The surge is working?

evince

Truthmatters
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/244/story/53605.html

New U.S. intelligence report warns 'victory' not certain in Iraq
More on this Story

WASHINGTON — A nearly completed high-level U.S. intelligence analysis warns that unresolved ethnic and sectarian tensions in Iraq could unleash a new wave of violence, potentially reversing the major security and political gains achieved over the last year.

U.S. officials familiar with the new National Intelligence Estimate said they were unsure when the top-secret report would be completed and whether it would be published before the Nov. 4 presidential election.

More than a half-dozen officials spoke to McClatchy on condition of anonymity because NIE's, the most authoritative analyses produced by the U.S. intelligence community, are restricted to the president, his senior aides and members of Congress except in rare instances when just the key findings are made public.

The new NIE, which reflects the consensus of all 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, has significant implications for Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama, whose differences over the Iraq war are a major issue in the presidential campaign.

The findings seem to cast doubts on McCain's frequent assertions that the United States is "on a path to victory" in Iraq by underscoring the deep uncertainties of the situation despite the 30,000-strong U.S. troop surge for which he was the leading congressional advocate.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/244/story/53605.html

New U.S. intelligence report warns 'victory' not certain in Iraq
More on this Story

WASHINGTON — A nearly completed high-level U.S. intelligence analysis warns that unresolved ethnic and sectarian tensions in Iraq could unleash a new wave of violence, potentially reversing the major security and political gains achieved over the last year.

U.S. officials familiar with the new National Intelligence Estimate said they were unsure when the top-secret report would be completed and whether it would be published before the Nov. 4 presidential election.

More than a half-dozen officials spoke to McClatchy on condition of anonymity because NIE's, the most authoritative analyses produced by the U.S. intelligence community, are restricted to the president, his senior aides and members of Congress except in rare instances when just the key findings are made public.

The new NIE, which reflects the consensus of all 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, has significant implications for Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama, whose differences over the Iraq war are a major issue in the presidential campaign.

The findings seem to cast doubts on McCain's frequent assertions that the United States is "on a path to victory" in Iraq by underscoring the deep uncertainties of the situation despite the 30,000-strong U.S. troop surge for which he was the leading congressional advocate.

Has anyone claimed victory in Iraq is guaranteed? Is this suppose to be news? Even people who claim we are winning now say that it is not a fait accompli. The battle is not over.

Has anyone claimed victory in Iraq is guaranteed? Is this suppose to be news? Even people who claim we are winning now say that it is not a fait accompli. The battle is not over.

yeah but it was only supposed to take may 6 months at the most and just cost a few billion....
Some of us see truth eventually. Some do not.

Are you just saying that because Desh is a liberal?

Are you just saying that because Desh is a liberal?

I'm not making the connection. I'm saying it because its what I understand the truth to be. We are winning at the moment in Iraq but it is still a fragile situation where as much as we've made progress we can just as easily go backwards. In short we are now doing well but still have lots of work left to do.

It goes right back to the fact that these people have never wanted to be a country.

Whenever we leave they will resort back to their natural state of fighting each other over religion.

It goes right back to the fact that these people have never wanted to be a country.

Whenever we leave they will resort back to their natural state of fighting each other over religion.

yep what I said before we ever invaded or moved to the excuse of bringing them democracy.

Our definition of winning in Iraq is a strange one. The fact that Iraqi's are not killing us and eachother right now is a victory. I want to know how much money we are still paying to local moslem groups to keep the peace. If the peace is being kept because we are paying for it, that is not victory. That is paying the violence forward. We will have to leave someday and when we leave I imagine that we will take our check book home with us. Then there will be no incentive to remain peaceful.

Don’t worry Cawacko, I can explain all the posts you don’t understand to you today, because SF isn’t around that I see. I usually have to read posts to him. Slowly. Sometimes he follows along, with his finger.

Of course you’re not. I guess I will have to hold your hand and explain it to you? It’s Onceler’s dry way of mocking your question on the debate thread. I think. I’m pretty sure.

Ok it went right over my head then. What is he mocking on the debate thread?

Our definition of winning in Iraq is a strange one. The fact that Iraqi's are not killing us and eachother right now is a victory. I want to know how much money we are still paying to local moslem groups to keep the peace. If the peace is being kept because we are paying for it, that is not victory. That is paying the violence forward. We will have to leave someday and when we leave I imagine that we will take our check book home with us. Then there will be no incentive to remain peaceful.

Its all about squeeking past Jan 20th 2009.

After that the Dems will be in control and will do the leaving.

Then the Rs will call the enivitable mess the Dems fault for doign it wrong.

They screwed the pooch and will blame the guy who takes it to the dr for treatment for the pooches pain.

Back