Trump’s RNC speech proved again there’s never a ‘New Trump’

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
For a minute there, former President Donald Trump sounded different on Thursday night. “Whether you’ve supported me in the past or not, I hope you will support me in the future, because I will bring back the American Dream,” Trump told a sea of conservative believers at the Republican National Convention. “With great humility, I am asking you to be excited about the future of our country.”

As with most things Trump, though, any shift away from his usual bombast was surface level — at best. The facade of a new Trump evaporated quickly, just like the last several times we were promised a new Trump. Even when he has managed to momentarily project a calmer persona, a state that lasted only minutes into an address that broke records as the longest acceptance speech ever, Trump remains substantively the same: impulsive, xenophobic and more than happy to go on the attack in exchange for the applause of a crowd.

Even if he did rewrite the speech he was prepared to give as he claimed, Trump couldn’t help but go off script and attack “crazy Nancy Pelosi,” drawing boos from the crowd, and accusing Democrats of “destroying our country” and “cheating at elections.” There was nothing he said that contradicted the conservative agenda laid out in Project 2025, even as he urged listeners to “rise above past differences and disagreements and go forward united, as one people and one nation.”

Back