Why are we only worried about the States' side of the Gulf?

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
I've been wondering for a few weeks now, and it's possible there is a perfectly reasonable explanation, but why do we seem totally oblivious to the fact that Mexico has a huge coastline in that same Gulf? As the oil passes Florida and "may make its way up the East Cost" is it possible a bit of that will get on Cuba?

Anybody know why they seem totally unworried about Mexico and Cuba in this?

I've been wondering for a few weeks now, and it's possible there is a perfectly reasonable explanation, but why do we seem totally oblivious to the fact that Mexico has a huge coastline in that same Gulf? As the oil passes Florida and "may make its way up the East Cost" is it possible a bit of that will get on Cuba?

This will be a windfall for Mexico. Since they don't have to abide by ridiculous EPA rules they can skim the stuff off the surface easily and not worry about discharging water that has more than 15ppm oil in it. They'll collect the stuff, run it through oil-water separators to remove 97 to 99% of the oil, discharge the water and let nature oxidize the rest, refine the oil and sell it.

Entrepreneurs will likely station tankers just past the 200 mile limit off US coasts and do the same thing.

Only the stupid US will needlessly suffer from this Obamanation. The rest will profit nicely.

I've been wondering for a few weeks now.....

The Gulf Loop Current. I think it's physically and hydrodynamically impossible for the oil to be carried westward towards the Mexican gulf coast.

NOAA has plenty of trajectory maps and videos. If the loop current carries it to the straights of Florida, I suppose some of it could get on Cuban beaches, but I ain't sure.

NOAA rocks. Check out their crap on the spill.

The Gulf Loop Current. I think it's physically and hydrodynamically impossible for the oil to be carried westward towards the Mexican gulf coast.

NOAA has plenty of trajectory maps and videos. If the loop current carries it to the straights of Florida, I suppose some of it could get on Cuban beaches, but I ain't sure.

Thanks, dude.

There is also the point that this is a british company who spilled the oil. If there is a problems between the UK and Mexico, why would the US get involved. Isn't one of the biggest complaints against us that we stick our nose in other people's business?

Now when we don't, we catch flack?

this video shows it could reach parts of mexico

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yevt9bFgEc"]YouTube- Oil spill - NOAA models for Gulf Stream current - 6-3-10[/ame]

Yeah, I've seen that NOAA animation model.

It's cool, but it's also highly speculative.

Most of the oil is going to be entrained in the loop current.

Are there some eddies that could carry a little bit of oil down to Yucatan Mexico, as per the animation model? Maybe, who the heck really knows.

I don't think Mexico is freaking out, because I think the hydrodynamics of the gulf are pretty well established, and I don't think there's a high probability of large quantities of oil impacting mexico. Everything I've read from reputable scientists indicate that the most probable and worst case scenario is that the oil is entrained in the gulf current, and taken down to the florida keys.

Are there some eddies that could carry a little bit of oil down to Yucatan Mexico, as per the animation model? Maybe, who the heck really knows.

I don't think Mexico is freaking out, because I think the hydrodynamics of the gulf are pretty well established, and I don't think there's a high probability of large quantities of oil impacting mexico. Everything I've read from reputable scientists indicate that the most probable and worst case scenario is that the oil is entrained in the gulf current, and taken down to the florida keys.

true...very speculative...but not impossible

They don't know what the weather is going to be next week so how can they predict where the spill will go? This is all extrapolation of data; scientifically inaccurate and increasing as the time period is extended.

Back