Why Can't Republicans Govern?

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
The main reason, which I feel is obvious, is that the Republican party has been co-opted by far right conservatives. So what is wrong with that, I here you ask? Well it's because time and again right wing conservatives have proven both incapable and incompetent at governing.

The last few years it has actually been quite funny listening to the talking right wing heads, on right wing media, trying to salvage the disaster that was conservative rule under the Bush administration and Republican lead congress during his administration, by blaming right wing politicians from not adhering to right wing convictions. You hear the libertarian wing of the conservative coalition piss and moan that under Republican control that government has not shrunk, as conservatives proscribe, but that it has grown. You hear conservatives bemoan that Republican outsiders, in DC, have become... well... insiders. You hear the ideologues complain about the Republican caring and feeding of the K Street Beast. Teabaggers complaining about increased government involvement in our lives and the Paleocons who blame the Neocons for the debacle that is Iraq.

My question for them is "What the hell did you expect?"

These complaints from the modern conservative movement are indicative of how truely desperate the conservative movement has become. That is, in order to save the movement a conservative President, whose administration was a failure, and the even more conservative Republican members of congress whom enabled him, must be repudiated by the right in order for "Genuine Conservatism" to survive. The point of these conservative talking heads is that the failures of Bush and his Republican congressional allies is that they borrowed the big government and foreign policy idealism from the left. That by the standards of the modern conservative movement the ideals of Woodrow Wilson and John Maynard Keynes have always been flawed and that George W. Bush and Tom DeLay only proved it once again (Irony intended). It is this irrational rational which also explains the rise of the Teabagger conservative movement and their darling Sarah Palin.

Conservatives now have done a pretty good job of bullshitting themselves as to the truth of these claims but a time comes when one has to come to the conclusion that if the political leaders of a political party consistently depart in disastrous ways with that party's underlying political ideology there comes a point where one must stop blaming the political leaders but must start questioning the political ideology. That time has certainly come with the modern conservative movement.

The modern conservative movement is first and foremost about shrinking the size and reach of the federal government. This mission, to be clear, is an ideological one. It does not emerge out of any attempt to resolve any real world problems, such as, managing deficits, defending our nation, finding revenue to pay for entitlement programs, repairing our crumbling infrastructure, providing adequate access to health care, etc,.

The problem with that ideology, that is, the flawed premise it is based upon, is that once in office, like all politicians, conservatives find themselves under constant pressure by constituents to use government to improve their lives. This puts modern conservatives into the awkward position of managing government agencies whose missions, indeed their very existence, they believe to be illegitimate. In other words, the modern conservative movement is a walking contradiction (if not a glaring hypocrisy). Unable to shrink government but unwilling to improve it, conservatives attempt to split the difference, expanding government for political gain, but always in ways that validate their disregard for the very thing they are expanding. The end result is not just bigger government, but more incompetent government.

Well, as % of the GDP, the federal government hasn't actually grown significantly since the 50's (although that may change as the baby boomers come in to ruin everything). State and local governments have grown rather dramatically, though.

Well, as % of the GDP, the federal government hasn't actually grown significantly since the 50's (although that may change as the baby boomers come in to ruin everything). State and local governments have grown rather dramatically, though.
That may be true but I think that just emphasizes my statement that the modern conservative movements opposition to the size of government is ideological and not based on dealing with real world problems.

Well conservative governments definitely haven't shrunk anything; they've been growing it at about the rate liberals have. The smallest government president since the 30's was Bill Clinton, interestingly enough.

Well conservative governments definitely haven't shrunk anything; they've been growing it at about the rate liberals have. The smallest government president since the 30's was Bill Clinton, interestingly enough.
Again, that's not really the issue, though it is certainly a valid point you make. The issue is that modern conservatives try to split the difference by growing government to meet constituents demands and for political gain but only in ways that validates their disregard for what they are growing (government programs) with the end result that we end up with more incompetent government from conservatives. That's the problem with making the size and scope of government an ideological issue as opposed to a practical one.

y'all are retarded if you can't see that the fed has grown in size in the last 10 years.

SMY, I don't make reality, I just report it. For the record the federal government actually has grown as a % of the GDP since the end of the Clinton years, but it has not been a dramatic growth. Which is why I didn't say "signifigantly". The 00's era wasn't an outlier and was actually eclipsed during the Reagan years (Reagan was the biggest post WWII spender besides the current administration).

Again, that's not really the issue, though it is certainly a valid point you make. The issue is that modern conservatives try to split the difference by growing government to meet constituents demands and for political gain but only in ways that validates their disregard for what they are growing (government programs) with the end result that we end up with more incompetent government from conservatives. That's the problem with making the size and scope of government an ideological issue as opposed to a practical one.

The modern left governs mainly on practicality, the modern right is based mainly on principle. I honestly think that this has had the unfortunate effect that because of the pussy defense liberals have put up the center has been shifted dramatically to the right. But we certainly are better at governing.

The modern left governs mainly on practicality, the modern right is based mainly on principle. I honestly think that this has had the unfortunate effect that because of the pussy defense liberals have put up the center has been shifted dramatically to the right. But we certainly are better at governing.
Who could the left not govern better? That again is part of my point. The right has a self full filling prophecy for failed government as their underlying principle for governing. The bar isn't being set very high for either the center or liberals in that respect.

It was an ideological one to the Founders. Do you think the presidents of the early Republic (1789-1829) were incompetent?

It was an ideological one to the Founders. Do you think the presidents of the early Republic (1789-1829) were incompetent?
You're mistaking limiting the authority and power of the Government with it's actual size and scope of the Government nor were the founding fathers hostile towards good governance as the modern conservative movement is so your comparison is completely invalid.

You're mistaking limiting the authority and power of the Government with it's actual size and scope of the Government nor were the founding fathers hostile towards good governance as the modern conservative movement is so your comparison is completely invalid.

mott....what the hell...really...its ONLY the "modern" conservative moment...liberals LOVE good governance....and all "modern" conservatives HATE good governance....

this thread is nothing more than an pitiful display of your hackness

If it's so "pitiful", how come you felt compelled to post, lil' Yurtsie?

I mean, if it was truly "pitiful", shouldn't it have been obvious without your obsessive posting and ad hominem insults?

BTW, I'm no Democrat, but don't they currently have majorities in the House and Senate?

That Obama guy, is he a a Democrat?

Though lyest through thine teeth! Scope = power, btw...

Today, 06:33 PM
Remove user from ignore listSmarter Than All Y'All
This message is hidden because Smarter Than All Y'All is on your ignore list.

:)

Back