White House: Israeli Bombing in Syria in 2007 Destroyed Secret Nuclear Reactor

Epicurus

Reasonable
This is an incident I have been following for some time.

[ame]http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?t=5982[/ame]

[ame]http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?t=6013[/ame]

Now the White House is willing to openly state what has been whispered for some time now.

Syria 'had covert nuclear scheme'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7364269.stm

The United States has accused North Korea of helping Syria build a nuclear reactor that "was not intended for peaceful purposes".

The site, said to be like one in North Korea, was bombed by Israel in 2007.

Syria must "come clean" about its secret nuclear programme, the White House said in a statement after CIA officials briefed members of Congress.

Syria has repeated denials that it has any nuclear weapons programme, or any such agreement with North Korea.

The CIA briefings included pictures which the US says prove that North Koreans were working inside the secret site.

One of the images, which shows two men standing side by side, was said by the CIA to be of the head of the North Korean nuclear plant and the head of the Syrian atomic energy commission together in Syria.

The images - said to have been obtained by Israel - showed striking similarities between the Syrian facility and the North Korean reactor at Yongbyon, the US said.

However, the facility was not yet operational and there was no fuel for the reactor, officials said.

Wow I really might have to IA you.

You are particularly annoying tonight.

Go play on another thread. This is actual news.

Seems like I recall a few of us getting ridiculed for saying this was what was really happening during that bombing....

Well thanks WM, but apparently no one gives a shit about anything that happens outside of our borders other than Iraq.

Ignorance must be bliss.

I felt that it was true because the Syrians did not call for a UN team of inspectors to come out and look at the bomb site and show them it was a baby food factory or some shit. The Syrians got caught and didn't say a think about it. I did not know that it was with the assistance of the North Koreans though. That was news to me.

I felt that it was true because the Syrians did not call for a UN team of inspectors to come out and look at the bomb site and show them it was a baby food factory or some shit. The Syrians got caught and didn't say a think about it. I did not know that it was with the assistance of the North Koreans though. That was news to me.

All of this was hinted at by reporters in stories a few days afterward, but no one would confirm or deny it and the reporters could not substantiate their claims without revealing their sources.

My main problem with this story at the time was why exactly the Bush administration wasn't happily confirming it.

The answer appears to be that they were in a crucial stage of negotiations with North Korea, and did not want to see them break off. Bush thought/thinks he can remove North Korea's nuclear capabilities diplomatically, and didn't want to endanger that possibility.

Back