Trump Advocates for State-Level Decision Making on Abortion Rights

timmyogoodwin

TimmyOGoodwin
In a recent video, Donald Trump articulated his stance on abortion, emphasizing that the matter should be decided by individual states rather than at the federal level. This announcement, shared on his Truth Social platform, ended months of speculation regarding his position. Trump conveyed that the decision on abortion rights should rest with state legislatures or through direct voter input, asserting that their resolutions should stand as the prevailing laws within each state.

Without specifying a timeframe, Trump outlined his perspective against the backdrop of varied state regulations following the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade. He acknowledged that states might adopt different restrictions based on the collective will of their citizens.

Amidst the ongoing debate on abortion rights, Trump's comments come as both political parties eye the 2024 presidential election, with abortion access remaining a pivotal issue. President Joe Biden has been vocal about the impact of the Supreme Court's decision on women's health, supporting individuals like Amanda Zurawski of Texas and Kaitlyn Joshua of Louisiana. These women, facing dire medical situations under restrictive abortion laws, have decided to campaign for Biden, highlighting the personal stakes involved.

Furthermore, as misinformation campaigns targeting Latino voters ramp up, efforts like those by La Campesina, a Spanish-language radio network, aim to provide accurate information on voting and election processes. This outreach underscores the importance of informed voting on critical issues, including abortion rights.

Trump, while positioning himself as a pro-life advocate, has critiqued his party's rigid stance on abortion, suggesting that inflexibility on exceptions for rape, incest, and maternal health has cost Republicans elections. His recent remarks reflect an attempt to navigate the deeply polarized opinions on abortion, proposing a consensus around a potential 15-week national ban, a position that aligns with some segments within the pro-life movement.

As the political landscape evolves, the issue of abortion rights continues to stir significant debate, with the Supreme Court's decision reshaping the battleground. This ongoing discourse highlights the complex interplay between personal beliefs, political strategy, and the legal framework governing abortion in the United States.

Contributions to this report were made by Michelle L. Price of The Associated Press.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-abortion-2024-ban-7bf06e0856b88a710c79a6eb85cffa6a

Quelle surprise. He dances down the middle as always.

When left up to the people, as happened recently in Ohio, the people choose reproductive freedom over repression -- even in red states.

In a recent video, Donald Trump articulated his stance on abortion, emphasizing that the matter should be decided by individual states rather than at the federal level. This announcement, shared on his Truth Social platform, ended months of speculation regarding his position. Trump conveyed that the decision on abortion rights should rest with state legislatures or through direct voter input, asserting that their resolutions should stand as the prevailing laws within each state.

Without specifying a timeframe, Trump outlined his perspective against the backdrop of varied state regulations following the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade. He acknowledged that states might adopt different restrictions based on the collective will of their citizens.

Amidst the ongoing debate on abortion rights, Trump's comments come as both political parties eye the 2024 presidential election, with abortion access remaining a pivotal issue. President Joe Biden has been vocal about the impact of the Supreme Court's decision on women's health, supporting individuals like Amanda Zurawski of Texas and Kaitlyn Joshua of Louisiana. These women, facing dire medical situations under restrictive abortion laws, have decided to campaign for Biden, highlighting the personal stakes involved.

Furthermore, as misinformation campaigns targeting Latino voters ramp up, efforts like those by La Campesina, a Spanish-language radio network, aim to provide accurate information on voting and election processes. This outreach underscores the importance of informed voting on critical issues, including abortion rights.

Trump, while positioning himself as a pro-life advocate, has critiqued his party's rigid stance on abortion, suggesting that inflexibility on exceptions for rape, incest, and maternal health has cost Republicans elections. His recent remarks reflect an attempt to navigate the deeply polarized opinions on abortion, proposing a consensus around a potential 15-week national ban, a position that aligns with some segments within the pro-life movement.

As the political landscape evolves, the issue of abortion rights continues to stir significant debate, with the Supreme Court's decision reshaping the battleground. This ongoing discourse highlights the complex interplay between personal beliefs, political strategy, and the legal framework governing abortion in the United States.

Contributions to this report were made by Michelle L. Price of The Associated Press.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-abortion-2024-ban-7bf06e0856b88a710c79a6eb85cffa6a

He is desperate to get on the other side of this issue.

I am glad to see he agrees with Biden on this part of the issue.

All Joe's got left to campaign on is weed anytime and $35 insulin and inhalers...uh, oh...

Quelle surprise. He dances down the middle as always.

When left up to the people, as happened recently in Ohio, the people choose reproductive freedom over repression -- even in red states.
I wonder if he still supports women getting prosecuted?

I still wonder how many abortions he has paid for?

All Joe's got left to campaign on is weed anytime and $35 insulin and inhalers...uh, oh...

Sounds good to me, TOP.
I honestly don't care if Biden is campaigning on free heroin for elementary school students.
I really don't.

Virtually any priority other than stopping Trump is in my view a highly immoral priority
and a stance of belligerence taken against me and my family personally.

I don't want the leader of devolved mutants in the Oval Office again.
His having been there once is a humiliation that will take at least decades for humanity to overcome.
I shan't recover from it in my short remaining lifetime.

“And in CNN’s latest poll, 15% of likely voters called abortion their top issue, placing it second – by some distance – to economic concerns.”
cnn.com

Sounds good to me, TOP.
I honestly don't care if Biden is campaigning on free heroin for elementary school students.
I really don't.

Virtually any priority other than stopping Trump is in my view a highly immoral priority

His having been there once is a humiliation that will take at least decades for humanity to overcome.

You have the morality of an alley cat, old man.

It will take decades for humanity to overcome your disgusting time on earth.

So you support trump’s position.

I support the right of the people of each state, barring a national law protecting reproductive freedom, to put the issue on the ballot and vote on it. I do not support the ability of a handful of legislators deciding for their state. Trump's statement is intentionally vague about that.

Sounds good to me, TOP.
I really don't.

Free heroin for elementary school students wouldn't be the best idea... Just Is my humble opinion as an educator and a mom... I know that you don't like Trump ...similarly I don't like Biden... It will take decades for this country to recover... The last three and a half years have been a personal offense to all Americans and our families... I agree..

“And in CNN’s latest poll, 15% of likely voters called abortion their top issue, placing it second – by some distance – to economic concerns.”
cnn.com
Joe was counting on it being the main issue....That's not the case anymore...

The legislators of each state are elected by the people.

What is more democratic than allowing the people of each state to elect those who support or not support their position on abortion?

Joe was counting on it being the main issue....That's not the case anymore...

Indeed, TOP.

The economy, the price of food, gas prices, home prices, inflation, crime, the border…that is what Americans care about.

People are still pissed about his being responsible for making it legal in the states to take away a woman's reproductive rights.

Do you agree with Trump about the federal abortion ban?

Back