The Activist Left Doesn’t Want a Hero. But Does It Need One?

Hume

Verified User
Today’s left does not have leaders to dominate the discourse — or even its own movements.

In 1968, the protest movements that challenged Humphrey had names, faces, figureheads. Today there are no Tom Haydens, Abbie Hoffmans or Jerry Rubins headed to Chicago.

"The new left is largely leaderless. This is not to say that it is bereft of organizational talent or influential ideas — just that it has no one of any great fame or notoriety speaking directly for it, or to it. And for that alone, this is a singular moment in American history.

Today’s left does not have leaders to dominate the discourse — or even its own movements.

In 1968, the protest movements that challenged Humphrey had names, faces, figureheads. Today there are no Tom Haydens, Abbie Hoffmans or Jerry Rubins headed to Chicago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/13/magazine/new-left-leadership.html
Have you ever stopped to consider why there are no genuine leaders on the left? Here is a chance to engage in a discussion where ideas can be exchanged.

Not really a problem for me.
So you started this thread to tell us you have no real problem with leaderless leftists. Is that why it doesn't matter to the democrats that their future "leader" Kamala was not able to gain even one delegate when she ran for president but now is the presumptive nominee of the party? It sure seems as though someone somewhere is leading the leftists.

Last edited:
So you started this thread to tell us you have no real problem with leaderless leftists.
I don't agree with the article. The left does not have advocates like Bernie Sanders.
But I think Biden was a good example of the left. Biden is more liberal than Harris.

I don't agree with the article. The left does not have advocates like Bernie Sanders.
But I think Biden was a good example of the left. Biden is more liberal than Harris.
What was good about Biden as a leftist? You think Biden is more liberal than Harris? Based on what?

So bidens a good example of the left but he is not a leftist? And you think he's more liberal than Harris?
Biden has been a fairly moderate Democrat but took on more left leaning policies as President. Probably why the DNC forced him out.

Biden has been a fairly moderate Democrat but took on more left leaning policies as President. Probably why the DNC forced him out.
What was his most "left leaning" policy? So in an election year it's a better idea to be more moderate than to lean left? That's been a consistent strategy of the left.

What was his most "left leaning" policy? So in an election year it's a better idea to be more moderate than to lean left? That's been a consistent strategy of the left.
Would not say it is just one. Trying to forgive student loans. Get infrastructure bill passed. Supporting unions.

Would not say it is just one. Trying to forgive student loans. Get infrastructure bill passed. Supporting unions.
I just asked which one you though was "...most "left leaning". Forgiving student loans is far more left leaning than either of the other two.

So that makes him an ally to the left.
You won't hear Harris talk about raising corporate taxes.
I never made a claim he was an ally to anyone. He certainly has never been an ally of mine.
First we haven't heard anything other than what she stole from trump about not taxing tips. The party bosses will get her to say it though. "Tax the rich and corporations" is the life blood of the democrat party. They make dresses out of it.

I did hear an intriguing thing in one of Harris ads that she wants to make it possible for a families to live in one income. That got my interest but it was woefully short on how she would do it. I realize it's just a 30 second ad but I doubt it will ever be followed up on. If she could do that then it means this country is exceptional economic shape.

I never made a claim he was an ally to anyone. He certainly has never been an ally of mine.
First we haven't heard anything other than what she stole from trump about not taxing tips. The party bosses will get her to say it though. "Tax the rich and corporations" is the life blood of the democrat party. They make dresses out of it.

I did hear an intriguing thing in one of Harris ads that she wants to make it possible for a families to live in one income. That got my interest but it was woefully short on how she would do it. I realize it's just a 30 second ad but I doubt it will ever be followed up on. If she could do that then it means this country is exceptional economic shape.
I don't support Harris.

Back