This weekend I will be doing maintenance on the site.

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
I will be updating the database to a better engine, hopefully this will resolve the efficiency issues we've been having as well as making it so I can get cleaner backups than I have been getting lately.

Once I have converted the database I may take next weekend to migrate to a new server. The company I have been using for all this time seems to have lost a step or two in customer service and reliability. Maybe I'm just being a bit judgmental...

LOL.

Anyway, While we are down I hope to have a page holder index.html page up so that the database won't be hit every time someone comes to the site trying to see if I am done yet.

:D

I will be updating the database to a better engine, hopefully this will resolve the efficiency issues we've been having as well as making it so I can get cleaner backups than I have been getting lately.

Once I have converted the database I may take next weekend to migrate to a new server. The company I have been using for all this time seems to have lost a step or two in customer service and reliability. Maybe I'm just being a bit judgmental...

LOL.

Anyway, While we are down I hope to have a page holder index.html page up so that the database won't be hit every time someone comes to the site trying to see if I am done yet.

Hey thanks for the head's up!

Just a suggestion, but I believe it would be a good time for you stop allowing members to put up DRONING MEMES and gifs that are Full screen size that are tacked onto every one of their comments here. Just refer to Stone and ExpressLane- if you need examples of BIT HOGS.

Can you only imagine how much a drag on memory, the CPU- AND THE NETWORK, that has on the system in terms of utilization.

Also, check and see if you can create a standard size for all pictures that are tacked onto comments.

Knowing most people are not savvy with HTML, and don't bother to downsize their pics, perhaps your Forum software can automatically convert the size of the JPG's.

Because Pics are such overhead issues in realtime!

Last edited:
Almost all the images are hotlinked and served from another server. I'll see if I can figure out something though.

Hey thanks for the head's up!

Just a suggestion, but I believe it would be a good time for you stop allowing members to put up DRONING MEMES and gifs that are Full screen size that are tacked onto every one of their comments here. Just refer to Stone and ExpressLane- if you need examples of BIT HOGS.

Can you only imagine how much a drag on memory, the CPU- AND THE NETWORK, that has on the system in terms of utilization.

Also, check and see if you can create a standard size for all pictures that are tacked onto comments.

Knowing most people are not savvy with HTML, and don't bother to downsize their pics, perhaps your Forum software can automatically convert the size of the JPG's.

Because Pics are such overhead issues in realtime!

And largely unnecessary

LOL.

I suggest that you update the X page at least once a day with progress and expected timelines, and that you put a notice on the holdpage that you will be doing this.

I mean how hard could that be?

"X is the answer" sounds like something Elon might say....and I might be wrong that X is the place for regular updates.....but there certainly should be a place....We The People rate that.

"X is the answer" sounds like something Elon might say....and I might be wrong that X is the place for regular updates.....but there certainly should be a place....We The People rate that.

I don't do X and I don't do facebook. But I'll live...

I may not be able to use the hold page because most of y'all have the forum.php or a search page set in favorites and it will bypass it. I need to make sure nobody accesses the database when I am updating the engine so I may just block all access using the htaccess file.

I wish the best for JPP...make no mistakes on this point.

STEVE

LOL. True that. Backups.... I'll export the database as it is first... then I'll do this. So, if anything goes wrong I should be able to reset it to the point where I shut it down and start over.

I suggest that you update the X page at least once a day with progress and expected timelines, and that you put a notice on the holdpage that you will be doing this.

I mean how hard could that be?

Yah, hopefully it won't take days to do this...

Back