Turban-clad Muslim in the Oval Office!

The Bare Knuckled Pundit

Grand Inquisitor
Wearing a turban, sandals and a traditional Muslim ankle-length shirt, Barack Obama fist-bumps his wife, Michelle, in the Oval Office. Sporting combat boots with an AK-47 strapped over her shoulder, the two are warmed by a burning American flag in the fireplace behind them as the portrait of what appears to be Osama Bin-Laden watches over the tableau. Having successfully duped the American electorate, rumors that Obama is a Muslim Manchurian candidate have finally come to fruition.

At least that’s the image depicted on the cover of the latest edition of The New Yorker magazine.

While The New Yorker insists it is merely satire, the Obama campaign’s response has been anything but humorous.

Campaign spokesman Bill Burton roundly condemned the cover in a press release, stating that, “The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Sen. Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create. But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

Jumping on the indignation bandwagon, McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds quickly e-mailed: “We completely agree with the Obama campaign, it’s tasteless and offensive.”

Kudos to the McCain camp for boldly standing with the Obamites in their crusade to drive the slightest display of a sense of humor, as well as political satire itself out of politics.

Funny that the Clinton campaign actually displayed greater maturity; not only taking Amy Poehler’s lampooning of the candidate on Saturday Night Live in stride, but actually having Hillary appear with her wearing matching pant suits. She may be broke, but at least she's still got her sense of humor. You go, girl!

Providing fresh chum for the media feeding frenzy, the cover is double trouble for Obama’s image sensitive campaign.

Coming less than a week after Obama’s remarks on bilingualism set blogs and message boards ablaze with charges of elitism and shame of his fellow countrymen, the cover has thrust a favorite of the cultural and political elites into the heart of an ongoing debate over politics and class in America. Viewed in conjunction with Obama’s bilingual statement and his remarks earlier in the year to a San Francisco fundraiser regarding the bitterness of Middle American voters, it supports the impression that Obama is the champion of an elite class that views working class and evangelical Americans with disdain and condescension.

Furthermore, it fuels the fears of the 10 percent of registered voters that believe Obama is in fact a Muslim.

In a recent poll conducted by the Pew Center for the People and the Press, 79 percent of respondents said they had heard rumors of Obama’s purported Muslim faith. While those without a college degree outpace those with a degree by 15 percent to 5 percent believing those rumors, belief is relatively equal along racial lines with 10 percent of blacks and 11 percent of whites acknowledging believing them.

With 14 percent of Republicans, 10 percent of Democrats and 8 percent of Independents stating they believe the junior Senator from Illinois is a Muslim, the campaign is highly defensive in the face of anything that might reinforce the fear that Obama is a modern Muslim Manchurian candidate.

Clearly the issues of classism and faith remain to be addressed by the Obama camp, particularly in light of recent polls placing the presidential race in a virtual dead heat. With these lingering issues dogging the presumptive Democratic nominee, one wonders how much effort it will take Republicans to derail a candidacy that repeatedly shoots itself in the foot and is haunted by deep seeded misperceptions.

With friends like these, who needs enemies, faithful readers? Stay tuned for further updates as events warrant and the indignation grows.

And it's drawing out the debate. I suspect that it's end result will be to demonstrate the stupidity of the wingnut smears and how folks can get suckded in to evaluating bullshit issues. It might be painful but it might be worthwhile.

There were people this morning on the local talk radio station who insist that he is a closet Muslim. I think that this opens a conversation that otherwise would not have come to a head at this time. That in the end this will be beneficial rather than detrimental to his campaign.

And it's drawing out the debate. I suspect that it's end result will be to demonstrate the stupidity of the wingnut smears and how folks can get suckded in to evaluating bullshit issues. It might be painful but it might be worthwhile.

Great point.

I think it also calls into question the highly sensitized state of the political environment. Everyone is offended at the drop of a hat. The only safe political satire and humor is that which contains subtitles and warnings, like the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

The candidates and the country needs to lighten up.

As I've always said, somethings are too important to be taken so damned seriously.

You'd think so. But that assumes those folks have minds that can be opened without the intervention of a SWAT team.

There were people this morning on the local talk radio station who insist that he is a closet Muslim. I think that this opens a conversation that otherwise would not have come to a head at this time. That in the end this will be beneficial rather than detrimental to his campaign.

You always have to say that Damo.

And the reason why is because if McCain wins - still highly doubtful - you will need to pretend that bigotry had nothing to do with it.

You're very transparent, dah-ling. (that's my word of the day, in honor of Cindy Jetson Helmsley McCain.

Well should Mcains military record needs to be brought out as well ?
Church attendance record ? His sunday school projects as a child ?

You always have to say that Damo.

And the reason why is because if McCain wins - still highly doubtful - you will need to pretend that bigotry had nothing to do with it.

You're very transparent, dah-ling. (that's my word of the day, in honor of Cindy Jetson Helmsley McCain.
If McCain wins, highly doubtful, it may have something to do with bigotry. But you cannot dispel bigotry with silence. In this case, people who otherwise would have continued to pursue a line of reasoning like, "He took an oath on a Koran." now have information, from that show, that specifically informs them it is not a truth.

Other things like that, this is a conversation that is better earlier rather than later, for the Obama campaign.

Well should Mcains military record needs to be brought out as well ?
Church attendance record ? His sunday school projects as a child ?
They all will be. At least his military record will. That has already been a subject of debate on this board alone, it is silly to assume nobody else is having that conversation.

You cannot dipsel biggotry with any reason. duHHH!

You don't understand what biggotry is Damo ?
So, you really do think that the plan should be to attempt to silence people rather than hold an open conversation?

I think you are foolish. You can stop the spread by providing real information. If you do not have the conversation, if you attempt to hide it, you only help those who would continue to spread this message.

BS, much his records were lost somehow....
Which was also news. You are grasping. And I don't know why.

Already there are websites out negative about McCain's record in the prison camp. Already we have had conversations about his suggestion that some people told him to stay in and become a third generation Admiral, and after finding out it was unlikely deciding to serve in a different way. So forth. All of these things are conversations we have already had on this board, because of news stories about them.

Which was also news. You are grasping. And I don't know why.

Already there are websites out negative about McCain's record in the prison camp. Already we have had conversations about his suggestion that some people told him to stay in and become a third generation Admiral, and after finding out it was unlikely deciding to serve in a different way. So forth. All of these things are conversations we have already had on this board, because of news stories about them.

Yeah and all as substantiated as Bush coke use.
Easially dissed.

Actual records, not pundit web sites. Recall swiftboating ?

Yeah and all as substantiated as Bush coke use.
Easially dissed.

Actual records, not pundit web sites. Recall swiftboating ?
Your point was that there were no news stories about this, that we held no conversations about it. You are simply wrong. I point that out and you bring up "remember swiftboating"...

This is sad. There were news stories about it, there was long hours of debate about it, on this site. Either you are getting alzheimers, or you have selective memory.

Sheesh. Talk about being selective. I guess Republicans have to keep learning the same lesson every 4 years.

Back