US Unveils first braille coin

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/02/braille.coin.ap/index.html

Its about time. They should work on fixing bills.
People in the US seem married to the idea that all bills should be the same size.

Braille on coins is not needed, the size shape and picture make them easy to determine value without such. On bills it is untenable, the braille would be readable for only a short period before usage would flatten it. It would be better to change size and shape and it would also make it far more difficult to counterfeit bills.

People in the US seem married to the idea that all bills should be the same size.

Braille on coins is not needed, the size shape and picture make them easy to determine value without such. On bills it is untenable, the braille would be readable for only a short period before usage would flatten it. It would be better to change size and shape and it would also make it far more difficult to counterfeit bills.

51 different images on quarters. Remember the dollar coin size ?

51 different images on quarters. Remember the dollar coin size ?
Again, a finger that can read little bumps can read the difference between GW on a quarter and Susan B Anthony. They were also thicker. You'd be surprised what my blind friend can tell with just a touch of the hand.

He was far more accurate than my employees with the SBA dollar back when I was managing Convenience Stores.

and at least 51 different quarters in circulation.
And? Which blind person has a problem knowing it is a quarter? Your point is worthless.

*edit, gave his name accidentally* My blind friend, given somebody to tell him what each image stands for on the back of the State quarters would, given time, even be able to tell you which State was on the quarter.

What part of the fact that he is able to read images with a touch is difficult for you to understand?

Last edited:
not difficult to understand, but the point is we are making things more difficult for the blind, not easier.

not difficult to understand, but the point is we are making things more difficult for the blind, not easier.
No, that isn't your point. Your point is you have no idea what they would need to make it easier.

I posted what the best and easiest solution would be. They don't need help with the coins, they need it with the bills and braille writing would not be permanent enough for that to be a solution.

LOL. That was one of his favorite things. Debit cards help him immensely. However, he still has to rely on the honesty of the employee...

Not if the debit machine has an interface for the blind. ie voice or braille.
Sounds like a good lawsuit for Jarod.
Debit machines at retailers discrimate against the blind.

Not if the debit machine has an interface for the blind. ie voice or braille.
Sounds like a good lawsuit for Jarod.
Debit machines at retailers discrimate against the blind.
It would depend on "reasonable".

They can purchase a reader that they can carry with them that will enlarge typeface and impulse it to their hand.

There are other ways for them to help themselves. We are not making it "more difficult" we have given people the tools to more than just function, often they contribute.

I think the braille coin is an excellent idea. The bills should be made different sizes as well.

As for ATMs with braille, most of them are. But I am seriously bothered by the fact that the drive-up ATM at Bank of America near where I work has braille on the buttons.

No, that isn't your point. Your point is you have no idea what they would need to make it easier.

I posted what the best and easiest solution would be. They don't need help with the coins, they need it with the bills and braille writing would not be permanent enough for that to be a solution.

Only a conservative could be this dense.

I think the braille coin is an excellent idea. The bills should be made different sizes as well.

As for ATMs with braille, most of them are. But I am seriously bothered by the fact that the drive-up ATM at Bank of America near where I work has braille on the buttons.

ATM have braille, but the little POS debit/CC machines do not have braille. Maybe a few but I have not seen them.

Only a conservative could be this dense.
Only an idiot with no blind friends wouldn't listen to a person with experience. Why do you consistently chime in on stuff you KNOW you know nothing about?

Seriously, I get embarrassed for you when you start in on stuff like this.

Back