The Day My Old Church Canceled Me Was a Very Sad Day

Hume

Verified User
This is a conservative columnist at the New York Times, David French

"This week, the leaders of the Presbyterian Church in America will gather in Richmond, Va., for their annual General Assembly. The Presbyterian Church in America is a small, theologically conservative Christian denomination that was my family’s church home for more than 15 years.

It just canceled me.

A member of the denomination wrote “The Case for Christian Nationalism,” one of the most popular Christian nationalist books of the Trump era. It argues that “no nation (properly conceived) is composed of two or more ethnicities” and that “to exclude an out-group is to recognize a universal good for man.”

French used to be a writer at National Review. But not supporting Trump was too much for this church.

This is a conservative columnist at the New York Times, David French

"This week, the leaders of the Presbyterian Church in America will gather in Richmond, Va., for their annual General Assembly. The Presbyterian Church in America is a small, theologically conservative Christian denomination that was my family’s church home for more than 15 years.

It just canceled me.

A member of the denomination wrote “The Case for Christian Nationalism,” one of the most popular Christian nationalist books of the Trump era. It argues that “no nation (properly conceived) is composed of two or more ethnicities” and that “to exclude an out-group is to recognize a universal good for man.”

David French is a conservative????

spit-take.gif

"The racism was grotesque. One church member asked my wife why we couldn’t adopt from Norway rather than Ethiopia. A teacher at the school asked my son if we had purchased his sister for a “loaf of bread.” We later learned that there were coaches and teachers who used racial slurs to describe the few Black students at the school.

There were terrible incidents of peer racism, including a student telling my daughter that slavery was good for Black people because it taught them how to live in America. Another told her that she couldn’t come to our house to play because “my dad said Black people are dangerous.”

I read the NYTimes daily but usually pass over his columns because he is a conservative.
This one caught my eye because he was "cancelled" for not being conservative enough for his own church.

"The racism was grotesque. One church member asked my wife why we couldn’t adopt from Norway rather than Ethiopia. A teacher at the school asked my son if we had purchased his sister for a “loaf of bread.” We later learned that there were coaches and teachers who used racial slurs to describe the few Black students at the school.

There were terrible incidents of peer racism, including a student telling my daughter that slavery was good for Black people because it taught them how to live in America. Another told her that she couldn’t come to our house to play because “my dad said Black people are dangerous.”
The church he attends must be full of assholes. Calvinist theology is nonsense, but the position of Presbyterian church supports biological evolution, they do not oppose gay marriage, they allow women ministers and allow gays and lesbians to participate in their church

Surely there are better examples of conservative Churches. The Pentecostals always seemed reactionary.

The church he attends must be full of assholes. Calvinist theology is nonsense, but the position of Presbyterian church supports biological evolution, they do not oppose gay marriage, they allow women ministers and allow gays and lesbians to participate in their church

Surely there are better examples of conservative Churches. The Pentecostals always seemed reactionary.
The fact any church supports Trump should make us question the Christian church in America.

The fact any church supports Trump should make us question the Christian church in America.
Question for you, BidenPedodent. Since you insist on constantly linking to that pay walled communist toilet paper, I had to use the dang interwebs to find more of that article for some context. Turns out, he was scheduled to appear on a panel discussing “how to be supportive of your pastor and church leaders in a polarized political year.” Evidently, some of the congregation didn't want to hear this stuff, so they "canceled" the entire panel. So, did you ever consider they may have just been fed up with politics?

I'll concede one thing with a caveat: The fact that ANY church supports Trump OR the tater head should make us question if that church is a bible based, Christ centered institution or not. This is a major point of contention I have with so-called "organized religion", there's far too much secular crap in the mix.

The Bible says in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." It does not say "I can do all things through Christ and Donald Trump."

Back