The Obama Ad

Adam Weinberg

Goldwater Republican
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtREqAmLsoA"]YouTube - American Stories, American Solutions: 30 Minute Special[/ame]

I didn't get to see it on TV, so I wanted to put it up in case anyone else missed it. Still watching it myself.

I recorded it and watched it later last night. It was well done, well presented, informative but nothing over the top. I wish I could vote this year. Next presidential election I'll be a citizen and can take part. :)

lol uscit why do you assume that everything posted on this forum is directed at you?

And how did that assume that it was only directed at me ?

I thanked him for posting it but gave my reasons for not watching.

Kinda like someone offers you a drink or a joint but for some reason you are not interested.

Arrogant ass.

I saw it, I liked it. Why did McCain not do one? I remember Bush and Dukakis both did one in 88.

It will be interesting what the polls say in a couple days.

I saw it, I liked it. Why did McCain not do one? I remember Bush and Dukakis both did one in 88.

It will be interesting what the polls say in a couple days.

McCain probably can't afford one and the RNC isn't springing for one would be my guess.

Spending anything less than what Obama did for exposure would look weak.

He should know by now that all posts are aimed at me, not him.

Jeez, some folks take so long to catch on.

It was pretty much Obama's usual talking points. Nothing new or different, just slightly repackaged and re-tuned for maximum tear-jerking effect, and drawn out to fill 30 minutes.

What that campaign ad was, was stock modern liberalism. It was a long rundown of the typical problems that EVERYONE goes through. Having to make ends meet. Not being able to buy expensive, fancy food whenever you want. Having to watch the budget. Worrying about health care. Getting laid off. Obama did carefully cut out any of the good things that happen in life. But the bad things he listed, are things we have to handle routinely. That's LIFE. It has never come with any guarantees.

And the classic modern liberalism: Throughout the litany of problems, trials, and tribulations, was the theme that GOVERNMENT now had to step in and take care of it. The infomercial was rife with it, and indeed it was the entire theme. Government will help. Government will do something. Vote for me and I, using the power of government, will give you all kinds of goodies.

No mention of the idea that maybe government could help best by getting out of the way: repealing taxes and regulations so that business could hire more, pay more people, produce more stuff for the same costs now that they didn't have to piss money away on new taxes, wheelchair ramps, armies of accountatnts to comply with paperwork demands, etc.

The infomercial was no more depressing than modern liberalism normally is. It was just the standard pitch for big government, with the usual claims that government will somehow cure the ordinary problems and trials of life.... while carefully not going into details on what regulations and penalties govt will have to impose to do that.

No mention of the idea that maybe government could help best by getting out of the way: repealing taxes and regulations so that business could hire more, pay more people

I disagree. Though they may have been token and idle efforts, I think there were effective moments for the swing voter when Obama and his surrogates spoke about how "Americans don't want a handout and aren't waiting for government" or how "He's a Democrat who wants to cut taxes".

Or that he'll go "line by line through the federal budget, cutting programs that don't work and making ones that do work more efficient."

If he actually did that, and we knew in advance he was serious, everyone would vote for him...but that's just a campaign promise that people shouldn't be required to trust, of course.

First class intellect with a first class temperment.

He is going to be one of the great presidents.

You can leave Ronny off the list.

I was right about Bush being the worst.

Like I said Obama has a first class intellect and a first class temperment.
He will surround himself with the best and brightest of all stripes and will be able to understand the issues at a depth we have not seen in a president in a long time.

He will be one of the greats.

You can leave Ronny off the list.

I was right about Bush being the worst.

Like I said Obama has a first class intellect and a first class temperment.
He will surround himself with the best and brightest of all stripes and will be able to understand the issues at a depth we have not seen in a president in a long time.

He will be one of the greats.

You can leave Reagan off your list but historians rank him among the best.

Jimmy Carter also had a first class intellect and first class temperment. How did that work out for him?

That's not to say they are bad qualities because they aren't. They are great qualities. But that alone does not guarantee a good or great President.

Back