U.S. Investors Say It's Time to Buy Stocks; Favor Asia, Energy

Topspin

Verified User
U.S. Investors Say It's Time to Buy Stocks; Favor Asia, Energy

By Rich Miller

May 15 (Bloomberg) -- Close to half of affluent U.S. investors see the stock market as a buy, with energy as the industry and Asia as the region to be in.
:cof1:
The annual Bloomberg/Los Angeles Times poll of investors found that 44 percent of those with household incomes of $100,000 or more viewed it as a good time to buy stocks, versus 15 percent who said it isn't. The benchmark Standard & Poor's 500 index has declined 10 percent from its record high in October.

``Any time prices come down, that's typically been the time to buy,'' said Phyllis Hamm, 59, a survey participant who works at a nonprofit group in Raleigh, North Carolina.

The poll results signal some Americans may be ready to shift part of the $3.5 trillion parked in money market funds into equities. The confidence also indicates they anticipate limited spillover among stocks from the financial crisis that has led to $335 billion of losses and writedowns in that industry.

``There's plenty of ammunition out there for an equity rally later this year,'' said Joseph Quinlan, chief market strategist in New York for the investment-management unit of Bank of America Corp., which oversees $643 billion in client assets.

Forty percent of respondents singled out energy as the best place to put their money over the next 12 months, followed by health care and drugs, at 30 percent, technology, at 22 percent, and financial services, with 15 percent. Investors could choose more than one industry.

Contrast With 2007

Only 4 percent of investors surveyed last year said financial services was the best place to invest. Health care came in first in 2007, followed by energy and technology.

``If you're a contrarian, financial services might be the sector with the opportunities,'' said Paul Engle, a 57-year-old consultant in Clarksville, Maryland. ``I don't believe large financial institutions are in any risk of going out of business.''

Financial stocks have been hammered by the credit crunch that was sparked by rising defaults on subprime mortgages. The S&P 500 financial index has lost about 30 percent in the past year, to 351.26.

Asia came out on top when well-off investors were asked which region offers the best returns over the next 12 months -- the same result as in last year's poll. The U.S. slipped from second to third, slightly lagging behind emerging markets.

``International stocks may be more reliable investments than those here, as reflected by the weakness of the dollar,'' said Lesia Dropulic, a 45-year-old doctor in Ellicott City, Maryland.

Currency Impact

Asian currencies have soared against the dollar in recent years, fueled by rising trade surpluses and investments from abroad. China's yuan has advanced 18 percent in the past three years, Singapore's dollar is up 21 percent and the Thai baht has gained 23 percent. The dollar has slumped 18 percent versus the euro over that period.

The poll of 2,208 adults nationwide included 607 investors with household incomes of at least $100,000 and was conducted May 1 to May 8. The group has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

While investors said it's a good time to buy stocks, the survey also indicated that they have become more guarded about allocating their own funds. Twenty-nine percent of those surveyed described themselves as aggressive, pro-growth investors, down from 36 percent last year.

Given a hypothetical $1 million to invest, the investors chose mutual funds as the best place to put their money, replacing real estate, which held the top spot in last year's poll. Stocks came in third both years.

Asset Diversification

``You need to be diversified,'' said Scotty Reiss, a 44- year-old, stay-at-home mother in Cos Cob, Connecticut. ``You can't put all your eggs in one basket.''

While 96 percent of affluent investors described themselves as financially secure, others who took part in the poll were not as confident. Overall, 57 percent said they were secure -- down from 68 percent last year and the lowest level since 1992.

The well-off, though, scaled back their financial expectations. Nearly half anticipated that their investments will earn less this year than last. That compares with 28 percent in the 2007 poll.

One-third expected the value of their homes to stagnate or fall over the next three years. That's also a turnaround from last year, when only 4 percent were so pessimistic.

``There's a lot of sobriety out there,'' says Robert Stovall, managing director and global strategist for Wood Asset Management Inc., which runs more than $1 billion in investments for its clients. ``It's probably a pretty good time to buy shares.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Rich Miller in Washington at rmiller28@bloomberg.net.

And the auto industry says it is time to buy big pickups and SUV's too. Every industry has a sales pitch to move their product.

I try to be 2 things economic teacher for the non millionaires and funny, these tools take themselves way to seriously.

they are behind on region. i think Latin America is the place to be. big companies are opening up remote sites there as opposed to furthering in india and china.

they are behind on region. i think Latin America is the place to be. big companies are opening up remote sites there as opposed to furthering in india and china.

I would agree. While long term Asia will do well, right now Latin America is a better place to be. China has to work out their inflation issues. If the US Dollar strengthens, that will help them out.

China is the place, they won't blow up like Argentina did and default on billions of loans.
Affluent investors tend to stay away from things that will whipe out their capital.

I half agree with you there. The big companies see what a huge disaster and waste of money moving to India was. Yeah the labor was abundant and cheap but quality suffered immensely. The moves to china, though, are still happening. I am anxious to see what happens with Latin America...I think you could be right in your prediction.

China is the place, they won't blow up like Argentina did and default on billions of loans.
Affluent investors tend to stay away from things that will whipe out their capital.

LMAO, yeah right how about the junk mtg industry ?
the lure of big gains keep drawing them in. Just like flies to crap.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/05/17/business/outsource.php

Brazil aims to be outsourcing giant

SÃO PAULO: On a recent trip to California, Luiz Fernando Furlan, the Brazilian trade minister, went out of his way to plug his country as the next stop in the global rush for software services and information technology.

"The image of Brazil is soccer, coffee and samba, not sophisticated technology products," Furlan said on a stop in Silicon Valley, the center of California's technology industry. "But that's out of date."

In the past decade Brazil has come a long way in shedding its image as an exporter of commodities like coffee, sugar and iron ore. Today, the country is a fledgling industrial power with expertise in advanced technology, making products like commercial airplanes and so-called flex-fuel cars that run on ethanol and gasoline.

Hoping to follow other developing countries like India, Brazil's government is trying to turn the country into an outsourcing center. It has joined with local software companies to promote Brazil's information technology overseas. Furlan has made dozens of trips abroad to talk about the cause.

Furlan announced Tuesday that the government would suspend federal taxes on exports of computer hardware and software and telecommunications services for five years. Already, Brazil is offering special credit lines to technology companies that are focusing on foreign markets.

"The
Today in Technology & Media
Icahn proposes dissident Yahoo board
CBS to buy CNet for $1.75 billion
Please, do squeeze the Chumby
government is finally waking up to the fact that we have a software industry that can compete globally," said Djalma Petit, who is in charge of promoting exports for Softex, an association of Brazilian software companies.

Brazil is a newcomer to outsourcing. The country exported only about $400 million in software and information technology services last year, according to industry estimates. Though the government expects that to rise to $2 billion by the end of 2006, it would still be low, compared with an estimated $15 billion in Indian outsourcing last year.

Brazilian government officials and software industry executives in São Paulo say they are not out to take on India, but to meet the demand for affordable outsourcing closer to the United States.

"We are selling ourselves as an alternative to India, not a competitor," said Marco Stefanini, chief executive of Stefanini IT Solutions, an information technology firm based in São Paulo that is doing outsourcing for 15 companies in the United States, including Johnson & Johnson, Kimberly-Clark and Lucent Technologies.

"This market is expanding rapidly, so we don't need to steal customers away from India," he said. "There's plenty of business to go around for all of us."

In its annual world investment report last year, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development said the global outsourcing industry was still in its infancy, and that the trend was approaching a tipping point "from which cascades of new offshoring will spring." As the world becomes more dependent on information technology, the report added, dozens of countries will step up to fill the void as expertise in new areas and geographic concerns come into play.

Many people in the industry have said that Brazil is in position to take a good share of that market. The country's telecommunications infrastructure is already state of the art, after receiving billions of dollars in investment since it was privatized in the late 1990s. Another advantage is that the time difference between Brazil and the United States is minimal. A rising number of American companies are taking this into account, especially when they outsource data centers and call centers.

Brazil also has a thriving domestic market for software services and there is a history of rapidly embracing new technology. The country's banking sector is among the world's most automated, having developed sophisticated fund-management software in the early 1990s to help quick calculations while dealing with hyperinflation. A few years ago, the country also switched to electronic voting machines in all elections, and tens of millions of Brazilians now file their tax returns on the Internet.

Brazil still has obstacles. Brazilian universities are churning out tens of thousands of engineering graduates a year for jobs in the information technology business, but most are not fluent in English. In addition, most Brazilian software companies are much smaller than their Indian counterparts, limiting the services they can offer clients.

China is way ahead of India economically. Their economy will be fine even if we go into a moderate recession. I don't think there's a stronger growth story for the next 10yrs.

cant hurt to play both asia and LA. i had been in both from 2006. i dumped asia in December. (perfect timing i may add) still holding LA. the LA and China had doubled in little more then a year. 100%+ my initial investment.

nice timing, I still don't see LA growing 10% plus yr after yr besides Brazil.

i think we will (America) start regionalizing alot more with Canada, and central and south America. nevertheless i may put a 5 or 10% spot in china again and sit on it for 10years.

that's what I plan to do I only have about 50 grand in China though.
What countries in LA do you like?

Back