vandalism

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
my wife and i witnessed an act of vandalism tonight

we had pulled off of the freeway to get gas and when we came to a stoplight, a minivan pulled up to the side of the road and some children jumped out and took some political signs advocating an amendment to our state constitution and put them in the van

a woman was driving the van (likely their mother) - she pulled out and stopped where there were some more signs and the process was repeated (we were still stopped at the red light)

they then drove off

wtf, we were really annoyed but could do nothing to stop them (we are in our sixties and i am physically disabled, my wife is 5'2")

we opposed the proposition advocated but still yelled at them to stop - this sort of thing is just wrong

Is it possible that she put the signs out with the promise she would come pick them up at election time? I know, here, they have a county ordinance, requiring all campaign posters be picked up within a week from the election, or the 'candidate' is fined. They had to do this, as it was really getting out of hand. It's still out of hand, but at least now, most of it is cleaned up after the election.

Still, what you have described is not 'vandalism' that was what happened when your Prius was keyed. This was someone removing posters, which may or may not have been legitimate. As for what to do about it, did you think to get the tag number and call the police? You could have also called the people advocating the proposition, they may have been interested in pressing charges and getting a TV News crew to come out and do a story on it or something.

I agree... a disabled man and his short wife hollering, is not going to deter many criminals in the act of a crime. It could even get your car keyed. ;)

Is it possible that she put the signs out with the promise she would come pick them up at election time? I know, here, they have a county ordinance, requiring all campaign posters be picked up within a week from the election, or the 'candidate' is fined. They had to do this, as it was really getting out of hand. It's still out of hand, but at least now, most of it is cleaned up after the election.

Still, what you have described is not 'vandalism' that was what happened when your Prius was keyed. This was someone removing posters, which may or may not have been legitimate. As for what to do about it, did you think to get the tag number and call the police? You could have also called the people advocating the proposition, they may have been interested in pressing charges and getting a TV News crew to come out and do a story on it or something.

I agree... a disabled man and his short wife hollering, is not going to deter many criminals in the act of a crime. It could even get your car keyed. ;)

you are correct about the deterrence, also it was dark and i could not read the plate (vision not so good either...oh well)

sigh

Back