US Economy Grew Far More than Expected

Topspin

Verified User
US Economy Grew Far More than Expected
Topics:Employment * Economy (Global) * Economy (U.S.)By Reuters * 28 Aug 2008 * 08:36 AM ET Font size: The U.S. economy expanded at a stronger-than-first-reported 3.3 percent annual rate in the second quarter, as consumer spending and net exports were more robust than initially estimated and inventories fell less sharply, a government report showed on Thursday.

Gross Domestic Product or GDP for the April-June period was first reported as growing at a 1.9 percent rate. Analysts polled by Reuters were expecting the annual rate to be revised to 2.7 percent.

GDP grew at a sluggish 0.9 percent rate in the first quarter after a 0.2 percent contraction in the final three months of 2007. The fourth quarter of last year was the weakest since July-September 2001, when the economy was in recession.

Consumer spending, which fuels two-thirds of the U.S. economy, grew at an upwardly revised 1.7 percent rate rather than the 1.5 percent pace first reported.

Meanwhile, exports grew at a 13.2 percent annual rate instead of the 9.2 percent pace initially estimated.

Many analysts believe that exports and consumer spending, which have helped the economy skirt recession, are likely to taper off in the second half of the year as spending from government stimulus checks dries up and weakening global growth and a stronger U.S. dollar crimp demand from abroad.

RELATED LINKS

Current DateTime: 05:36:59 28 Aug 2008
LinksList Documentid: 26436425
Fed's Lockhart Urges Patience Amid Strained Markets
Durable Goods Orders Take Surprising 1.3% Jump
Mortgage Applications Rise for 1st Time in 3 Weeks
More Economic News

In evidence the severe housing slump continues to weigh on the economy, residential construction was down by an annual 15.7 percent pace, slightly more than the 15.6 percent decline reported earlier.

Meanwhile, inventories dipped at an annualized $49.4 billion in the quarter, rather than the $62.2 billion drop first reported, a possible sign that businesses are less pessimistic than believed.

yah i noticed that. We avoided a technical recession. Amazing in its own right. Now that euro trash economy is falling, oil is deflating, and the dollar is on the rise we are looking at a nice healthy 2009.

I don't know where it's going but Englands average house price is $300,000 and they make about 2/3 what we do. Not good for them.

The plane was clipping the tree tops, and knocking birds nests out but never hit the ground. Pretty neat flying.

Top - IM looking to re-invest in some more alt energy for the long haul. As you know i have solar in ESLR, ENER, FSLR

IM looking at some wind stocks:
TRN, OTTR, or just a wind fund called FAN

What alt energy plays are you going with?

actually I just saw Digitals PWR recommended.
I'm so heavily in Chevron, I'm kind of backing off on alternatives right now too speculative. May get in after the coming bubble bursting. I'm going with dividend aristocrats right now in sorta pre retirement training.

im a little weary of doing pink sheets and over the counter crap on wind. the two new funds
FAN and PWND is what i may go with. 5% in each only tho. just want some sort of stake.

LSU to show Michigan how it's done.
Florida to pound Hawaii and set back the non bcs teams a decade.
East Carolina (lou holtz) son vs V.Tech might be an upset
UCLA vs FAT BOY at Tennesse Monday night
Who do the Trojans have Virginia, Joe Mcnight will prob go for a buck 50 and average 7yrds per.

Top - IM looking to re-invest in some more alt energy for the long haul. As you know i have solar in ESLR, ENER, FSLR

IM looking at some wind stocks:
TRN, OTTR, or just a wind fund called FAN

What alt energy plays are you going with?

i don;t know much about this Chap, but try Mass Electric...Nationalgrid, is their parent corp, british i believe...

The reason i say such, is because i just heard in our local news that they bought some rural land on a WINDY hill in maine and are putting in a HUGE WIND FARM there......now maybe they contracted out the wind farm so if you research that, it could be a good wind company to invest in or maybe electric company stocks could be a good, more stable way to indirectly invest in wind??? I dunno....

I just know that Maine is going for wind themselves, head over heels and offering big time credits if people would allow windmill farms on their private rural land and all kinds of rebates if you put a windmill in yourself....even solar, maine is offering rebates to do that too, along with federal... incentives....

Back