Tennessee to see new VW Plant

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7508625.stm

German carmaker Volkswagen (VW) has chosen to locate its new US car plant in Tennessee, a move that could pump $1bn (£498m) into the local economy.

VW opted for a site in the city of Chattanooga in preference to possible locations in Alabama and Michigan.

The euro's rise against the dollar has made it costly to make cars in Europe and export them to the US, leading VW to explore manufacturing again there.

The move is good news for a US car industry shedding thousands of jobs.

New car

Earlier on Tuesday, GM said it planned to make further cutbacks forced upon it by declining sales in its home market.

More at link.

Would be better if it was a GM plant. But any job is better than none even if we are busy selling off the USA.

Would be better if it was a GM plant. But any job is better than none even if we are busy selling off the USA.

The problem with producing more GM cars is that you have to then SELL the GM cars. Tougher and tougher to do these days.

Whereas VW is doing very well at it.

I guess we shouldn't have given VW away at the end of WWII. Nobody wanted it, and so it was set up to run as a way to keep the germans busy.

Now they are busy spending our money. lol

I wonder if VW's board would have made the same decision if a certain A. Gore was still in the Senate.

You remember Mr. Gore? According to the left's fistbumpers, he's really been the POTUS these past 8 years.

He's the one who wrote :""It makes little sense for each of us to bum up all the energy necessary to travel with several thousand pounds of metal wherever we go" and said cars are "a mortal threat to the security of every nation that is more deadly than that of any military enemy we are ever again likely to confront".

Al Gore, Earth in the Balance

http://goracle.org/

The problem with producing more GM cars is that you have to then SELL the GM cars. Tougher and tougher to do these days.

Whereas VW is doing very well at it.

I guess we shouldn't have given VW away at the end of WWII. Nobody wanted it, and so it was set up to run as a way to keep the germans busy.

Now they are busy spending our money. lol

Ohh I agree this is the 2nd major time US automakers have been caught with their shorts around their ankles. They deserve to die, but it is sad for America.

Personally I think Toyotas are most likely the best car out their for cost and reliabiliy/long life.

I have been in love with VWs since the late 60s. But unfortunately my fondness is for the old air cooled models.

I'd take a plant from a quality maker like VW in my state before a likely to be shut down GM plant.
GM and Ford will get it right eventually. Like the bankers and brokers they got fat, dumb , and happy and now it's biting them in the ass.

I'd take a plant from a quality maker like VW in my state before a likely to be shut down GM plant.
GM and Ford will get it right eventually. Like the bankers and brokers they got fat, dumb , and happy and now it's biting them in the ass.

Yeah, but they are apparently stupid too. Basically the exact same thing happened to them in the 70s. They got fat and stopped trying to beat the imports, and then tried to join the imports.

Not may companies that old have'nt made mistakes.
My view is they have been better than detroit the last 10ys. But I wouldn't by any automaker stocks anyway.

1. you missed a lifetime of education
2. specifically here you missed Germany being better at Auto's than detroit last 10 yrs. ya touthless GED'r:clink:

Aw go buy the peoples car if you want to.
I will just buy rice burners made in KY.

One thing I have learned. A mercedes is about as reliable as a toyota, just costs more to buy and parts are about 6X as much.
Status is not cheap.

WV's are ok, but not my fav car.
As with Sol, I liked the origional Bugs though. Dependable, cheap and long running as long as you did not adjust the valves with the engine warm and did keep it full of clean oil.
And the suckers would float too!

Back