US Official to Attend Iran Talks...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7508748.stm

US official to attend Iran talks

A top US official is to attend talks aimed at persuading Iran to halt its nuclear enrichment programme.

Under Secretary of State William Burns will travel to Switzerland with the EU foreign envoy Javier Solana to receive Iran's response to a UN offer.

The US said Mr Burns would not hold separate talks with Iranian negotiator Saeed Jalili, and was there to listen.

A BBC correspondent says this is a first under the Bush administration and represents a significant policy shift.

Iran denies any nuclear weapons plans, but is defying UN Security Council demands to halt uranium enrichment.

More at link...

I would normally say something about the "False Comfort of Appeasement" but I fear this is mere window-dressing. Apparently, Burns is there to either look pretty or to make funny faces at the Iranian diplomats but not to talk to them.

Only the Savior, Lord Obama can shed any light on Iran (they're not a threat anyway) by talking to the Iranians without preconditions.

What's all this about shedding light? I thought the idea was to negotiate an agreement with respect to their nuclear program.

Oh, I get it. The bright light of Obama will provide for the Iranian domestic energy needs without the need for civilian nuclear power development and can thus focus the discussion on the military nuclear program without getting bolluxed up in dual use technology issues. Good call.

I would normally say something about the "False Comfort of Appeasement" but I fear this is mere window-dressing. Apparently, Burns is there to either look pretty or to make funny faces at the Iranian diplomats but not to talk to them.

Clearly to look pretty.

officialAmbBurns_600.jpg

Back