There is no evidence/proof you'll vanish into non-existence

The topic came up due to recent thread.

Doc Darth is wrong about atheism. Atheism is not a "belief that God doesn't exist".

As far as I can determine, anyone using the descriptor "atheist" as a self-descriptor...either BELIEVES there are no gods...or BELIEVES it is more like that there are no gods than that there is at least one.

Both are nothing but blind guesses.

The notion that "atheism" is nothing more than lacking a "BELIEF" that any gods exist...is an absurdity.

I lack a "BELIEF" that any gods exist...and there is no fucking way I am an atheist.

Frankly, I think we all ought to get away from descriptors...and actually describe what our take is on the issue.

I've given mine.

What about yours?

As far as I can determine, anyone using the descriptor "atheist" as a self-descriptor...either BELIEVES there are no gods...or BELIEVES it is more like that there are no gods than that there is at least one.

Both are nothing but blind guesses.

The notion that "atheism" is nothing more than lacking a "BELIEF" that any gods exist...is an absurdity.

I lack a "BELIEF" that any gods exist...and there is no fucking way I am an atheist.

Frankly, I think we all ought to get away from descriptors...and actually describe what our take is on the issue.

I've given mine.

What about yours?

Atheism simply means a lack of belief in a deity. Atheism has to do with belief. Agnosticism has to do with knowledge.

An atheist has no belief and an agnostic has no knowledge.

Do you "believe" or "know" that Bigfoot don't exist? No you don't. If you are interested, you'd be asking for evidence.

If someone comes up to you and claim to you that Xenu exists, what would you do?

Atheism simply means a lack of belief in a deity. Atheism has to do with belief. Agnosticism has to do with knowledge.

Do you "believe" or "know" that Bigfoot don't exist? No you don't. If you are interested, you'd be asking for evidence.

If someone comes up to you and claim to you that Xenu exists, what would you do?

Atheism can mean a lot of things. Mostly it means lack of believe in the Christian conception of God.

I disagree with what you write here, but in any case, it has little to do with what I wrote.

Do you personally know any person who uses the descriptor "atheist" who does not believe there are no gods or who does not believe it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one?

Do you?

Atheism can mean a lot of things. Mostly it means lack of believe in the Christian conception of God.
No, that's just somebody who is traumatized and bitter that their parents used to drag them to a Fundy church.

Atheists aren't allowed to believe in Allah, Yahweh, Shiva, Brahman, or Vishnu either.

I disagree with what you write here, but in any case, it has little to do with what I wrote.

Do you personally know any person who uses the descriptor "atheist" who does not believe there are no gods or who does not believe it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one?

Do you?

Believing means accepting something is true without evidence. It would be hypocritical for him/her to do so while accusing believers of that.

Do you?

I rarely ever met an atheist.

Believing means accepting something is true without evidence. It would be hypocritical for him/her to do so while accusing believers of that.

Not sure what you mean here.

People CAN be hypocritical.

So I ask again...do you personally know any person who uses the descriptor "atheist" who does not believe there are no gods or who does not believe it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one?

Back