The Democratic Party’s Crucifixion of Matt Taibbi | chrishedges.substack.com

Scott

Verified User
Just finished reading this article published today by well known reporter Chris Hedges, thought others here might like to see it as well, and perhaps offer a constructive comment or 2. Here's the introduction and the conclusion:

Extensive government blacklists, revealed by the Twitter Files, are used to censor left-wing and right-wing critics. This censorship apparatus has been turned on the reporter who exposed them.

CHRIS HEDGES

MAY 28, 2023

On Dec. 24, 2022 Matt Taibbi was in a room at the Parc 55 Hotel in San Francisco pouring through reports sent to Twitter from an entity called the Foreign Influence Task Force (FITF). The FITF is an FBI-led interagency task force that forwards “moderation requests” from numerous government agencies, including Homeland Security, the CIA, the Pentagon and the State Department, to social media outlets. Taibbi was given access to the internal traffic by Twitter’s new owner, Elon Musk. It revealed how the FBI and other government agencies routinely suppressed news and commentary. He published [link in original] a Twitter thread that night, Christmas Eve, with the headline “Twitter and Other Government Agencies”.

“There would be a list of YouTube videos,” Taibbi said when I reached him by phone. “There would be a notation that would say ‘We assess that these are all created by the Internet Research Agency in Russia. We assess that they are promoting anti-Ukraine attitudes.’ I would see that all those videos were no longer on YouTube. You can make your own deduction from that, but that was the pattern. They would send Excel spreadsheets full of account names and either all or most of them would be gone.”

The content that was suppressed included right-wing and left-wing reports critical of the dominant narrative advanced by the Democratic Party and the old establishment wing of the Republican Party, which has been folded into the Democratic Party. Threads from the Yellow Vests movement, activists from the Occupy movement, Global Revolution Live [link in original], negative stories about Joe Biden, reports on the Ukrainian energy company Burisma that paid Hunter Biden about $1 million a year while his father was vice-president, positive stories about Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro, reports about Ukrainian human rights abuses and details [link in original] of the contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop were part of the plethora of accounts that were flagged and disappeared.

[snip]

A discredited ruling class, which has disemboweled the nation for its corporate masters and whose primary mission is the perpetuation of permanent war, has no intention of carrying out reform. It will not permit an exchange of ideas or allow its critics a platform. It knows it is hated. It fears the rise of the neofascists its dysfunction and corruption have spawned. It seeks to perpetuate itself only through fear —— fear of what will replace it. That is all it has to offer a demoralized citizenry. Constitutional guarantees of free speech and the right to privacy are noisome impediments to its tenuous grip on power. These constitutional rights have been effectively abolished. What the Twitter Files revealed is massive government blacklists and the craven acquiescence of media platforms to marginalize and ban individuals and groups on these blacklists. Taibbi, not surprisingly, is being targeted by the totalitarian machinery he exposed.

Full article:
The Democratic Party’s Crucifixion of Matt Taibbi | chrishedges.substack.com

Taibbi used to write about banks and big corporations fleecing the people. In 2008-9 he wrote interesting and important articles on the banking system. What changed? He did. Most writers see the differences between the Dems and reds, and it is based on money, power, and control.

I have seen Taibbi on TV a couple of times lately. He is not being censored. He chose to have his column on Podcasts.

Taibbi used to write about banks and big corporations fleecing the people. In 2008-9 he wrote interesting and important articles on the banking system. What changed? He did.

I strongly disagree. The author of the article I referenced in the opening post used to write for the mainstream publication the New York Times for 15 years before deciding he could do better. What's changed is that the cores of both the democratic party and the republic party have now become subservient to corporate interests.

Most writers see the differences between the Dems and reds, and it is based on money, power, and control.

Prior to Biden becoming President, I was generally in favour of the democrats. There are certainly still some things I'm in favour of on their side- I'm pro choice to name one. But when it comes to censorship, the democrats have turned to the dark side.

I strongly disagree. The author of the article I referenced in the opening post used to write for the mainstream publication the New York Times for 15 years before deciding he could do better. What's changed is that the cores of both the democratic party and the republic party have now become subservient to corporate interests.

Prior to Biden becoming President, I was generally in favour of the democrats. There are certainly still some things I'm in favour of on their side- I'm pro choice to name one. But when it comes to censorship, the democrats have turned to the dark side.

Both parties have gone off the rails in a pissing contest both forget they are servants of We the People

Both parties have gone off the rails in a pissing contest both forget they are servants of We the People

Agreed. I think that generally speaking, the opposition party is the one that appeals more to the people. Right now, that's the Republicans. But the core of both parties are basically beholden to corporations.

Agreed. I think that generally speaking, the opposition party is the one that appeals more to the people. Right now, that's the Republicans. But the core of both parties are basically beholden to corporations.

Republicans have gone rogue ,supporting Treason Trump!

Taibbi used to write about banks and big corporations fleecing the people. In 2008-9 he wrote interesting and important articles on the banking system. What changed? He did. Most writers see the differences between the Dems and reds, and it is based on money, power, and control.

I agree, blues want all three.

Republicans have gone rogue ,supporting Treason Trump!

I have never liked Trump. That being said, I can't deny that he brought up issues that most politicians don't. The middle class was certainly better off financially in the past, in the 50s and 60s for instance,
so it's quite understandable that a slogan like "Make America Great Again!" would resonate with a lot of people. As to -actually- doing things that would improve the lives of Americans, not so much. The only good thing I can think of that he did was his briefly considering making Robert Kennedy Jr. to be in charge of vaccine safety. Apparently Big Pharma paid him off to nix that idea.

until he saw the bigger enemy - a government that is out of control and stopping free exchange of ideas

because democrats have no concern with how governments acted during covid - I don't understand how anyone can trust a democrat ever again. how much proof do we need of America acting poorly before we take power back?

until he saw the bigger enemy - a government that is out of control and stopping free exchange of ideas

because democrats have no concern with how governments acted during covid - I don't understand how anyone can trust a democrat ever again. how much proof do we need of America acting poorly before we take power back?

There is no such enemy. The truth is that corporations bought up all the media long ago. https://beta.cjr.org/resources/?c=comcast Corporations own all the newspapers, TV stations, Radio stations, magazines and movie studios. This is not on Dems, just what the power of corporations can do.

There is no such enemy. The truth is that corporations bought up all the media long ago. https://beta.cjr.org/resources/?c=comcast Corporations own all the newspapers, TV stations, Radio stations, magazines and movie studios. This is not on Dems, just what the power of corporations can do.

We know. Newspapers almost exclusively endorse one party now.

Even large corporations were suppressing right leaning information in spots like Twitter

the dumbest voting block are democrat's - because you live in a retarded echo chamber where you lie about books being banned and so forth

I have never liked Trump. That being said, I can't deny that he brought up issues that most politicians don't. The middle class was certainly better off financially in the past, in the 50s and 60s for instance,
so it's quite understandable that a slogan like "Make America Great Again!" would resonate with a lot of people. As to -actually- doing things that would improve the lives of Americans, not so much. The only good thing I can think of that he did was his briefly considering making Robert Kennedy Jr. to be in charge of vaccine safety. Apparently Big Pharma paid him off to nix that idea.

I agree with that up till Jan 6! Trump crossed an uncrossable line.

I agree with that up till Jan 6! Trump crossed an uncrossable line.

I strongly suspect he won't be the last to cross it. He knew there was a lot of anger towards the status quo and sought to benefit from it. Hardly the first politician who's done that type of thing. An obvious example would be Hitler. The problem with the political climate in the U.S., and a lot of other places, is that politicians' main goals these days is to finance the very well off at the expense of everyone else. The politicians may not know just how bad it is out there, but the people on the other side certainly do. I'm not sure if you're familiar with history, but Marie Antoinette's line "Let them eat cake!" comes to mind. Her story is sad, but it's what tends to happen when corruption runs rampant at the expense of the little guy. If you're not familiar with the story of Mary Antoinette and the french revolution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette

I strongly suspect he won't be the last to cross it. He knew there was a lot of anger towards the status quo and sought to benefit from it. Hardly the first politician who's done that type of thing. An obvious example would be Hitler. The problem with the political climate in the U.S., and a lot of other places, is that politicians' main goals these days is to finance the very well off at the expense of everyone else. The politicians may not know just how bad it is out there, but the people on the other side certainly do. I'm not sure if you're familiar with history, but Marie Antoinette's line "Let them eat cake!" comes to mind. Her story is sad, but it's what tends to happen when corruption runs rampant at the expense of the little guy. If you're not familiar with the story of Mary Antoinette and the french revolution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette

Marie Antoinette should have gone to the guillotine for pushing that high carb diet!

Back