concert in Santa Clara and now calling for Swift to cancel in L.A. There was an article in our paper about how cities and even countries are counting on Swift's concerts to bring an economic boost to their area. And clearly she's playing for the Union vote here but it was also written that Swifties vote and being the reason she cancelled a concert could turn large numbers of people against Eleni (and the others calling for the boycott).

Hard to imagine she'll cancel but we'll find out.

California Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis joined dozens of elected officials from across the state in calling for Taylor Swift to postpone the Los Angeles segment of her Eras Tour in solidarity with striking hotel workers.

In an open letter to Swift stamped with the Unite Here Local 11 logo, the politicians write that Los Angeles hotels “are doubling and tripling what they charge” because of the concerts.

Still, they write, many workers are not paid a living wage. “Hotel workers are fighting for their lives. They are fighting for a living wage. They have gone on strike. Now, they are asking for your support,” they tell Swift.

The pop star is scheduled to play six shows at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood over the next week.

Other signatories of the letter include Isaac G. Bryan, the Assembly Majority Leader; Janice Hahn, chair of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors; and dozens of mayors and assembly members, mostly from Southern California.

Kounalakis, who earlier this year announced her candidacy for governor in 2026, saw Swift perform in Santa Clara last weekend.

“All workers deserve dignity and fair wages,” Kounalakis said in a statement to The Chronicle. “I stand with Unite Here in their fight for a living wage, and I hope we can use this moment to bring attention to the hardworking men and women who are the engine of our economy.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/califor...unalakis-joins-call-taylor-swift-18275682.php

I am confused by this......is the left angry with Kounalakis because of Swift or angry with Swift because of Kounalakis......why would the left be against either in the first place.....it isn't because Swift's songs are political.....at least I don't think she's recorded a cover of "Try This In A Small Town"....Kounalakis isn't challenging Newsome, she's his L.Governor running to replace him when he moves on to the Oval Office.....what is the left's motivation here?......

I am confused by this......is the left angry with Kounalakis because of Swift or angry with Swift because of Kounalakis......why would the left be against either in the first place.....it isn't because Swift's songs are political.....at least I don't think she's recorded a cover of "Try This In A Small Town"....Kounalakis isn't challenging Newsome, she's his L.Governor running to replace him when he moves on to the Oval Office.....what is the left's motivation here?......

It's politicians trying to look like they are standing up for Labor.

Well Good Luck to Eleni Kounalakis! If anyone deserves the governorship- It's her!

And Taylor Swift and Eleni Kounalakis are on the right side of things and there won't be much of a sqaubble here!

Many major 3 and 4 star Hotels have been contracting Jamaicans and Dominicans to come here and work for them, and they even provide housing for them to stay here and work for 6 month intervals, and it is hard for Americans to fill these positions anymore.

This is more and more becoming the standard in the Hotel Industry!

Yes, even Donald Trump, the Mr. Bring American Jobs Home guy himself, the save jobs for American workers guy, does this in every hotel he owns! Why? Because he never practices what he preaches! Donnie is a fake!

But, there are better careers, so I'm not sure why these Hotel Workers are on strike. The Hotels are never going to pay better because they love the Dominican and Jamaican labor arrangements.

Just go and get a better job people! There are a lot of new opportunities with better starting wages than any Hotel today can offer- ESPECIALLY IN CALIFORNIA!

We live in an us and them world, not a right and wrong one.
If that's not good, it's no less absolutely true. You have eyes.

If you identify as a working class person, it is irrelevant as to whether the unions are right and wrong.
It's your duty to support them, and whatever misfortune arrives from not doing so is almost certainly well-deserved.

Workers have no leverage as individuals
and whatever they must do to fortify their collective efforts
is generally justified.

We live in an us and them world, not a right and wrong one.
If that's not good, it's no less absolutely true. You have eyes.

If you identify as a working class person, it is irrelevant as to whether the unions are right and wrong.
It's your duty to support them, and whatever misfortune arrives from not doing so is almost certainly well-deserved.

Workers have no leverage as individuals
and whatever they must do to fortify their collective efforts
is generally justified.

Amen Brother!

Back