VA testing drugs on war veterans

uscitizen

Villified User
Experiments raise ethical questions
Audrey Hudson (Contact)
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The government is testing drugs with severe side effects like psychosis and suicidal behavior on hundreds of military veterans, using small cash payments to attract patients into medical experiments that often target distressed soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, a Washington Times/ABC News investigation has found.

In one such experiment involving the controversial anti-smoking drug Chantix, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) took three months to alert its patients about severe mental side effects. The warning did not arrive until after one of the veterans taking the drug had suffered a psychotic episode that ended in a near lethal confrontation with police.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/17/va-testing-drugs-on-war-veterans/

Experiments raise ethical questions
Audrey Hudson (Contact)
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The government is testing drugs with severe side effects like psychosis and suicidal behavior on hundreds of military veterans, using small cash payments to attract patients into medical experiments that often target distressed soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, a Washington Times/ABC News investigation has found.

In one such experiment involving the controversial anti-smoking drug Chantix, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) took three months to alert its patients about severe mental side effects. The warning did not arrive until after one of the veterans taking the drug had suffered a psychotic episode that ended in a near lethal confrontation with police.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/17/va-testing-drugs-on-war-veterans/

This is like, a jaw-dropping story. I frankly cannot even fathom Damo’s comment on this.

Wow. The government would do this to our war veterans. And people wonder why black people think they would perform medical experiments on them. You have got to be joking me.

This is like, a jaw-dropping story. I frankly cannot even fathom Damo’s comment on this.

Wow. The government would do this to our war veterans. And people wonder why black people think they would perform medical experiments on them. You have got to be joking me.
You can't fathom it? I just noticed the word Chantix in the story, that's it.

Other than that I don't want to comment. Today is full of atrocious activity by humans in the news. From stomping on kids to parents who can't even tell that their children are dead, to veterans being given drugs after being convinced into it by tiny payments...

The only thing I wanted to say was that Chantix was what helped me to quit smoking. I was warned after I started taking it for more than a month that suicidal tendencies were a side effect in some users.... That wasn't just veterans, that drug wasn't well tested.

Back