White men in similar DOD civilian tech jobs earning more than women and minorities

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
White men in high-tech Defense Department jobs earn more than their counterparts with similar skill sets, raising concerns about bias in career fields that are a Pentagon recruiting priority, a new study found.

The disparities held even after researchers at the Rand Corp. accounted for differences in worker and organizational conditions, such as duty locations and other criteria that could skew the results, the think tank said in its review of military personnel records.

The report, which was released Thursday, found “a significant unexplained compensation difference among White men and all other demographic groups,” adding that the pay inequities are “especially prevalent when White men are compared with Black men and women.”

“Our analyses cannot rule out the possibility that decision making biases affect compensation and could factor into compensation differences,” the report authors wrote.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us...il&utm_term=0_0ab8697a7f-80bfa732f2-296859855

White men in high-tech Defense Department jobs earn more than their counterparts with similar skill sets, raising concerns about bias in career fields that are a Pentagon recruiting priority, a new study found.

The disparities held even after researchers at the Rand Corp. accounted for differences in worker and organizational conditions, such as duty locations and other criteria that could skew the results, the think tank said in its review of military personnel records.

The report, which was released Thursday, found “a significant unexplained compensation difference among White men and all other demographic groups,” adding that the pay inequities are “especially prevalent when White men are compared with Black men and women.”

“Our analyses cannot rule out the possibility that decision making biases affect compensation and could factor into compensation differences,” the report authors wrote.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us...il&utm_term=0_0ab8697a7f-80bfa732f2-296859855

Men work more hours than woman. It's rather simple. After a while people stop listening to your whining.

I’ve hired many people in my career and I pay them what I feel they are worth by the job I think they will do.

Rarely did I ever pay two people the same wage. Women were almost always lower then the men because they generally miss more work or do not perform as well.

Given the way government jobs work, the only ready explanation for this disparity is that the White guys have seniority compared to the minority workers. On the GS and W scales, you get pay raises for longevity. Thus, two workers in the exact same job get the same grade for doing that job and the only difference in pay is based on longevity.

I saw nothing in the OP linked material that RAND accounted for longevity.

In many studies, it has been found that women are less willing to work long hours, lots of overtime, and put their job ahead of family. They often have less longevity at jobs due to taking time off or temporarily quitting to have children, raise family, or tend to other non-work issues.

Women can perform as well or even better than men in many jobs, but that's not how pay generally works, particularly in unionized and government jobs. Longevity is everything. The longer you are on the job and performing it satisfactorily, the more money you make doing it.

This is exactly correct although I would disagree about longevity. I never based raises on how long someone worked but on their performance.

I had people working for 1 year making more than some people working for 10 years.

When you are allocated a certain amount of money for wages you are going to spend more on the better performing ones just like a sports team and rarely are women at the top end of that list.

Back