Utah is going to a 4-day workweek to save energy ?

uscitizen

Villified User
Jul 3, 2:15 PM EDT

Utah is going to a 4-day workweek to save energy

By MIKE STARK
Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Starting next month, it will be "TGIT" for Utah state employees. As in: "Thank God It's Thursday."

In a yearlong experiment aimed at reducing the state's energy costs and commuters' gasoline expenses, Utah is about to become the first state to switch to a four-day workweek for thousands of government employees.

They will put in 10-hour days, Monday through Thursday, and have Fridays off, freeing them to golf, shop, spend time with the kids or do anything else that strikes their fancy. They will get paid the same as before.

"One of the jokes is that one of the biggest benefits will be for golf courses," said Ryan Walker, 49, an information technology director.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FOUR_DAY_WORKWEEK?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

A lot of states have done similar things but mainly through flex-scheduling rather than mandating a 4-day work week for all employees with all employees having the same day off. I suppose that wouldn't necessarily cut back on energy consumption by the state since offices remain open five days a week, but would reduce employee consumption of energy (no driving to work, for example).

Damo - Colorado appears to have been utilizing flex-scheduling for some time now so you should have been looking for state employment a while ago.

The entire US should watch this and see how successful it is. Personally I think people comsume as much gas on three day weekends that would have used driving to work. But some people believe that with an exrta day off more money will be spent by people thus driving the economy.

Ohh I think it might save a bit of Gas Soc but you are very close to right if not right.
Now make Schools 4 days a week....
And close non essiential stores ie Malls and such one day a week.

maybe we should study what happened to energy costs during the los angeles Olympics

businesses and government revised workdays to start earlier or later and truck deliveries were banned during rush hour

i do not remember all of the changes to help reduce congestion during the Olympics, just that rush hour morphed into tolerable and congestion was not just reduced but almost eliminated - reduced fuel costs and smog...

I would think that the flex-scheduling would get the same results, without taking away the availability of state services for an entire day.

After all, the main savings are in the fuel/transportation costs. The heating and cooling are not eliminated just cut back a bit. And the lighting is not eliminated.

Plus, studies have shown a sharp drop in productivity and a sharp increase in workplace accidents and injuries after 12 hours work. The closer we get to 12 hour shifts the more likely we are to see drops in productivity and increases in accidents.

I would think that the flex-scheduling would get the same results, without taking away the availability of state services for an entire day.

After all, the main savings are in the fuel/transportation costs. The heating and cooling are not eliminated just cut back a bit. And the lighting is not eliminated.

Plus, studies have shown a sharp drop in productivity and a sharp increase in workplace accidents and injuries after 12 hours work. The closer we get to 12 hour shifts the more likely we are to see drops in productivity and increases in accidents.

sol

i think that they are proposing 10 hour work days - at least i hope they are not so stupid as to propose 12 hour work days

although fire fighters and paramedics work 24 hour shifts in some jurisdictions - or work 4 days on and 3 days off followed by 3 days on and 4 days off or 7 days in a 14 day period

Back