Top EPA Official Pushing EVs Can’t Say How Much Electricity America Uses In A Year

ptif219

Verified User
The Democrats have no clue how they will produce enough Electricity to charge millions of EV's

https://dailycaller.com/2023/06/22/...cation-does-not-know-much-electricity-demand/

A top Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) official tasked with guiding the Biden administration’s emissions regulation policies was unable to approximate how much electricity the U.S. uses in a year, despite his own agency pushing regulations that would effectively mandate widespread adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) and substantially increase overall electricity demand.

Principal Deputy Assistant Administrator for the Office of Air and Radiation (OAR) Joseph Goffman admitted Thursday that he did not know how much electricity the U.S. uses in a year when asked by Republican Rep. August Pfluger of Texas during a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing on proposed EPA emissions regulations and Republican-sponsored legislation to counter them. Goffman’s admission regarding American energy demand comes as the OAR and EPA are pushing regulatory standards for American car production that would necessitate a large increase in electricity supply.

“How much electricity does the United States demand each year?,” Pfluger asked. “I don’t know that number off the top of my head,” Goffman responded.

“It’s 4 terawatts annually,” Pfluger said in reply.Pfluger continued the line of questioning, asking Goffman to identify “the percentage increase in electricity demand if we get to the 2030 and 2035 mandates that your agency is pushing for and the administration is pushing for.” Goffman cited figures of 0.4% by 2030 and 4% for 2050 in response to that question.

Goffman’s cited figures stand at odds with estimates by Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm at an earlier hearing. Granholm had said that the Biden administration’s long-term push for EVs would “double our energy demand,” Pfluger said. When pressed for details regarding where the EPA expects to get that excess energy, Goffman responded that it would “come from a diverse grid.”The U.S. would need to produce at least 20-50% more electricity than it used in 2019 if all cars on the road became EVs, according to analysis from USA Facts. Fossil fuels were responsible for about 60% of all U.S. electricity generated in 2022, while renewables only generated 22%, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Soon you will be taxed by miles driven

Think before posting. Roads and other upkeep on the vehicle infrastructure are paid for by gas taxes. If you do not use gas, you do not contribute. So a charge for miles driven is how it will work. When you renew your registration, you will get assessed if you drive electric. It will not impact you gas guzzlers.

Think before posting. Roads and other upkeep on the vehicle infrastructure are paid for by gas taxes. If you do not use gas, you do not contribute. So a charge for miles driven is how it will work. When you renew your registration, you will get assessed if you drive electric. It will not impact you gas guzzlers.

The norm for this is to estimate the taxes you'd pay if you didn't have an EV. Most states tend to put these on the high side of the range to cover 'slop' in the figures and to penalize EV's for being heavier and doing more road damage.

I will not drive electric

The norm for this is to estimate the taxes you'd pay if you didn't have an EV. Most states tend to put these on the high side of the range to cover 'slop' in the figures and to penalize EV's for being heavier and doing more road damage.

If I buy gas I already pay my tax

Back