Why an atheist can't be a feminist or believe in women's rights

MarcusA

Verified User
https://www.livescience.com/48743-aggressive-chimps-reproduce-more.html

For example, it is shown that "male sexual aggression", or behaviors which would potentially be rape or sexual assault if humans did it, is "natural" in the animal kingdom. (Or on the flip side, spiders such as the black widow kill and eat their male spouses).

An atheist therefore cannot believe that rape, sexual assault or other acts are "bad" or "morally reprehensible" without being a fool and a hypocrite.

(Since such things are just unchanging, faith based, religious, and/or legal and moral philosophical sentiments, that one simply believes because they want to, as far as natural sciences go, they are not provable, empirical, testable, and so forth).

So no, there is no reason an atheist can believe that a woman has or deserves any "rights" at all beyond what serves some reproductive interest, without stealing or culturally appropriating religious or "faith-based" beliefs in feminism, women's rights, and so on and so forth - ha ha.

(The same goes for other things and notions, such as "LGBT" rights as well).

Last edited:

For example, it is shown that "male sexual aggression", or behaviors which would potentially be rape or sexual assault if humans did it, is "natural" in the animal kingdom. (Or on the flip side, spiders such as the black widow kill and eat their male spouses).

An atheist therefore cannot believe that rape, sexual assault or other acts are "bad" or "morally reprehensible" without being a fool and a hypocrite.
Incorrect.

I am an atheist. I think for myself. I have a rational basis for protecting women. I therefore understand that it would be immoral to sexually assault a woman or to allow a woman to be sexually assaulted.

Your assertion is false.

Actually, atheists CAN logically believe that such things are morally bad.

The typical Christian angle when an atheist claims that something is "morally bad", however, is to turn the focus towards precisely how the atheist is grounding their morality (as in, what "absolute moral standard" does the atheist have?)... For the Christian, this grounding (and "absolute moral standard") can be found in the solid unchanging foundation of God and his Word. They can always use that standard as a reference to see how any particular action "measures up" to it in comparison...

So you just believe it based on faith then, because you want to.

No. Based on fact. I am an atheist. I am a strong supporter of women's rights. You claimed such a person could not exist. Posit rejected. You lose.

Actually, atheists CAN logically believe that such things are morally bad.

The typical Christian angle when an atheist claims that something is "morally bad", however, is to turn the focus towards precisely how the atheist is grounding their morality (as in, what "absolute moral standard" does the atheist have?)... For the Christian, this grounding (and "absolute moral standard") can be found in the solid unchanging foundation of God and his Word. They can always use that standard as a reference to see how any particular action "measures up" to it in comparison...

I have a philosophical question for you as a Christian. (note: I make it sound like I have only one question, but I let the three subquestions come as a surprise)

Question: Did God put the morality man is to follow in the Bible, or did God give man the ability make proper morality choices through his intelligence and reason?

Subquestion 1. Are there people who routinely make correct moral decisions who have never read the Word of God?
Subquestion 2. Are there people who are very well read on the Word of God who routinely make immoral decisions?
Subquestion 3. Lets assume there are many people like yourself who are well read on the Word of God and who routinely make good moral decisions, how does your Biblical acumen assist you in your decision making? Can you think of any concrete examples?

I have a philosophical question for you as a Christian. (note: I make it sound like I have only one question, but I let the three subquestions come as a surprise)

Question: Did God put the morality man is to follow in the Bible, or did God give man the ability make proper morality choices through his intelligence and reason?
From a Christian standpoint, I would say that both are true.

One can find such morality in various scriptures throughout the Bible, but one can also find such morality "in one's heart" (via their own conscience, intelligence, reason) even if they've never heard about nor read through any scriptures contained in the Bible.

Subquestion 1. Are there people who routinely make correct moral decisions who have never read the Word of God?
Yes.

Subquestion 2. Are there people who are very well read on the Word of God who routinely make immoral decisions?
Yes.

Subquestion 3. Lets assume there are many people like yourself who are well read on the Word of God and who routinely make good moral decisions,
While I'm fairly well read on the Word of God, I would have to humble myself here and admit that I all too often make bad moral decisions... I do routinely strive to (and successfully) make good moral decisions, but I've also fallen rather short of doing so on a boatload of occasions.

how does your Biblical acumen assist you in your decision making? Can you think of any concrete examples?
The most recent example would be from when the Dane County mask mandate was first going into effect here in WI and I contemplated quitting my job over it. The ultimate reason why I did not quit was remembering the scripture of 1 Peter 2:13 (and the following verses, as well as other related scriptures) which in a general sense tell Christians to "submit to authority"... Additionally, and I know there's no way to substantiate this claim, I feel that God is calling me to work for my current employer, and to quit the job would be to go against what he is calling me to do.

Another example would be the current "family drama" that I've been involved with, where my uncle's family is acting like royal dicks towards my grandmother (and now me too, since I've been sticking up for her). There's always that part of me that wants to get revenge in the "here and now", but I remember the words of Romans 12:19 which remind me that vengeance belongs to the LORD, and I instead live at peace, knowing that God will handle the matter.

The most recent example would be from when the Dane County mask mandate was first going into effect here in WI and I contemplated quitting my job over it. The ultimate reason why I did not quit was remembering the scripture of 1 Peter 2:13 (and the following verses, as well as other related scriptures) which in a general sense tell Christians to "submit to authority"... Additionally, and I know there's no way to substantiate this claim, I feel that God is calling me to work for my current employer, and to quit the job would be to go against what he is calling me to do.

Another example would be the current "family drama" that I've been involved with, where my uncle's family is acting like royal dicks towards my grandmother (and now me too, since I've been sticking up for her). There's always that part of me that wants to get revenge in the "here and now", but I remember the words of Romans 12:19 which remind me that vengeance belongs to the LORD, and I instead live at peace, knowing that God will handle the matter.

Outstanding. You stand as a case in point. Well done.

Back