Two Judges on Empathy

midcan5

empathy

"Each day on the bench I learn something new about the judicial process and about being a professional Latina woman in a world that sometimes looks at me with suspicion. I am reminded each day that I render decisions that affect people concretely and that I owe them constant and complete vigilance in checking my assumptions, presumptions and perspectives and ensuring that to the extent that my limited abilities and capabilities permit me, that I reevaluate them and change as circumstances and cases before me requires. I can and do aspire to be greater than the sum total of my experiences but I accept my limitations. I willingly accept that we who judge must not deny the differences resulting from experience and heritage but attempt, as the Supreme Court suggests, continuously to judge when those opinions, sympathies and prejudices are appropriate."

Judge Sonia Sotomayor

"I don't come from an affluent background or a privileged background. My parents were both quite poor when they were growing up. And I know about their experiences and I didn't experience those things. I don't take credit for anything that they did or anything that they overcame. But I think that children learn a lot from their parents and they learn from what the parents say. But I think they learn a lot more from what the parents do and from what they take from the stories of their parents lives. But when I look at those cases, I have to say to myself, and I do say to myself, "You know, this could be your grandfather, this could be your grandmother. They were not citizens at one time, and they were people who came to this country." And that goes down the line. When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account. When I have a case involving someone who's been subjected to discrimination because of disability, I have to think of people who I've known and admire very greatly who've had disabilities, and I've watched them struggle to overcome the barriers that society puts up often just because it doesn't think of what it's doing -- the barriers that it puts up to them. So those are some of the experiences that have shaped me as a person."

Judge Samuel Alito

Funny how much they sound alike.

empathy

"Each day on the bench I learn something new about the judicial process and about being a professional Latina woman in a world that sometimes looks at me with suspicion. I am reminded each day that I render decisions that affect people concretely and that I owe them constant and complete vigilance in checking my assumptions, presumptions and perspectives and ensuring that to the extent that my limited abilities and capabilities permit me, that I reevaluate them and change as circumstances and cases before me requires. I can and do aspire to be greater than the sum total of my experiences but I accept my limitations. I willingly accept that we who judge must not deny the differences resulting from experience and heritage but attempt, as the Supreme Court suggests, continuously to judge when those opinions, sympathies and prejudices are appropriate."

Judge Sonia Sotomayor

"I don't come from an affluent background or a privileged background. My parents were both quite poor when they were growing up. And I know about their experiences and I didn't experience those things. I don't take credit for anything that they did or anything that they overcame. But I think that children learn a lot from their parents and they learn from what the parents say. But I think they learn a lot more from what the parents do and from what they take from the stories of their parents lives. But when I look at those cases, I have to say to myself, and I do say to myself, "You know, this could be your grandfather, this could be your grandmother. They were not citizens at one time, and they were people who came to this country." And that goes down the line. When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account. When I have a case involving someone who's been subjected to discrimination because of disability, I have to think of people who I've known and admire very greatly who've had disabilities, and I've watched them struggle to overcome the barriers that society puts up often just because it doesn't think of what it's doing -- the barriers that it puts up to them. So those are some of the experiences that have shaped me as a person."

Judge Samuel Alito

Funny how much they sound alike.

Yes it is and both are fine jurist. The Sotomayor nomination is just going to be Washington partisanship at it's finest. Most of it however is posturing just as the left postured when Alito was nominated. She shouldn't have to much problem in getting confirmed. Not unless she does something incredibly stupid and this is not a stupid woman.

Work with me here midcam. I'm trying to remember a Supreme Court nomination where the opposition party jumped for joy and didn't question it at all...

empathy

I willingly accept that we who judge must not deny the differences resulting from experience and heritage but attempt, as the Supreme Court suggests, continuously to judge when those opinions, sympathies and prejudices are appropriate."

Judge Sonia Sotomayor

When are they ever appropriate?

Having read through it my take is this:

The more public the hearings have become the more grandstanding and political strategy have been employed. Combine that with special interest groups becoming more involved in the proccess and voila` a recipe for public displays of uncivility!

Her job is to interpret and follow the law, not to rule by emotions.

Yes it is and both are fine jurist. The Sotomayor nomination is just going to be Washington partisanship at it's finest. Most of it however is posturing just as the left postured when Alito was nominated. She shouldn't have to much problem in getting confirmed. Not unless she does something incredibly stupid and this is not a stupid woman.

Her job is to interpret and follow the law, not to rule by emotions.

Then you must be spitting nails over Alito's words. :cof1:

When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account.

I believe Obama tried to filibuster the Alito nomination for the very same thing. The hypocrite. :D

Then you must be spitting nails over Alito's words. :cof1:

When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account.

Work with me here midcam. I'm trying to remember a Supreme Court nomination where the opposition party jumped for joy and didn't question it at all...

I suppose it depends on what you mean by that, but in recent memory Roberts was fairly well received on both sides of the aisle.

Back