What a Linguist Hears When Biden Speaks

Joe Biden's verbal abilities have 'unraveled' so sharply that one of America's top linguists has likened the president's current speech to pidgin English.
New York Times columnist and Columbia University linguist John McWhorter says the 81 year-old president's garbled speech reminds him of pidgin - a mix of two or more languages.
'It is alarming to see someone who is asking to be elected president of the United States — someone who already serves as president of the United States — communicate in such an ineffective manner. But what is actually going on there, linguistically? One way to understand what is happening is to think of it as unraveling,' he writes in a New York Times op-ed.
McWhorter points to Biden's use of 'chunks' of language, like using clipped fragments in his recent ABC interview, such as 'Large crowds, overwhelming response, no slipping.'
Biden's bizarre statement that he would be okay so long as 'I did the goodest job as I know I can do' – a comment that was disputed and changed in an ABC transcript – also drew McWhorter's notice. He said it made him think of pidgin languages.
The president also mixes up word tenses that show his command of the language's color 'seems to be fading,' writes McWhorter.

These displays appear to be distinct from Biden's driving language issue, his childhood stutter that he mostly overcame.
But in the case of Biden, McWhorter is concerned about the 'rapid decline of complex sentence structure.'
'Pidgins do a basic job but aren’t designed for detail, grace or suasion. Increasingly, Biden’s speech submits to an alarmingly similar judgment,' he wrote.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...nraveled-says-top-linguist-claims/ar-BB1pShIb

Total bullshit. Biden has spoken often in public. He speaks with an adult vocabulary. He speaks in complete sentences. He addresses the subject matter.
Biden misspeaks due to a lifetime stuttering problem.
I think Biden is not the best choice, not due to his gaffes, but because I don't know what he will be like in 4 years. He seems frail and weak.

Total bullshit. Biden has spoken often in public. He speaks with an adult vocabulary. He speaks in complete sentences. He addresses the subject matter.
I think Biden is not the best choice, not due to his gaffes, but because I don't know what he will be like in 4 years. He seems frail and weak.
Yet Trump is strong. Our nation needs to reject fascism.

Yet Trump is strong. Our nation needs to reject fascism.
Who knows what Trump's health is? There has to be some reason he hid his physicals from the people. It is certainly not because he passed with flying colors. If his physicals were good, they would be on MAGA t-shirts. He would talk about them daily.

Let me think about this. Should I take your word for it, a JPP keyboard warrior, or a linguist professor? :unsure:

Who knows what Trump's health is? There has to be some reason he hid his physicals from the people. It is certainly not because he passed with flying colors. If his physicals were good, they would be on MAGA t-shirts. He would talk about them daily.
What's that got to do w/ the OP ?

Nordy, the fact you understand brandons speeches is something I would not admit.

Brandon's speech patterns have nothing to do with his health.
Listen to President Biden talk. He speaks as a normal educated adult. He gave a sit-down talk yesterday and was just a normal man communicating. Trump is never that. He goes off on tangents and spends most of the time playing "do not dare ask me tough questions" and your company is failing and you are third rate.
I disagree with your "expert". I also want Biden replaced. I want Trump replaced too.

Back