The Wal-Mart Effect.... Good or Bad?

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, primarily because I loathe waiting in line for 35 minutes in order to save 4% more than at Target. Also, they seem to really treat their employees like shit, censor lyrics in the CD department, and routinely push for government protection/welfare with eminent domain grabs and sales taxes which pay for their facilities.

However, I don't look at it as the "Wal-Mart" effect, in the sense that they are solely responsible for their success. It should really be called "millions of people repeatedly choosing to shop at Wal-Mart" effect. They certainly create lots of jobs, which is a good thing; I won't complain about that. Will I shop there and contribute to the effect? No thanks. I'd rather see government stop giving them so much welfare and subsidy (unlikely these days, to say the least) and see how well they compete.

I would like to see a straight up comparison to Target ... pay scales , employee benefits , etc ... Im thinking there is not much difference.

I try to avoid shopping at Walmart ... would rather shop at BJ's , Sears and a couple of others....including Target.

For those who do not shpop at wally world. Do you not buy stocks from companies that do not have good employee relations, pay scales, etc ?

Do you do the same with restaurants ?

Gasoline ?

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, primarily because I loathe waiting in line for 35 minutes in order to save 4% more than at Target. Also, they seem to really treat their employees like shit, censor lyrics in the CD department, and routinely push for government protection/welfare with eminent domain grabs and sales taxes which pay for their facilities.

However, I don't look at it as the "Wal-Mart" effect, in the sense that they are solely responsible for their success. It should really be called "millions of people repeatedly choosing to shop at Wal-Mart" effect. They certainly create lots of jobs, which is a good thing; I won't complain about that. Will I shop there and contribute to the effect? No thanks. I'd rather see government stop giving them so much welfare and subsidy (unlikely these days, to say the least) and see how well they compete.

Ever heard of the race to the bottom Ironhead? Well that's why corporate welfare exists. The economic competition of subnational and national units can only spell huge profits for corporations. That is the end result of libertarianism.

Ever heard of the race to the bottom Ironhead? Well that's why corporate welfare exists. The economic competition of subnational and national units can only spell huge profits for corporations. That is the end result of libertarianism.

Big corporations hate competition. Why do you think they appeal to government for protection and subsidy? They don't want market discipline, because it helps to level the playing field.

Big corporations hate competition. Why do you think they appeal to government for protection and subsidy? They don't want market discipline, because it helps to level the playing field.

No, governments themselves are competing by both getting rid of labor protections and handing them money. That's why corporations LOVE competition. That's the problem with free trade.

For those who do not shpop at wally world. Do you not buy stocks from companies that do not have good employee relations, pay scales, etc ?

Do you do the same with restaurants ?

Gasoline ?

I saw an "I don't shop at Wal-Mart" bumper sticker and thought, you should get a Mercedes to go with that!

I shop at wal mart and save some Money. Groceries, motor oil, tires, sporting goods, clothes, electronics, etc

I do the same as those that buy stocks do, buy as low as you can.

Their grocery selection is a bit limited so I also shop at Krogers.

I almost never wait more than 5-10 minutes in line.

I can get a haricut there, do banking, even get a pair of glasses.

Back