The Elections Are Important, But How Much?

Annie

Not So Junior Member
Once again, the ties that bind. I've been blessed at this site. Many of you know that my nephew underwent a second brain surgery in July, we were very optimistic afterwards, as were the neurosurgeons. Unfortunately, the problem has reemerged. Loyola saw no recourse other than a permanent drain from the brain through the skull. That would make it nearly impossible for him to work. As it is, he cannot drive.

After consultations Loyola wrote up a request to Mayo to evaluate. Mayo had been one of 8 university hospitals in consult with both surgeries. They said yes, they would do an in-hospital referral. Two weeks ago, a week after his 1 year wedding anniversary, my brother and sil, took him up for consult. His wife couldn't get off, while her employer has been understanding, they'd taken a week off for the honeymoon they couldn't a year ago, and the July surgery meant 4 missed days. At 25, you all know that in a management position, with more on the way, you back off. Thank the lord my brother and sil could, but I'm sure it caused problems.

Mayo's evaluations indicate that both surgeries were successful in the sense that the cyst is 'something', that has been addressed successfully, meaning it's draining and no scar tissue has formed, quite lucky as Jay like most of us is a keloid healers, lots of scar tissue. Yet it's continuing to fill up, from they assume fluids thrown off by the benign, non-growing tumor. So, they are going to try and attack it with radiation. First time for them or anyplace. This is not one of the times one wishes to be unique.

He and my SIL are now driving up to Rochester. Tomorrow they go through pre-op. Tuesday they will put in the reservoir, then Wednesday pre-radiation write up/testing. 5 week radiation treatment to start 11/17 or sooner. They are concerned with the expansion of the cyst.

Please say a prayer. I've explained the specialness of Jay several times, I say thanks daily for those that contributed to his 'walk' for brain tumors, just a few days before he found out he'd have to have the second surgery.

I'm certainly scared. Without a doubt. Yet, if you knew him, his wife, his parents, well I'm also optimistic. As were those doctors at Loyola and Mayo. Strong, fit, and determined. Dying at 25 or 26?

Kathi, I do not pray but will be sending all the positive thoughts I can for your Nephew.

Thank you both. I'm trying to hold it together. Today he was going through pre-op testing, tomorrow the shunt will be inserted. Wed. will be a down day, recovery from procedure. Thurs testing for radiation.

They are project 11/17 as the beginning of radiation.

Family problem, who's doing Thanksgiving? Should we all meet in Rochester or should Jay go to inlaws in upper WI? Dilemas.

My thanksvgiving dilema. Have some disabled vets and their families here at my place. Or go to a family gathering in another state.
I am leaning towards the disabled vets as a couple of them have no one...

Kathi, I hope all goes well. I will keep Jay in my thoughts. I hope you manage to have some joy in your life during these tough times.

Once again, the ties that bind. I've been blessed at this site. Many of you know that my nephew underwent a second brain surgery in July, we were very optimistic afterwards, as were the neurosurgeons. Unfortunately, the problem has reemerged. Loyola saw no recourse other than a permanent drain from the brain through the skull. That would make it nearly impossible for him to work. As it is, he cannot drive.

After consultations Loyola wrote up a request to Mayo to evaluate. Mayo had been one of 8 university hospitals in consult with both surgeries. They said yes, they would do an in-hospital referral. Two weeks ago, a week after his 1 year wedding anniversary, my brother and sil, took him up for consult. His wife couldn't get off, while her employer has been understanding, they'd taken a week off for the honeymoon they couldn't a year ago, and the July surgery meant 4 missed days. At 25, you all know that in a management position, with more on the way, you back off. Thank the lord my brother and sil could, but I'm sure it caused problems.

Mayo's evaluations indicate that both surgeries were successful in the sense that the cyst is 'something', that has been addressed successfully, meaning it's draining and no scar tissue has formed, quite lucky as Jay like most of us is a keloid healers, lots of scar tissue. Yet it's continuing to fill up, from they assume fluids thrown off by the benign, non-growing tumor. So, they are going to try and attack it with radiation. First time for them or anyplace. This is not one of the times one wishes to be unique.

He and my SIL are now driving up to Rochester. Tomorrow they go through pre-op. Tuesday they will put in the reservoir, then Wednesday pre-radiation write up/testing. 5 week radiation treatment to start 11/17 or sooner. They are concerned with the expansion of the cyst.

Please say a prayer. I've explained the specialness of Jay several times, I say thanks daily for those that contributed to his 'walk' for brain tumors, just a few days before he found out he'd have to have the second surgery.

I'm certainly scared. Without a doubt. Yet, if you knew him, his wife, his parents, well I'm also optimistic. As were those doctors at Loyola and Mayo. Strong, fit, and determined. Dying at 25 or 26?

God bless!

Thanks again. Talked to my brother last evening, we're meeting for dinner tomorrow. My sil said Jay is keeping positive.

Back