They still don't get it...

DigitalDave

Sexy Beast!
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/18/mulally.automaker.bailout/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

The Auto Industry is still pushing for a bailout, but Ford.. well, they still want to push the F-150! I mean, it's been a best seller for years on end, why would they want to change their business model? Oh, they've been there since the beginning on the hybrid technology too, they just refused to put it in cars, and only did it to their profitable vehicles, the SUV. They have our best interests at heart, obviously. Lets save them!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/18/mulally.automaker.bailout/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

The Auto Industry is still pushing for a bailout, but Ford.. well, they still want to push the F-150! I mean, it's been a best seller for years on end, why would they want to change their business model? Oh, they've been there since the beginning on the hybrid technology too, they just refused to put it in cars, and only did it to their profitable vehicles, the SUV. They have our best interests at heart, obviously. Lets save them!

No bailout for the companies if we can do something for the workers. I heard a guy this morning (R Senator from AZ I think) saying that people are going to lose jobs and they are just going to have to lump it. I'm thinking, "Man, you're cold." He was blaming all of this on the unions and while I agree that the unions are partly to blame (by creating an unlevel playing field with foreign companies) so is the bad management of the companies. On the other side the D-Senator was blaming everything on the companies and the fact that we (the US) don't have universal healthcare. Until there is some concessions on both sides we aren't going to get anything but the status quo.

hmm wasn't there some thing back in the 80's with Chrysler that needed a bailout? the govt paid and made back a profit?

The companies in trouble are the big three, not Toyota, Honda, Mercedes and others.

Toyota, Honda, Hyndai, Mercedes, Nissan and BMW (to name a few) are not begging for a bailout.

I wonder why? They build cars in the US.

No bailout for the companies if we can do something for the workers. I heard a guy this morning (R Senator from AZ I think) saying that people are going to lose jobs and they are just going to have to lump it. I'm thinking, "Man, you're cold." He was blaming all of this on the unions and while I agree that the unions are partly to blame (by creating an unlevel playing field with foreign companies) so is the bad management of the companies. On the other side the D-Senator was blaming everything on the companies and the fact that we (the US) don't have universal healthcare. Until there is some concessions on both sides we aren't going to get anything but the status quo.

Yes, the unions have some responsibility, although they have recently made a number of concessions, but the unions aren't necessarily creating an unlevel playing field as compared to foreign companies. Lots of European automakers (German particularly) have very strong unions and very generous benefits yet they remain very competitive. Well, I suppose it may have something to do with universal healthcare not being a cost of business in much of Europe but I digress.

Back