What The Yankees Did To Them.

philly rabbit

Verified User
An editorial appearing in the newspaper, The Augusta Constitutionalist, August 26, 1864.

The vandals in front of us having failed to take the city by fair means, and in open combat are resorting to the last expedite of a baffled, unprincipled, and disconsolate bully - that of it's destruction by fire. Within the last four and twenty hours as many as nine buildings have touched the ground, and are now visible only in smoldering walls and charred ruins. During these conflagrations the Yankee batteries played vigorously upon the fire battalion. They obtained the range by the clouds of smoke and flame and had nothing more noble to do than to drop their shells in among the humane noncombatants at their work of charity, and the frightened and houseless women and children fleeing from the wrath of the two fierce and consuming enemies. Can anything be more typical of the desperation of the ruffians who came here under the illusion of winning an easy victory, or the infamy of the universal Yankee nation? It is a perfect symbol of the fear of the intolerable wretch who commands them. Sherman, who said that the waste coat of God almighty was not big enough to make him a coat, supports his pretentions to the character indicated by this blasphemy in every conceivable way, and rolls up mountain upon mountain of guilt every hour that he inspires the breath of life. Of all the Yankee generals he is the poorest, the vainest, the meanest. He is without honor as a man, or conscience as a human being. His wit, by which he sets great store, is that of a Dutch dissenting class leader, his wisdom that of a circus clown, his temper that of Meg Merriles, his honesty that of Ananias and Sapphira, his ambition that of Beast Butler, and his appearance and manners those of Uriah Heep. his fate will be upon the earth wreck and ruin, the exposure of his littleness and puppiness, the disgrace of his military pretentions and the discomfiture of all his schemes; in the world to come - though I judged not least I be judged - you can imagine what awards will be assigned to a villain, who not content with insulting the purity of womanhood and assailing the innocence of children, points his blasphemous tongue like a hissing adder to the face of his Maker. Ugh! what a disgust the thing inspires! Scorn him honest men of all lands! Cast him out as an odious reptile incapable of good, potent only for evil! A paltry villain, a currish knave, the very Fawkes of society, the situs cates of war, a dull sharper, a cheat and shame upon the name of soldier, the very embodiment of an ill-begotten, ill-bred and destined caterpillar, clinging only to sloth and mildew, climbing no higher than the scum of a rank and putrid atmosphere.

- Henry Watterson, writing from inside Atlanta during Sherman's bombardment.

General Sherman, the lunatic terrorist commanding one of the armies of the divided house that couldn't stand by itself reigned down missiles upon the heads of Atlanta's civilians, at least in numbers of five thousand with many of them refugees seeking shelter inside the city with their homes destroyed by Yankees during ensuing battles outside the city's boundaries. Thirty seven days he kept up his murderous cannonade upon Atlanta's innocents even with the knowledge provided by his spies within that anything of any value to the confederates including all machinery had already been removed before lunatic Sherman began his cannonade.

General Hood's confederate army which stretched from Atlanta to Jonesboro 15 miles to the south was unable to guard the Macon and Western railroad at all points which served as the confederates last provider of supplies was dug into trenches before Sherman but Sherman ignoring his enemy before him fired relentlessly upon the city in what was a completely unnecessary act of war criminality being the railroad was cut off by his forces anyway forcing Hood to retreat.

This incident was just one of many in America's first venture into total war on a civilian population.

An editorial appearing in the newspaper, The Augusta Constitutionalist, August 26, 1864.

The vandals in front of us having failed to take the city by fair means, and in open combat are resorting to the last expedite of a baffled, unprincipled, and disconsolate bully - that of it's destruction by fire. Within the last four and twenty hours as many as nine buildings have touched the ground, and are now visible only in smoldering walls and charred ruins. During these conflagrations the Yankee batteries played vigorously upon the fire battalion. They obtained the range by the clouds of smoke and flame and had nothing more noble to do than to drop their shells in among the humane noncombatants at their work of charity, and the frightened and houseless women and children fleeing from the wrath of the two fierce and consuming enemies. Can anything be more typical of the desperation of the ruffians who came here under the illusion of winning an easy victory, or the infamy of the universal Yankee nation? It is a perfect symbol of the fear of the intolerable wretch who commands them. Sherman, who said that the waste coat of God almighty was not big enough to make him a coat, supports his pretentions to the character indicated by this blasphemy in every conceivable way, and rolls up mountain upon mountain of guilt every hour that he inspires the breath of life. Of all the Yankee generals he is the poorest, the vainest, the meanest. He is without honor as a man, or conscience as a human being. His wit, by which he sets great store, is that of a Dutch dissenting class leader, his wisdom that of a circus clown, his temper that of Meg Merriles, his honesty that of Ananias and Sapphira, his ambition that of Beast Butler, and his appearance and manners those of Uriah Heep. his fate will be upon the earth wreck and ruin, the exposure of his littleness and puppiness, the disgrace of his military pretentions and the discomfiture of all his schemes; in the world to come - though I judged not least I be judged - you can imagine what awards will be assigned to a villain, who not content with insulting the purity of womanhood and assailing the innocence of children, points his blasphemous tongue like a hissing adder to the face of his Maker. Ugh! what a disgust the thing inspires! Scorn him honest men of all lands! Cast him out as an odious reptile incapable of good, potent only for evil! A paltry villain, a currish knave, the very Fawkes of society, the situs cates of war, a dull sharper, a cheat and shame upon the name of soldier, the very embodiment of an ill-begotten, ill-bred and destined caterpillar, clinging only to sloth and mildew, climbing no higher than the scum of a rank and putrid atmosphere.

General Sherman, the lunatic terrorist commanding one of the armies of the divided house that couldn't stand by itself reigned down missiles upon the heads of Atlanta's civilians, at least in numbers of five thousand with many of them refugees seeking shelter inside the city with their homes destroyed by Yankees during ensuing battles outside the city's boundaries. Thirty seven days he kept up his murderous cannonade upon Atlanta's innocents even with the knowledge provided by his spies within that anything of any value to the confederates including all machinery had already been removed before lunatic Sherman began his cannonade.

General Hood's confederate army which stretched from Atlanta to Jonesboro 15 miles to the south was unable to guard the Macon and Western railroad at all points which served as the confederates last provider of supplies was dug into trenches before Sherman but Sherman ignoring his enemy before him fired relentlessly upon the city in what was a completely unnecessary act of war criminality being the railroad was cut off by his forces anyway forcing Hood to retreat.

This incident was just one of many in America's first venture into total war on a civilian population.

Awwwwwwwwwwww...

Cry me a river!

What's the point of the thread?

Awwwwwwwwwwww...

Cry me a river!

So you're a big total war on civilians kinda guy after all, eh Zappy?

Another social justice - human rights liberal with a twisted mind savoring over the killing and maiming of white protestants. They all had it coming to them. Am I right Zap?

Have you noticed yet how a few liberals have already supported the killing of innocents as long as their white protestants?

Notice how I hit their hate buttons?

Have you heard from any liberal or neocon as of yet condemning the moral reprehension of total war because it's on the slavers in the south as they describe them?

So you're a big total war on civilians kinda guy after all, eh Zappy?

Another social justice - human rights liberal with a twisted mind savoring over the killing and maiming of white protestants. They all had it coming to them. Am I right Zap?

If the Sons of the South were so concerned for the well being of the civilian population, then why didn't they surrender and give themselves up in exchange for Sherman calling a halt to the bombing?

If the Sons of the South were so concerned for the well being of the civilian population, then why didn't they surrender and give themselves up in exchange for Sherman calling a halt to the bombing?

So you justify Sherman's killing and maiming of them for absolutely no other reason except blood lust and hatred.

Is that correct?

And tell me how civilians surrender Zappy. How do civilians surrender? What are they supposed to surrender? Surrender what?

America's first venture into total war on a civilian population.

Okay, but what are hoping to discuss about it? The attack in Atlanta was not a masacre as much as it was a firing of the infrastructure and military stragedy center. At the time, "total war" on this campaign was designed to avoid another Vicksburg and following Gettysburg it was also designed to be a lightening attack to destroy as much as possible before confederate troops could arrive in any measurable number. It was very effective agains the supply system and it did actually terrorize the populace into capitulation. I think that, like Hiroshima, we'd have to have been there at the time in order to appareciate what was happening as a strategy. It has also been said that the burning was retribution for Anderville (Camp Sumter). 13,000 soldiers died there.

Have you noticed yet how a few liberals have already supported the killing of innocents as long as their white protestants?

Notice how I hit their hate buttons?

Have you heard from any liberal or neocon as of yet condemning the moral reprehension of total war because it's on the slavers in the south as they describe them?

Do you honestly think those heathen traitors will have a place in the Kingdom of Heaven just because they claimed to be protestants? They deserved to be slaughtered by the great hero Sherman and his American forces. The burning of Atlanta reminds me of Ike's defeat of Nazi forces at Normandy.

So you justify Sherman's killing and maiming of them for absolutely no other reason except blood lust and hatred.

Is that correct?

And tell me how civilians surrender Zappy. How do civilians surrender? What are they supposed to surrender? Surrender what?

News flash for ya...

WAR IS HELL!

If the Sons o' the South-a.k.a. CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS-were so concerned for the safety of the civilian population...they could have surrendered at ANY TIME!

Do you honestly think those heathen traitors will have a place in the Kingdom of Heaven just because they claimed to be protestants? They deserved to be slaughtered by the great hero Sherman and his American forces. The burning of Atlanta reminds me of Ike's defeat of Nazi forces at Normandy.

"Great hero Sherman" is a contradiction in terms with his scorched-earth policy.

Sherman was the greatest Civil War general, and second-greatest American general of the century after Winfield Scott. He was also a hero - he took the fight to the enemy and he took care of the troops and people under his command (a rarity in that war). The South deserved to face 20 more like him.

Sherman was the greatest Civil War general, and second-greatest American general of the century after Winfield Scott. He was also a hero - he took the fight to the enemy and he took care of the troops and people under his command (a rarity in that war). The South deserved to face 20 more like him.

The Civil War was the bloodiest war with the most casualties in this country's history and no general on either side deserves to be called a hero for being part of this travesty.

Okay, but what are hoping to discuss about it? The attack in Atlanta was not a masacre as much as it was a firing of the infrastructure and military stragedy center. At the time, "total war" on this campaign was designed to avoid another Vicksburg and following Gettysburg it was also designed to be a lightening attack to destroy as much as possible before confederate troops could arrive in any measurable number. It was very effective agains the supply system and it did actually terrorize the populace into capitulation. I think that, like Hiroshima, we'd have to have been there at the time in order to appareciate what was happening as a strategy. It has also been said that the burning was retribution for Anderville (Camp Sumter). 13,000 soldiers died there.

It was no such thing. Lunatic Sherman lied when he told Washington there were no more civilians left in the city. He lied again when he told them his target was the railroad depot / shed in the downtown district. After 37 days of bombing, the depot had only sustained several shell holes and was never put out of commission.

It was no such thing. Lunatic Sherman lied when he told Washington there were no more civilians left in the city. He lied again when he told them his target was the railroad depot / shed in the downtown district. After 37 days of bombing, the depot had only sustained several shell holes and was never put out of commission.

I'm sorry; it was no such what? You're not being very clear with any of this.

The Civil War was the bloodiest war with the most casualties in this country's history and no general on either side deserves to be called a hero for being part of this travesty.

I agree. But I am wondering what this guy wants us to do about it now? Should we sign a petition demanding Sherman be charged with war crimes?

Also, I betcha this guy 100% supports bush's "shock and awe".

I agree. But I am wondering what this guy wants us to do about it now? Should we sign a petition demanding Sherman be charged with war crimes?

Also, I betcha this guy 100% supports bush's "shock and awe".

I think he's from the north but his sympathies are with the south as far as politics, culture etc. So it's basically north-bashing.

Back