The Golden City

• Thread starter Thread starter Phaedrus
  • Start date Start date
P

Phaedrus

Why Green Energy is Good for the US, even if Anthropogenic Global Warming is a Myth

(Original Content, January 23rd, 2009)

First, I'd like to say this isn't an argument against Anthropogenic Global Warming, it is my take on why Green Energy is good regardless of what the two opposing sides of the Anthropogenic Global Warming argument say.

I know, I'm republican and therefore I am supposed to oppose this with every inch of my being, right to the inner core. So why would I argue for this?

Because it is in our nation's self-interest to take ourselves out of the oil loop that causes so many in the Middle East to view us so negatively, whether rightly or wrongly.

We are not seen in the Middle East as an honest broker. A young Arab sees a world where all of the riches of the region are settled into less than 1% of 1% of the population and that the US supports and works to ensure it remains that way (rightly or wrongly we are seen this way). Often we hear how "Mullahs brainwash kids into blowing themselves up in Madrassas". This is a truth, but another truth is it takes very little "brainwashing" to get there because of how we are seen.

While getting off of oil wouldn't solve the problems of the Middle East, it would greatly reduce incentive for the US to have a policy of "Stability" in the region, and directly reduce the idea that the US enforces the lopsided power structure they see reducing their ability to access the luxuries and sometimes even the necessities of the culture.

Not only would it help to deincentivize terrorism against the US, which is a powerful reason alone, it would incentivize production in the US. If we are producing the next generation of "green" products, we are establishing and resetting the economy of the US to continue as a economic and political superpower for the next century. Too often nowadays we hear people speak of how our "best days are behind us" and that the US has reached its peak and is now begun her downfall.

I disagree, if we have the vision and purpose that our culture is so proud of, we are poised to take advantage of and create something that is leaner, meaner and still more powerful. America is not at the peak, we just reached another tor, settled and are looking up at the next leg in the journey. We have a long way to go before we have reached the peak, but we know that Americans, given the right incentive, will find a way to reach it.

Back