The Share of Million-Dollar Homes in America Just Hit an All-Time High

cawacko

I remember as a kid seeing these big stately homes that sold for $1m and dreaming one day to have one. Now it's like $1m will get you maybe a 2/1.5 with 1,300 sq.ft. and you'd be lucky to have any yard. Times they have a changed.

Nearly 1 in 10 properties have an estimated value of $1 million or more, an ‘entry point’ for some markets

It was once a price threshold associated only with luxury properties, conjuring images of pools, tennis courts and other high-end amenities. Now, 8.5% of U.S. homes have an estimated value of $1 million or more, a record high, according to a new analysis by brokerage Redfin provided exclusively to The Wall Street Journal.

That is up from 7.6% a year ago and more than double the 4% recorded before the pandemic.

The rise in $1 million properties is the result of historically high home prices across the country; the median home sale price rose 4% year-over-year to a record $442,525 in June, Redfin’s data show. The median sale price for U.S. luxury homes, defined as the top 5% of listings, rose 9% year-over-year to a record $1.18 million during the second quarter, according to the company.

“Years ago, if you owned a $1 million home, you would have been considered pretty rich,” said Redfin economist Chen Zhao. “Now, that’s the entry point for some markets.”

Anaheim has seen a spike in homes valued at $1 million or more, with 58.8% of homes reaching seven figures.Photos: 855RealPix
While rising mortgage rates have pushed down demand for homes, a shortage of inventory is keeping prices at historic highs, said Zhao, noting that the housing market is in a “pretty unusual spot right now.” That is good news for homeowners, but makes the market even more challenging for buyers already facing an affordability crisis, she said.

The San Francisco Bay Area has the country’s highest shares of $1 million-plus homes. Photo: David Paul Morris/Bloomberg News
The San Francisco Bay Area has a higher share of $1 million-plus homes than anywhere else in the U.S. In San Francisco, 80.6% of homes were valued at or above $1 million in June, according to Redfin’s data, up from 76.4% in June 2023.

California, already home to the biggest share of $1 million-and-up homes, continues to add them faster than any other state. For instance, Anaheim, Calif., saw one of the biggest increases in $1 million-plus housing stock, with 58.8% of homes estimated to be worth at least $1 million in June, up from 51% in June 2023.

A two-bedroom condo in San Francisco's Mission District is listing for $1.05 million. The condo is located in a former carriage house dating to the 1800s.Photos: Redfin
Bay Area real-estate agent Rose Hayes, who is listing a $1.05 million two-bedroom condo in an 1800s-era carriage house in the Mission District of San Francisco, said she now assumes that any buyer in the area with a $1 million budget is looking for a condo, since they likely couldn’t afford a single-family home. Anything in the area priced under $1 million is likely to get a lot of attention, and such listings often come with complications, such as existing tenancy agreements that buyers would need to take on, she said.

“It’s so hard to find anything for under $1 million out there,” she said.

Only one of the U.S. metro areas surveyed by Redfin saw a decline in the share of $1 million homes. In Austin, Texas, 10% of homes are now worth $1 million or more, down incrementally from 10.1% last year. Redfin attributed that drop to new construction in Texas that has pushed up supply.

There are now only a handful of major metro areas with virtually no homes estimated to be worth $1 million or more. In Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Kansas City, Mo., fewer than 1% of homes were worth seven figures in June, Redfin’s numbers show.

In Detroit, fewer than 1% of homes are valued at $1 million or more. Photo: Jim West/ZUMA Press
While inventory is finally inching up across the country, it is still about 30% below prepandemic levels, according to Redfin. That is because sellers are locked into low interest rates, while construction costs remain significantly higher than before Covid, putting a damper on new construction.

• Sad
Reactions: TOP
I’m surprised it so only one in ten, just from my following my kids, even a one bedroom apartment in major metro areas run at over a million, and you have to prepare to have a down payment check on you when you visit the open house

And the irony that same million for that one bedroom apartment will get a palace on water in other parts of the State, all relevant to location and where people want to live

Probably on of the greatest concerns I have about my boy graduating this year…not can he find a job. Not can he find a decent church. It’s can he find a place he can afford to live.

Comparing the cost of living in Norman to the rest of the nation and there aren’t many better. Right now he’s on the upper end of interviews with Epic (the medical software supply company not the online education company) which is located near Madison, WI. Looking around there I’m hoping he can live outside of Madison or COL, especially housing, is going to eat most of the 6 figure salary they’re throwing out there.

I remember as a kid seeing these big stately homes that sold for $1m and dreaming one day to have one. Now it's like $1m will get you maybe a 2/1.5 with 1,300 sq.ft. and you'd be lucky to have any yard. Times they have a changed.

Nearly 1 in 10 properties have an estimated value of $1 million or more, an ‘entry point’ for some markets

It was once a price threshold associated only with luxury properties, conjuring images of pools, tennis courts and other high-end amenities. Now, 8.5% of U.S. homes have an estimated value of $1 million or more, a record high, according to a new analysis by brokerage Redfin provided exclusively to The Wall Street Journal.

That is up from 7.6% a year ago and more than double the 4% recorded before the pandemic.

The rise in $1 million properties is the result of historically high home prices across the country; the median home sale price rose 4% year-over-year to a record $442,525 in June, Redfin’s data show. The median sale price for U.S. luxury homes, defined as the top 5% of listings, rose 9% year-over-year to a record $1.18 million during the second quarter, according to the company.

“Years ago, if you owned a $1 million home, you would have been considered pretty rich,” said Redfin economist Chen Zhao. “Now, that’s the entry point for some markets.”

Anaheim has seen a spike in homes valued at $1 million or more, with 58.8% of homes reaching seven figures.Photos: 855RealPix
While rising mortgage rates have pushed down demand for homes, a shortage of inventory is keeping prices at historic highs, said Zhao, noting that the housing market is in a “pretty unusual spot right now.” That is good news for homeowners, but makes the market even more challenging for buyers already facing an affordability crisis, she said.

The San Francisco Bay Area has the country’s highest shares of $1 million-plus homes. Photo: David Paul Morris/Bloomberg News
The San Francisco Bay Area has a higher share of $1 million-plus homes than anywhere else in the U.S. In San Francisco, 80.6% of homes were valued at or above $1 million in June, according to Redfin’s data, up from 76.4% in June 2023.

California, already home to the biggest share of $1 million-and-up homes, continues to add them faster than any other state. For instance, Anaheim, Calif., saw one of the biggest increases in $1 million-plus housing stock, with 58.8% of homes estimated to be worth at least $1 million in June, up from 51% in June 2023.

A two-bedroom condo in San Francisco's Mission District is listing for $1.05 million. The condo is located in a former carriage house dating to the 1800s.Photos: Redfin
Bay Area real-estate agent Rose Hayes, who is listing a $1.05 million two-bedroom condo in an 1800s-era carriage house in the Mission District of San Francisco, said she now assumes that any buyer in the area with a $1 million budget is looking for a condo, since they likely couldn’t afford a single-family home. Anything in the area priced under $1 million is likely to get a lot of attention, and such listings often come with complications, such as existing tenancy agreements that buyers would need to take on, she said.

“It’s so hard to find anything for under $1 million out there,” she said.

Only one of the U.S. metro areas surveyed by Redfin saw a decline in the share of $1 million homes. In Austin, Texas, 10% of homes are now worth $1 million or more, down incrementally from 10.1% last year. Redfin attributed that drop to new construction in Texas that has pushed up supply.

There are now only a handful of major metro areas with virtually no homes estimated to be worth $1 million or more. In Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Kansas City, Mo., fewer than 1% of homes were worth seven figures in June, Redfin’s numbers show.

In Detroit, fewer than 1% of homes are valued at $1 million or more. Photo: Jim West/ZUMA Press
While inventory is finally inching up across the country, it is still about 30% below prepandemic levels, according to Redfin. That is because sellers are locked into low interest rates, while construction costs remain significantly higher than before Covid, putting a damper on new construction.

Goddamn, good thing the Harris Brandon team has kept the mortgage rates down to 2.25% and the dollar's inflation rate and value the same as in early Jan 2021.

Investment companies are buying up single-family homes and apartment complexes. They have seminars on how to maximize profits. It is no coincidence that homes and apartments are going up in price. This is what corporations do. They buy up as much of a market as they can and then gouge.

Probably on of the greatest concerns I have about my boy graduating this year…not can he find a job. Not can he find a decent church. It’s can he find a place he can afford to live.

Comparing the cost of living in Norman to the rest of the nation and there aren’t many better. Right now he’s on the upper end of interviews with Epic (the medical software supply company not the online education company) which is located near Madison, WI. Looking around there I’m hoping he can live outside of Madison or COL, especially housing, is going to eat most of the 6 figure salary they’re throwing out there.
Large number of Gen Z kids live with their parents and cost is obviously a major driver behind that. On one hand most people want to live on their own but it does make sense from an economic perspective (as long as they save that money that would have gone to rent).

Goddamn, good thing the Harris Brandon team has kept the mortgage rates down to 2.25% and the dollar's inflation rate and value the same as in early Jan 2021.
Housing is far more of a state and local gov't thing rather than federal. The issue is about supply (and the lack of it). The federal gov't isn't building housing. That's not it's job. And lower interest rates allow people to afford more, but that does nothing if supply stays the same - it simply drives up values.

Housing is far more of a state and local gov't thing rather than federal. The issue is about supply (and the lack of it). The federal gov't isn't building housing. That's not it's job. And lower interest rates allow people to afford more, but that does nothing if supply stays the same - it simply drives up values.
Mortgage rates are a product of FED policy. Higher rates = fewer home purchases for the middle class.
The Federal Government IS building houses and apartments. It is called section 8 and in every large city, planners are required to set aside a certain amount of construction to house low income people, Soon you will see the "benefit" of this when thousands of illegal immigrants start demanding their fair share.
I understand your supply response but I see no shortage or oversupply of available free standing homes. From what I see, many cities are trying to drive people out of their homes so apartments can be put up in their place.

Mortgage rates are a product of FED policy. Higher rates = fewer home purchases for the middle class.
The Federal Government IS building houses and apartments. It is called section 8 and in every large city, planners are required to set aside a certain amount of construction to house low income people, Soon you will see the "benefit" of this when thousands of illegal immigrants start demanding their fair share.
I understand your supply response but I see no shortage or oversupply of available free standing homes. From what I see, many cities are trying to drive people out of their homes so apartments can be put up in their place.
The issue is supply. Say we have ten homes. Lower rates means we can afford more but so can everyone else and we're still all bidding on the same ten homes. That's the issue.

It's largely local regulations that require X percentage of units be set aside for BMI renters. Each city determines that ratio, it's not set by the federal gov't.

At least where I live they aren't tearing down SFH homes to build apartments. They taking old retail/industrial sites and converting them to apartments. (And building is so expensive these days this isn't low income housing that's being built. We're talking about place where studios cost $2,500/mnth type stuff. Not all that cheap.)

In California we've underbuilt for decades. That's our own choosing, that's not because of the federal gov't. And it works the same elsewhere.

I bought my son a home about 9 years ago. I wanted him to have the benefit of his inheritance while I am alive and I wanted my grand kids to grow up in a nice neighborhood. With the cost of housing and the mortgage rates I don't know how kids start out. My wife and I put a contract on our first home the same month that we got married. Before the home got completed it had gone up $9K (42K to 51K) the builder wanted to buy it back from us but we said no. Now my cars cost more than my first home.

Now Biden/Harris are setting FED policy? And builders aren’t required to include Section 8 apartments

Mortgage rates reflect the economy and that is a federal issue. Fewer qualified buyers equal fewer homes being built.

Indeed.

I bought my son a home about 9 years ago. I wanted him to have the benefit of his inheritance while I am alive and I wanted my grand kids to grow up in a nice neighborhood. With the cost of housing and the mortgage rates I don't know how kids start out. My wife and I put a contract on our first home the same month that we got married. Before the home got completed it had gone up $9K (42K to 51K) the builder wanted to buy it back from us but we said no. Now my cars cost more than my first home.
I know what you mean. My house, then a 3 bedroom, 1 bath (about 1400 sq ft) sitting on 2 acres cost me $31,500 in 1992. I bought a new Chevy Tahoe at the GM family discount in 2004 which cost me $41,000. Every vehicle I’ve bought since then has cost more. It’s crazy. And my house, now a 5 bedroom, 2 bath (now about 2100 sq ft) and property keep going up in value every year. Makes me think what I know…a dollar ain’t worth nearly what it once was.

Reactions: TOP
Large number of Gen Z kids live with their parents and cost is obviously a major driver behind that. On one hand most people want to live on their own but it does make sense from an economic perspective (as long as they save that money that would have gone to rent).
Yeah, he won’t be able to live with us (nor would he want to as he’s officially a city kid) and do the work he’s planning to do. Plus, to us, it just isn’t natural. It may be a necessity sometime, heaven forbid, but I don’t see it happening in our case.

Mortgage rates reflect the economy and that is a federal issue. Fewer qualified buyers equal fewer homes being built.
We weren't building enough housing when interest rates were close to zero so I don't think that's the issue. And people still need a place to live so developers would build apartments if demand for SFH wasn't there.

I've noticed that a lot of parents now live with their children as well.

It's called getting laid off, or divorced, or sick- and losing your shirt- your career, and everything else in short order!

Investment companies are buying up single-family homes and apartment complexes. They have seminars on how to maximize profits. It is no coincidence that homes and apartments are going up in price. This is what corporations do. They buy up as much of a market as they can and then gouge.
If I may borrow a line from my man Archives, you sure have talk radio talking points down. But they bare refuting each and every time you say this same thing over and over.

For starters, housing prices have been rising long before institutional investors ever got into the market. The issue in this country is supply. Please explain how new Build to Rent communities, which ADDS supply to the market, causes prices to rise. Institutional investors also purchase and rehab homes that are in awful shape that a large number of people have no desire, or ability, to rehab. Which again, ADDS inventory to the market.

But you act like individuals who purchase homes don't care about appreciation or profit. That when they become NIMBYs it's never because they are worried about their property values. Nope, the way you describe it they are just people happy to have a home and don't care about it's value.

The Revolution intends to do away with private ownership of houses.

And cars, and most everything else as well.

"You will own nothing, and be happy"

Might as well throw in:

OR ELSE!

Back