Upanishads

Cypress

Here is what I learned about the Upanishads (Upanishads = sacred Hindu texts):

Two foundational beliefs expressed in the Upanishads are brahman (ultimate reality) and atman (the self or soul). The great mystery every Hindu seeks to grasp is that atman is brahman. Our individuality is an illusion; at a deeper level, we are one with the universe. This recognition can only be achieved by reaching a higher state of consciousness.

Those who can free themselves from desires- those who understand that they are one with brahman-can escape rebirth and gain immortality by merging with the infinite.

Ghandi said that if all the sacred texts of Hinduism disappeared and were not remembered, the Hindu faith would still continue if only the first verse of the Isha Upanishad were remembered:

"Know that all this, whatever moves in this ephemeral world, is enveloped by God. Find your joy in renunciation. Do not covet what belongs to others."

-Isha Upanishad

Here is what I learned about the Upanishads (Upanishads = sacred Hindu texts):

Two foundational beliefs expressed in the Upanishads are brahman (ultimate reality) and atman (the self or soul). The great mystery every Hindu seeks to grasp is that atman is brahman. Our individuality is an illusion; at a deeper level, we are one with the universe. This recognition can only be achieved by reaching a higher state of consciousness.

Those who can free themselves from desires- those who understand that they are one with brahman-can escape rebirth and gain immortality by merging with the infinite.

What happens when you free yourself from the desire for water? You die.

Obviously I meant this thread for the religion and philosophy forum, but blundered in putting it here. If any Mod is stressed about threads in wrong forums, go ahead and move it.

Back