We are being drawn into a "holy war"

opinionator

Lately, we hear so much about what this radical Islamic group, ISIS is doing. There is no doubt that they intend to provoke the western world. Sadly, it seems as if they are succeeding. I’ve got a bad feeling that we’re headed towards the very “holy” war that ISIS desires. The pieces are falling perfectly into place.

The ISIS side of things was of course already radical. But now we see some very disconcerting rumblings happening in response to their activities. And this is from those who are supposed to be civilized. In the United States, we are seeing shades and hints of a nationalistic and fascist movement that is embodied in the candidacy of Donald Trump. There are also hints of radical elements in Europe rising up in response to the frequent terrorist attacks there.

It’s easy to see how this could very easily spiral out of control very quickly. I don’t know how others feel, but while what ISIS has done is bad, I feel as if passions and fears are being inflamed beyond the scope of the actual threat. I don’t live in constant fear of a terrorist attack. There really haven’t been all that many in the United States. There seems to be a hysteria surrounding this whole thing that is blowing it all out of proportion. Sure, ISIS is a threat, but is it so bad that we have to demonize the entire religion. With 2.7 million Muslims in the United States, if they were all radical and hell bent on our destruction we would already be painfully aware of it by now.

We shouldn’t be selling our soul as a country, or as individuals, for something that isn’t that a big of a threat. We cannot abandon our ideals because of a few scattered attacks. Let’s try to remain true to who we are as a people while we face whatever threat does exist. But let’s try to keep that threat in a little perspective. Don’t give ISIS more credit than they deserve. Don’t give them the holy war they want. We are playing right into their hands. We can’t become as radical and as uncivilized as they are. To borrow words from the president, that’s not who we are.

Lately, we hear so much about what this radical Islamic group, ISIS is doing. There is no doubt that they intend to provoke the western world. Sadly, it seems as if they are succeeding. I’ve got a bad feeling that we’re headed towards the very “holy” war that ISIS desires. The pieces are falling perfectly into place.

Please!!

Present-day ISIS is nothing-more than your average, ordinary, garden-variety gang!!!!

When you look at the reasons (usually, younger) people use, for joining ISIS.....they're not all-that-different than the reasons used for joining gangs: camaraderie, respect, ca$h, guns & women.

They're primarily a herd o' young-dudes who been given permission to run, wild.....as a distraction.....for the hierarchy that's grabbing profits, wherever they can manage.....much like Pat Robertson does.

All power tends to be built on some version of 'us and them', because it seems to go with the notion of a leader against 'them'. Look at Trump.

the youth can not be convinced to die forever

Keep telling yourself, that......

adventure.jpg

The ISIS side of things was of course already radical. But now we see some very disconcerting rumblings happening in response to their activities. And this is from those who are supposed to be civilized. In the United States, we are seeing shades and hints of a nationalistic and fascist movement that is embodied in the candidacy of Donald Trump. There are also hints of radical elements in Europe rising up in response to the frequent terrorist attacks there.

It’s easy to see how this could very easily spiral out of control very quickly. I don’t know how others feel, but while what ISIS has done is bad, I feel as if passions and fears are being inflamed beyond the scope of the actual threat. I don’t live in constant fear of a terrorist attack. There really haven’t been all that many in the United States. There seems to be a hysteria surrounding this whole thing that is blowing it all out of proportion. Sure, ISIS is a threat, but is it so bad that we have to demonize the entire religion. With 2.7 million Muslims in the United States, if they were all radical and hell bent on our destruction we would already be painfully aware of it by now.

We shouldn’t be selling our soul as a country, or as individuals, for something that isn’t that a big of a threat. We cannot abandon our ideals because of a few scattered attacks. Let’s try to remain true to who we are as a people while we face whatever threat does exist. But let’s try to keep that threat in a little perspective. Don’t give ISIS more credit than they deserve. Don’t give them the holy war they want. We are playing right into their hands. We can’t become as radical and as uncivilized as they are. To borrow words from the president, that’s not who we are.

No mention of the great chasm between Shia & Sunni?

Unfortunately the USA/west have kept pretty much to the script, very helpful-took out their two biggest problems, sadaam & kaddaffi & they have asad on the ropes...

Back