Tonkin Gulf v.2.0

Cypress

:rolleyes:

1. The Dangerous Verbal Threat. Initial media reports said that a “threatening radio call from the Iranians” warned that the U.S. “ships would explode.” Later, we learned that the verbal threat may not have come from an Iranian, and may instead have been the voice of a famous heckler.

2. The Boxes In The Water. After the verbal threat, the Iranian boats were observed “dropping objects in the water.” But as the Washington Post reported, U.S. ships at the time of the incident determined the boxes “posed no threat to the American vessels.” “After passing the white objects, commanders on the USS Port Royal and its accompanying destroyer and frigate decided there was so little danger from the objects that they did not bother to radio other ships to warn them.”

3. Boats Coming At The Ships. Initial media reports said “the Iranians ‘maneuvered aggressively’ in the direction of the U.S. ships.” But as the video shows, “the only boat that was close enough to be visible to the U.S. ships was unarmed.” “The footage of the boats maneuvering provides no visual evidence of Iranian boats ‘making a run on U.S. ships.’ ”

luckily its 2008 and we have 2 things:

1) information at a high rate of speed

2) experience to not trust what bush says.

What I find striking is how little attention this is getting even among the antiwar crowd. Bush and the neocon horde are pushing for more war and seemingly will stop at nothing to get it.

Yet ..

As with this thread and others on this topic, and as with the awareness and outrage among the press, little is being made of the fact that once again the Bush Administration has been caught in another deception.

I have been amazed at how it would be considered an "act of war" even if it were true. Even if all of it were true, there was no actual danger, nobody was hurt, nothing was harmed and no action was taken.

I can't see how this would make Iran any more of a threat at all. Even if it were 100% true.

How many Bush Deceptions is that BAC, I have lost count.

Hmmmm ...

Downing Street Memo

Yellow-cake uranium from Niger

Powell testimony at UN and his aluminum tubes

Saddam and WMD

Saddam and 9/11

9/11

The "rescue" of Jessica Lynch

The toppling of Saddam's statue

Pat Tillman

Color-coded "Terror" alerts

Iran's supposed nuclear program

... just a few of the ones we know

:rolleyes:

1. The Dangerous Verbal Threat. Initial media reports said that a “threatening radio call from the Iranians” warned that the U.S. “ships would explode.” Later, we learned that the verbal threat may not have come from an Iranian, and may instead have been the voice of a famous heckler.

2. The Boxes In The Water. After the verbal threat, the Iranian boats were observed “dropping objects in the water.” But as the Washington Post reported, U.S. ships at the time of the incident determined the boxes “posed no threat to the American vessels.” “After passing the white objects, commanders on the USS Port Royal and its accompanying destroyer and frigate decided there was so little danger from the objects that they did not bother to radio other ships to warn them.”

3. Boats Coming At The Ships. Initial media reports said “the Iranians ‘maneuvered aggressively’ in the direction of the U.S. ships.” But as the video shows, “the only boat that was close enough to be visible to the U.S. ships was unarmed.” “The footage of the boats maneuvering provides no visual evidence of Iranian boats ‘making a run on U.S. ships.’ ”

Hilarious:

Fox News Reverses Course After Initially Calling For U.S. Navy To Blow Iran Boats ‘Out Of The Water’

BRIAN KILMEADE, last week: "Was this a mistake not to blow these other Iranian speedboats out of the water? […] Why did we not destroy these speedboats? […] We had an opportunity to send a message to a nation that has been needling us for 20 years."

Today, a week after his call for war with Iran, Brian Kilmeade was forced to concede that the verbal threats made against the U.S. ships are “a possible hoax from a man called the ‘Filipino Monkey.’” Kilmeade’s co-host Gretchen Carlson claimed that she knew it all along. “I remember sitting in my office thinking, you gotta be kidding me? That voice does not sound to me like an Iranian accent.” She didn’t say that on-air, however, prior to this morning.

Kilmeade’s other co-host, Steve Doocy, piped in with this comment:

DOOCY: But can you imagine, had we blown those little boats out of the water to find out, you know, that they didn’t have bombs and in fact it was the Filipino Monkey who was somewhere on shore pulling a prank?

thinkprogress.org

Back