What is the best direction for Suicide Prevention?

Which path is a better one to focus?

• Better Mental Healthcare

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Stricter Federal oversight and legislation banning how-to websites

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dutch Uncle

* Tertia Optio * Defend the Constitution
The story below is both a sad one and all-too common in 21st century America; a 23-year-old young man takes his own life after spending weeks using How-To suicide websites and videos. The father, of course, is grief stricken and wracked with guilt. He wants to help others avoid the same tragedy.

Although not explicitly addressed, the subject of legally restricting or banning such internet resources is touched upon as a First Amendment issue. The grieving father mentions something both domineering to the point of abusive and near impossible; monitoring his 23-year-old son's phone better before he took his own life.

Like PTSD, and even worse for obvious reasons, suicide is easier to prevent than to cure. Parents taking away or strictly monitoring their child's phone is not, IMO, the best solution to reducing the teen/young adult suicide rate. Like the Obama/Biden "Cancer Moonshot" drastically reduced cancer deaths and provided better cancer treatments, a similar "Mental Health Moonshot" would do the same for a variety of social ills including teen/young adult suicides.

Allred is sounding the alarm about this website and others like it so parents know the dangers their kids may encounter on the internet. By encouraging parents to crack down on internet safety and monitor their kids' web activity, he hopes he might prevent others from dying as his son did − and spare their loved ones the grief he now endures each day....

...Suicide prevention experts know about this website and others like it but, unfortunately, can't do much about them. Tia Dole, the chief 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline officer at Vibrant Emotional Health, says these websites often bill themselves as open forums and a protected form of free speech. A note on the site Riley viewed describes it as a place for uncensored discussion about suicide, though several messages on it give detailed instructions for various suicide methods. Search engines could try to push these websites down on results pages; however, as long as the sites still exists, Dole says anyone determined enough to find them likely will....

Allred feels immense guilt for his son's death....Dole understands these feelings and says they're common, especially for parents who lose children to suicide. However, she wants parents − and anyone touched by suicide − to know that suicide is a tragedy that seldom has to do with a particular person....

8yuz37.jpg

While there are a variety of solutions to be explored, the poll limits choices for the sake of simplicity. This doesn't mean other paths can't be discussed in this thread.

I am currently in counseling.....until you've seen the other side of darkness, you'll never understand how difficult it is to find a light and a way out. I struggle with thoughts every single day of my life. 988 and the local crisis hotline are now apart of my life. The struggle is sooo real, so real and as a person of color, nobody cares about us.

I am currently in counseling.....until you've seen the other side of darkness, you'll never understand how difficult it is to find a light and a way out. I struggle with thoughts every single day of my life. 988 and the local crisis hotline are now apart of my life. The struggle is sooo real, so real and as a person of color, nobody cares about us.
Stick with it. It's never smart to leave a party too soon. :thup:

Where are you on the "glass half empty, glass half full" scale with empty being 1 and full being 10?

Back