WHO SAID THIS??

Who said this???

Question: "What would or should we do if, in the post-June 30th period, a so-called sovereign Iraqi government asks us to leave, even if we are unhappy about the security situation there?"

Answer: "Well, if that scenario evolves than I think it's obvious that we would have to leave because -- if it was an elected government of Iraq, and we've been asked to leave other places in the world. If it were an extremist government then I think we would have other challenges, but I don't see how we could stay when our whole emphasis and policy has been based on turning the Iraqi government over to the Iraqi people."

The conservatives will avoid this one. What flip-floppers Bush and Mccain are...!

What liars about the war!

The conservatives will avoid this one. What flip-floppers Bush and Mccain are...!

What liars about the war!

Maybe I'm reading it to quickly but what is opposite about those two comments?

Edit: What does McCain have to do with Bush's comments?

Maybe I'm reading it to quickly but what is opposite about those two comments?

Edit: What does McCain have to do with Bush's comments?

No, maybe I was not clear enough, those comments are not opposit of each other... they are basically the same.

Its just that the President of Iraq is asking us to get out!

No, maybe I was not clear enough, those comments are not opposit of each other... they are basically the same.

Ok, then what is the flip-flopping you are referencing?

Ok, then what is the flip-flopping you are referencing?

They are now saying, we cannot, will not leave until we "win", whatever that means.

They refuse to follow the government of Iraq's request that we set a schedule for leaving.

Noone will ever say what the Republicans mean by winning. Seems to me we have already won. We installed a democratically elected government that is asking us to leave!

The President of Iraq is asking us to sign a Treaty that basically states what the President has said, agreeable to conditions on the ground we will withdraw.

I don't see a dichotomy or an issue.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121555940908737365.html?mod=mostpop

The significant question now is the pace and extent of any U.S. withdrawal, and the nature of any long-term U.S. military presence. Despite Mr. Maliki's comments, Iraqi National Security Adviser Mowaffak al-Rubaie was quick to add that the call for a timetable for U.S. withdrawal was "conditioned on the ability of Iraqi forces to provide security," according to the Associated Press. In other words, Mr. Maliki is not endorsing the Barack Obama agenda of immediate U.S. withdrawal starting on January 20.

Noone will ever say what the Republicans mean by winning. Seems to me we have already won. We installed a democratically elected government that is asking us to leave!

Today the Prime Minister's words are we leave by 2010. My guess is the Prime Minister will change those words at some point here in the future but either way until 2010 you cannot say we have or have not complied with their desires.

Again, the assumption you have is "immediate" the government is not asking us to do that. They, in fact, state that any withdrawal should first be conditioned on the ability of the Iraqi Security forces to fill the gap.

Did Bush and McCain limit the statements they made to if they asked us to leave immediatly??

No they did not! Is Obama saying we will leave January 22nd, no he is not. They both (Obama and Mallaki) agree on a plan to get the US out, its what Obama has said all along, and its now what the Iraqi government is asking us to do!

Did Bush and McCain limit the statements they made to if they asked us to leave immediatly??

No they did not! Is Obama saying we will leave January 22nd, no he is not. They both (Obama and Mallaki) agree on a plan to get the US out, its what Obama has said all along, and its now what the Iraqi government is asking us to do!
And you are again ignoring that the President and Maliki spoke of this and are writing language specifically for the Treaty. Nobody is ignoring the Iraqi government. Somebody is attempting to ride what was already in the works.

Its the same plan Obama has been touting for over a year. The same Maliki statement that the White House tried to say was a mis-translation....

Maliki has affirmed it was no mis-translation.

Its the same plan Obama has been touting for over a year. The same Maliki statement that the White House tried to say was a mis-translation....

Maliki has affirmed it was no mis-translation.
Al-Rubaie confirmed what I have been saying. Conditional to their capability to fill the gap.

You continue to ignore any other information because you want to tout what you think is total agreement with Obama.

Obama is simply riding what was already in the works between Bush and the Iraqi government.

Let me put it this way.

Any time we finally begin the withdrawal Obama is set to claim it is the same as his plan. Good politics but not necessarily accurate.

Earlier, on this very board, I wondered "aloud" whether Bush would seize the opportunity that the Surge has brought. He came out with the "success equity" (or something close to that) plan soon thereafter.

I'm glad that Bush is looking at this, but the attempt to say that Bush isn't doing what he said he would is just sad partisan hackery.

I, for one, believe it is more moral to leave a strong government capable of securing thier nation after we started a war we shouldn't have (some call this the "you broke it you bought it", IMO we caused the havoc, abandoning them at its height because it is unpopular would be almost equally wrong as starting the thing to begin with). I think it would have been a mistake to end it before the surge. I think Obama's objection to the surge showed he was short-sighted and wrong. That Iraq will almost certainly be better off because of the surge that he never wanted to begin, and when we begin to take some of that "success equity" and withdraw.

Back