Texas city solves homeless problem

A lot of bad luck led 62-year-old Army veteran Julie Blow to homelessness – a serious kidney issues, a fall that cost her the sight in one eye, two surgeries. Blow couldn't work, and ran out of money.

And now? She has an apartment; brand-new furniture donated by a local retailer; and a TV. The 320-sq.-ft. studio is nothing fancy, but for Blow, it's a luxury after the tent where she had been living. "I feel like a teenager, I am that happy!" she said. "You know, before all the stuff happens to you in life and you get jaded? I feel like a teenager!"

The city of Houston is having big success with this program

Time to solve this issue

Some WISE Texans have proven what works in practice

Let’s turn all abandoned indoor malls into housing communities for people

Sell the units to low income people in high priced areas

Subsidize some sections for in need elderly

Some sections for drug treatment hiding programs where their treatment is right in the building

Subsidize food stores inside the building

Clinics

Day care

So many possibilities

Some sections for drug treatment hiding programs where their treatment is right in the building

Clinics

Day care

So many possibilities

From your mouth to Gods ears

Let's be precise here.... Houston did not "solve" the homeless problem.

They reduced homelessness in their city by just over half.

The article also mentioned that they had a larger than average supply of affordable apartments available.

In other cities, it might not work.

Also, like other cities, they are using surplus COVID relief funds.

What are their plans for after that money runs out?

In Central Florida around Kissimmee, there are a surplus of old abandoned Disney area motels and small hotels and a few further north in Orlando as well.

They've been retrofitting some of these hotels and motels into small apartments for homeless people to move into.

It's cramped living for families, but it beats living in a car or minivan.

Sadly, no matter what you do, there are just always going to be homeless people.

Clinics

Day care

So many possibilities

Some of the old malls are being transformed into low income housing.

But some are being redeveloped for other mixed use commercial purposes, including pricey condos and high end retail/dining/entertainment.

If the land these malls sit on is still valuable and located in desirable areas, you're not likely to see them repurposed for housing the homeless.

It is what it is.

Clinics

Day care

So many possibilities

And have them trash it drugs guns etc

Drug test them at random every 60 days

Let's be precise here.... Houston did not "solve" the homeless problem.

They reduced homelessness in their city by just over half.

The article also mentioned that they had a larger than average supply of affordable apartments available.

In other cities, it might not work.

Also, like other cities, they are using surplus COVID relief funds.

What are their plans for after that money runs out?

In Central Florida around Kissimmee, there are a surplus of old abandoned Disney area motels and small hotels and a few further north in Orlando as well.

They've been retrofitting some of these hotels and motels into small apartments for homeless people to move into.

It's cramped living for families, but it beats living in a car or minivan.

Sadly, no matter what you do, there are just always going to be homeless people.

We do enough of it to solve all the cases of homelessness

It’s just not expensive to do

We do it in quantities that solve each individual case

This proves what works dude

You do what has been proven to work

Dealing with the health conditions homelessness causes to the effected area costs how much?

That money will now be spent to house these people and provide the services to improve their lives

This issue is solvable

Crying about the cost is diversion

Doing the right thing is priceless

Not acting because some evil shits say human beings can’t be helped because I don’t want my taxes to go up

It’s a pittance and provides eventual returns when these people return to being tax payers themselves

Think of all the money they could save and use for deserving Americans if they stopped letting illegals pour in... But Joe doesn't want to do that... (I'd happily pay more taxes if they were used properly...we all would...)

Dealing with the health conditions homelessness causes to the effected area costs how much?

That money will now be spent to house these people and provide the services to improve their lives

This issue is solvable

Not acting because some evil shits say human beings can’t be helped because I don’t want my taxes to go up

It’s a pittance and provides eventual returns when these people return to being tax payers themselves

What works in one city might not work in another city.

Maybe you just don't understand the dynamics of varying real estate markets.

If that's the case, you should try to educate yourself on the subject.

The owners of abandoned malls cannot be forced to use their property for something they don't want to or which will cause them to lose money. They have the legal right to use their property for the most profitable purpose offered them.

You might not like it, but that's the way our system works and it's the world we live in.

Dude.

This issue is solvable

Id love to see the numbers on homelessness programs "returning" people to being tax payers. You got any citations?

Back