The US Constitution

Is the US Consititution that important to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How dedicated are you to it?

Do you believe that it should be strictly adhered to by the courts no matter the issue or are you of the mindset that the courts should ignore the parts you don't like anymore? Does the consitution matter to anyone anymore?

Last edited:
How dedicated are you to it?

Do you believe that it should be strictly adhered to by the courts no matter the issue or are you of the mindset that the courts should ignore the parts you don't like anymore? Does the consitution matter to anyone anymore?

We have the formula of Constitutional Amendment in order to allow a clearer definition to evolving dilemmas. These amendments MUST fit within the constraints of the original document and must not contradict any other section, article, or amendment. These constraints ensure its active protection for the people it serves. So I voted that a strict adherence to the constitution as a legally binding document is an absolute must for our nation to govern justly.

The Constitution is an absolute. It has a mechanism to change those aspects which no longer fit the needs of society. We have done so 27 times. The idea it can be reinterpreted by 9 men to fit differing ideas just opens us up to abuse by government - as is becoming more and more apparent as the years roll past.

Interpretation is certainly part of the process - but interpretation should be limited to interpreting a piece of legislation, and deciding whether it violates the limits of the constitution or not. Instead we have justices "interpreting" and "reinterpreting" how a section of the constitution "applies to modern society." It is simple: the Constitution says what it says. It applies to modern society exactly as it applied to past society. If that is not good enough, then add a 28th amendment.

In the draught of a fundamental constitution, two things deserve attention:

1. To insert essential principles only; lest the operations of government should be clogged by rendering those provisions permanent and unalterable, which ought to be accommodated to times and events: and

2. To use simple and precise language, and general propositions, according to the example of the constitutions of the several states.

That was the statement of one of the founders in the drafting committee. That is two-thirds of the brilliance of the constitution, that it adapts with time. And you want to do away with that, not because it's what the founders wanted, because it clearly isn't, but because it suits your purposes.

Last edited:
You freedom and America hating hacks should introduce your addled brains to the bullets you make love too. That is the most ridiculous definition of a living constitution I've ever heard of. Conservatism is a mental disorder. No one who voted for the first option should ever be allowed to vote again, it's against the law for the mentally ill to vote.

Interpretation is absolutely vital to insuring that the document as written is not a toothless list of truisms. Example, the Fourth Amendment says:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Notice that this Amendment says NOTHING about what is supposed to happen should a search be conducted without meeting the standard of the amendment. To me, common sense says that if you violate the above the search was not only illegal of it violated the constitution and anything you find in the course of that unconstitutional search should be excluded. However, after the Supreme Court actually pointed that out to people, individuals of the conservative ilk said that the exclusionary rule was judge made and that illegally and unconstitutionally gained evidence should be admissible against the person being prosecuted. If not for those "9 men" interpreting the constitution cops could kick your door in and obtain evidence without a warrant and it would be admissible against you. This is the flaw in the conservative belief that the mere words of the constitution are enough. I believe the founders were so smart that it never even occurred to them that the fruits of a search conducted in violation of the amendment would EVER be allowed in a court. Most of us live in a world where violation of rules have consequences. Cheaters never prosper and all that, but until Mapp v. Ohio it never seemed to occur to ANYONE that violating the Fourth Amendment should have negative consequences to the prosecution.

Interpretation is absolutely vital to insuring that the document as written is not a toothless list of truisms. Example, the Fourth Amendment says:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Notice that this Amendment says NOTHING about what is supposed to happen should a search be conducted without meeting the standard of the amendment. To me, common sense says that if you violate the above the search was not only illegal of it violated the constitution and anything you find in the course of that unconstitutional search should be excluded. However, after the Supreme Court actually pointed that out to people, individuals of the conservative ilk said that the exclusionary rule was judge made and that illegally and unconstitutionally gained evidence should be admissible against the person being prosecuted. If not for those "9 men" interpreting the constitution cops could kick your door in and obtain evidence without a warrant and it would be admissible against you. This is the flaw in the conservative belief that the mere words of the constitution are enough. I believe the founders were so smart that it never even occurred to them that the fruits of a search conducted in violation of the amendment would EVER be allowed in a court. Most of us live in a world where violation of rules have consequences. Cheaters never prosper and all that, but until Mapp v. Ohio it never seemed to occur to ANYONE that violating the Fourth Amendment should have negative consequences to the prosecution.

Very illuminating post Soc.

Why is DICK-see allowed to use that racist HATE CRIME avatar
Just to piss you off.

OR, perhaps it is part of what we call FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION. But I know your ilk do not believe in freedom.

Why don't you go polish your jack boots and goose step around your neighborhood for a while?

Hes a racist RePIG redneck, too bad his Commander in Chief is a Black Man, President Obama - and the inbred white trash retard can't handle it!!! ROTFLMAO!!!:clink:

Hes a racist RePIG redneck, too bad his Commander in Chief is a Black Man, President Obama - and the inbred white trash retard can't handle it!!! ROTFLMAO!!!:clink:
And if he IS racist? (Not agreeing that he is on your mindless word for it, but hypothetically) What of it? There is still that pesky thing called FREEDOM. It means he is free to express ideas in any way he wants to that does not pose a danger to others.

But like all totalitarian fascist fucks, you can't handle it.

(I'd laugh too - at you - if your kind were not so sadly pathetic.)

If someone is racist, you give them a hard time about it. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I think Dixie is racist.
Oh, I am all about giving (proven) racists a hard time. But I will never demand they not have the right to express themselves with the same freedom I have.

as far as Dixie goes, I have not personally read anything I find to be racist. But, I probably only read about 10% (or less) of the stuff posted in this forum.

Does not matter though. If I see a racist comment from him, I will call him on it. But even while calling him on it, will continue to defend his right to express his ideas.

Back