Tim Walz is giving MAGA a master class in manhood

NakedHunterBiden

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”

I don’t think I’m alone in my belief. I’ve been seeing posts on social media praising Walz for embodying a more refreshing and humane idea of manhood than anything conservatives are offering. And Harris seems to understand that, as well.

In her speech introducing Walz to voters, Harris took time to lay out his “tough guy” bona fides but smartly laid out how they gave him a compassionate perspective. She mentioned that Walz is an elite marksman who served in the Army National Guard for 24 years before explaining that he supports gun safety laws. She delved into his success as a high school teacher and championship-winning football coach — referring to him as “Coach Walz” multiple times — before explaining that he also thought it was important to serve as the faculty adviser for his school’s gay-straight alliance organization. She referred to his early life on a farm in the Nebraska Plains, saying their similar upbringings in middle-class families taught them the importance of “lifting people up, not knocking them down.”

Harris essentially built Walz up as a kindhearted tough guy who is eager to do good.
Harris essentially built Walz up as a kindhearted tough guy who is eager to do good.

And the contrast with the Republican ticket could not be clearer. Trump has essentially built his campaign around a puerile, hypermasculine identity that’s steeped in faux machismo, violence, crassness and indifference to the oppression of marginalized groups. It’s a schoolyard bully’s concept of what a man should be.

But Walz is schooling them thus far, showing Trump and Vance — and voters nationwide — that manhood can be more than a repressive drag on society.

Back