The Rebuilding

Cancel7

Banned
Because no bailout is going to work long-term. We are fundamentally on a
ruinous track.

A Fool’s Paradise
By BOB HERBERT
With less than a month left until Election Day, there is still time for the presidential candidates to focus with great intensity on what should be the most important issue of this campaign. It’s not just the economy, stupid — it’s jobs.

The stock markets were rocked again on Monday, and the need to stabilize the financial system is obvious. But the U.S. economy is never going to be really healthy until the country figures out how to provide work at decent pay for all, or nearly all, of the men and women who want to work.

We’ve been living for years in a fool’s paradise atop a mountain of debt. The masters of the universe on Wall Street lost all sense of reason, no doubt. But most of us have been living above our means through the magic of easy credit, ever lower taxes, ever rising property values, stock market bubbles and the gift of denial, which we used to assure ourselves that the bills would never come due. We’ve even put our wars on a credit card.

The burden of debt for a typical middle-income family, earning about $45,000 a year, grew by a third in just the few years from 2001 to 2004, according to the Center for American Progress. The reason for this unsustainable added weight was the rising cost of such items as housing, higher education, health care and transportation at a time when wages grew only slightly or not at all.

In other words, work was not enough.

As for the debt burden of the federal government, don’t ask. (But you might want to ask your grandchildren how they plan to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.)

With reality now caving in on us — banks and brokerage houses falling like tenpins, a trillion dollars or so in bailout money being added to the nation’s debt burden, families by the hundreds of thousands being driven from their homes by foreclosures — it might make sense to get back to basics. And in the United States, the basic economic component of a sustainable family life is a good job.

What we haven’t paid close enough attention to for many years (a period in which we’ve been oddly obsessed with the financial lives of the rich and famous) is the fact that there haven’t been enough good paying jobs to sustain what most working Americans view as an adequate standard of living. This is a fundamental flaw in the U.S. economic system.

With the latest financial meltdown, there has been widespread outrage over the excessive compensation of top corporate executives. Where has everybody been? The rich have been running the table for the better part of the past 30 or 40 years.

Example: The after-tax income of the top 1 percent of Americans rose 228 percent from the late 1970s through 2005. The story for working families over that same stretch was one of constant struggle to just stay even. As the Pew Charitable Trusts reported last year: “The earnings of men in their 30s have remained surprisingly flat over the past four decades.”

Disaster was held at bay by the entrance of wives and mothers into the workplace, and by the embrace of colossal amounts of debt for everything from home mortgages, cars, clothing and vacations to food, college tuition and medical expenses.

Now middle-class and working families are up against the wall. With most other options exhausted, the only real way for the vast majority of Americans to continue financing a reasonable quality of life is through the proceeds from employment.

Unfortunately, we’re retreating on that front. Nearly 160,000 jobs were lost in September. More than three-quarters of a million have vanished over the past nine months.

The economy won’t be saved by bailing out Wall Street and waiting for that day that never comes when the benefits trickle down to ordinary Americans. It won’t be saved until we get serious about putting vast numbers of Americans back to work in jobs that are reasonably secure and pay a sustaining wage.

And that won’t begin to happen until we roll up our sleeves and begin the immensely hard and expensive work of rebuilding a nation that unconscionably was allowed to slip into a precipitous state of decline. We’ll end up spending trillions for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and another trillion, at least, to clean up after the madmen on Wall Street.

Now we need to find the money and the will to put Americans to work rebuilding the nation’s deteriorating infrastructure, revitalizing its public school system, creating a new dawn of energy self-sufficiency and rethinking our approach to an economy that remains tilted wildly in favor of the rich.

That’s what the presidential campaign should be about.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/opinion/07herbert.html?hp=&pagewanted=print

"Now we need to find the money and the will to put Americans to work rebuilding the nation’s deteriorating infrastructure, revitalizing its public school system, creating a new dawn of energy self-sufficiency and rethinking our approach to an economy that remains tilted wildly in favor of the rich."

This is really the bottom line, and I think it's clear which candidate plans to go this route. Clearly, the next "boom" lies in alt energy, and Obama is going to put $150 billion toward development.

I'm also glad CEO pay & golden parachutes are finally getting the scrutiny they deserve. I'm tired of hearing arguments about how guys who run companies into the ground "deserve" their hundreds of millions. I think Bill Gates deserves everything he has, because he revolutionized the world and changed the very nature of productivity for every business. Guys whose only strengths seem to be planning Roman-themed corporate parties? Not so much. It's time to get our heads straight and make things more equitable there.

"Now we need to find the money and the will to put Americans to work rebuilding the nation’s deteriorating infrastructure, revitalizing its public school system, creating a new dawn of energy self-sufficiency and rethinking our approach to an economy that remains tilted wildly in favor of the rich."

This is really the bottom line, and I think it's clear which candidate plans to go this route. Clearly, the next "boom" lies in alt energy, and Obama is going to put $150 billion toward development.

I'm also glad CEO pay & golden parachutes are finally getting the scrutiny they deserve. I'm tired of hearing arguments about how guys who run companies into the ground "deserve" their hundreds of millions. I think Bill Gates deserves everything he has, because he revolutionized the world and changed the very nature of productivity for every business. Guys whose only strengths seem to be planning Roman-themed corporate parties? Not so much. It's time to get our heads straight and make things more equitable there.

Oh defintely, Obama. If McCain were to get it, and the idea really gives me horrors, because I think Palin would be President within two years if that were to happen, then this country is over. I think we might be anyway, I dont' know if we've got what it takes to really rebuild this whole thing. We'd need the kind of fortitude the WWII generation had, and I don't see it. But McCain is the nail in the coffin. He'll get us to third world status really quickly. And then she'd take over, and she's extremely dangerous. She is now keeping the press from talking to people who attend her rallies. I don't know. If Obama loses I just dont' even know how to get up the next morning. You know I have very mixed feelings about him. I worry he weaves too much to the right. But, considering where we are and who could get in, when I hear someone say they are going to vote for a third party, I just feel like, well, ok, I guess you have said your goodbyes to America then.

Also over the past couple of days, I have become almost Desh-like in my fears that they are going to kill him. And that Palin and McCain are doing their best to make that happen. You paint a black man with the name Barack Obama, as a terrorist, one step away from the white house, and start saying "Hussein" a lot, in this country...

I don't remember despising anyone more than I despise John McCain and Sarah Palin. And they're very dangerous. Especially her - he'll be dead within two years.

we still have a golden opportunity with alt energy. Its the perfect storm with our energy consumption and the infrastructure we already have in place for mass production. If we don't act soon however we will yet again become customers instead of suppliers. Unfortunately right now Europe and china have a leg up on us with alternative energy development. While we argued (with dems continuing to vote down the ITC extension until finally it was passed bundled into the bailout) allot of companies started getting pretty anxious about the potential in America and started making changes to there growth plans in the states.

So as it stands now lots of companies are dabbling with the idea of going into alt energy. From rail companies thinking about moving into Michigan factories to build wind turbines to chip making companies overhauling there facilities to make solar cells the seed is definitely ready for fertilization in this country.

There is roadblocks however. Corrupt politicians that block favorable legislation for alt energy and some very shadowy and organized attacks against market cap value on alternative energy stocks. First we need to expose the politicians in the pocket of big oil and then ban short selling on alt energy stocks. We need to give them a chance to compete.

Now is the time to embrace it and end the massive transfer of wealth that has been going on for 50years to feed our addiction to oil.

alt-energy-eps-v5.gif

Oh how much we agree here.

since we are a consumer based economy helping the consumers seemed to me to be the way to go to build a strong America.

Wow. It doesn't matter who is running Congress, if Bush proposes we spend money they can't seem to stop themselves for voting for it.

since we are a consumer based economy helping the consumers seemed to me to be the way to go to build a strong America.

If you want the honey dont go killing all the bees.

Our corporations turned into an idiocracy.

Short term profit at the detriment of the overall market.

The CEOs who they hired were the anything goes as long as we score this quater and fuck it if the company doesnt live till next year because I got my golden parachute.

The people would watch the idiot box greed laced shows to see what to covet and send themselfs into hock by getting a 20th credit card to buy it.

Bling bling and not an iota of attention to the real thing.

This society was sick and we are now swallowing the pill and its going to go down hard.

Yeah I just read where the CEO of lehman was working up till the last trying to get more Executive compensations. After all he only got 300 mill for his few years there.

Obama may be just what this coutnry needs.

A class act with the ability to bring all our people together ( except of course the nutball right) and get us working for our country again.

Clinton was a very popular president and actually brought people together (except of course the nutball right).

I think Obama could be more effective than Clinton in this capacity.

People of all color will truely feel they can be brought into the family and that all other Americans truely do welcome them in by proof of his election(except the nutball right).

I know we will face another Oklahoma style domestic terrorist threat (because of the nutball right) but I think that will only further alienate the nut ball right and cause it to suffocate its self.

we still have a golden opportunity with alt energy. Its the perfect storm with our energy consumption and the infrastructure we already have in place for mass production. If we don't act soon however we will yet again become customers instead of suppliers. Unfortunately right now Europe and china have a leg up on us with alternative energy development. While we argued (with dems continuing to vote down the ITC extension until finally it was passed bundled into the bailout) allot of companies started getting pretty anxious about the potential in America and started making changes to there growth plans in the states.

So as it stands now lots of companies are dabbling with the idea of going into alt energy. From rail companies thinking about moving into Michigan factories to build wind turbines to chip making companies overhauling there facilities to make solar cells the seed is definitely ready for fertilization in this country.

There is roadblocks however. Corrupt politicians that block favorable legislation for alt energy and some very shadowy and organized attacks against market cap value on alternative energy stocks. First we need to expose the politicians in the pocket of big oil and then ban short selling on alt energy stocks. We need to give them a chance to compete.

Now is the time to embrace it and end the massive transfer of wealth that has been going on for 50years to feed our addiction to oil.

alt-energy-eps-v5.gif

I agree with most of the above, however banning short selling is a bad idea. Just re-implement the uptick rule. We never saw the blatant attacks on stocks prior to the idiots in DC removing the uptick rule.

That said, colleges here in CO are designing alt energy degrees... because the biggest deficit in alt energy right now is qualified employees. Those high schoolers that otherwise might have gone to work in factories, can take these courses and become qualified to install solar, build wind plants etc...

The potential here is enormous. We must take advantage of our resources here to produce more energy.

Back