What the Dems know that we don't: Universal Voter Registration

meme

Hummm.
--------------------------------------------------------

SNIP:
Many are puzzled that Democrats persist in ramming unpopular and destructive legislation down our collective throats while seemingly unconcerned by their plummeting poll numbers. A widespread belief is that the Democrats are committing political suicide and will be swept from one or both houses of Congress with unprecedented electoral losses next November. But since Democrat politicians rarely do things that will not ultimately benefit themselves, this column asked two weeks ago: "what do they know that we don't?"

We may have found out. It's called universal voter registration. The Wall Street Journal's John Fund described the Democrat plan recently at a David Horowitz Freedom Center forum. Watch the video:

Fund describes the proposal as follows:

In January, Chuck Schumer and Barney Frank will propose universal voter registration. What is universal voter registration? It means all of the state laws on elections will be overriden by a federal mandate. The feds will tell the states: 'take everyone on every list of welfare that you have, take everyone on every list of unemployed you have, take everyone on every list of property owners, take everyone on every list of driver's license holders and register them to vote regardless of whether they want to be...'

Fund anticipates that Congress will attempt to ram this legislation down our throats like they have been with the "healthcare" bill. What a surprise! Fund covers the vote issue at greater length in his book, How the Obama Administration Threatens to Undermine Our Elections, a very good read.

Leftist groups are already arguing that universal voter registration will solve all the problems with our voting system. But the left created most of these problems. The radical leftist Nation magazine, for example, absolutely loves the idea of universal voter registration. This is the same magazine, however, that advanced Richard Cloward and Frances Fox Piven's Manufactured Crisis strategy. The Cloward/Piven strategy was designed to undermine government institutions by overwhelming them with impossible demands for services. Cloward and Piven focused on welfare, housing and voting as the main targets of this strategy, and the radical group ACORN was specifically created for the purpose of executing it.

The Nation article enthusiastically lists Cloward/Piven-inspired organizations like Project Vote, the ACORN group where President Obama cut his teeth. It also discusses the left's efforts to push enforcement of the Motor Voter law, and explains how universal voter registration could assist in these efforts. Cloward and Piven were the ones who crafted Motor Voter legislation in the early 1980s and pushed for it's enactment until 1993, when President Clinton signed it into law. Cloward and Piven considered Motor Voter to be their crowning lifetime achievement. The picture below, from White House photo archives, shows Cloward (light grey suit) and Piven (green coat and navy dress) standing directly behind Clinton at the Motor Voter signing ceremony.

The left has predictably launched vicious smear attacks against John Fund for bringing universal voter registration to our attention. A Google search of the issue brings up any number of nasty ad hominem attacks. Most notable is Media Matters, the leftist group whose sole purpose seems to be smearing Republicans and defending the left's indefensible policies. They put up this gem: "Right-Wing Ass Weasel John Fund Doesn't Like Universal Voter Registration because of ACORN." Media Matters, what a class act!

read the rest..
http://www.examiner.com/x-25466-DC-...now-that-we-dont-Universal-Voter-Registration

Out of curiosity, what is it about universal voter registration that you find objectionable other than the fact that Democrats may like it?

Out of curiosity, what is it about universal voter registration that you find objectionable other than the fact that Democrats may like it?

Until she finds a suitable answer written by another and posted somewhere she can cut-n-paste from, don't hold your breath waiting for an answer...

Until she finds a suitable answer written by another and posted somewhere she can cut-n-paste from, don't hold your breath waiting for an answer...

Oh gawd barf..
no wonder you enjoyed the show where beck and others "got shredded".:palm:

This would have to be a constitutional amendment, it is pretty clear that the states control their own elections.

This would have to be a constitutional amendment, it is pretty clear that the states control their own elections.

I'm not so sure about that. The National Voter Registration Act (the "Motor Voter" law) hasn't been struck down so I imagine a universal voter registration law could withstand constitutional scrutiny.

Assuming it was constitutional, would you oppose it?

I'm not so sure about that. The National Voter Registration Act (the "Motor Voter" law) hasn't been struck down so I imagine a universal voter registration law could withstand constitutional scrutiny.

assuming the OP is true, are you really comparing requiring states to allow registration with this:

It means all of the state laws on elections will be overriden by a federal mandate. The feds will tell the states: 'take everyone on every list of welfare that you have, take everyone on every list of unemployed you have, take everyone on every list of property owners, take everyone on every list of driver's license holders and register them to vote regardless of whether they want to be

Nice job NOT ANSWERING Nigel's question.

Having trouble cut-n-pasting your reply?

what is it your damn business if I answer him or not..

you are like some old woman who likes to gossip and stick their nose into everyone's business..you need a life sonny boy..

I'd have to read it. If it allows actual verification rather than the "copy of a bill is the same thing as ID" crap then I'd likely be for it. As it is the "Motor Voter" thing isn't the same thing as usurping all election law of a state.

Back